[Spoilers] Episode 806 Discussion

Ran

Honestly shocked they remembered to have Jon pet Ghost tbh

That Jon-Dany-Drogon scene.....made me feel like I was watching Tommy Wiseau's the Room. I literally burst out laughing when Jon predictably stabbed her and she was limp in his arms. It looked so goofy. Which I'm pretty sure is NOT the reaction I'm suppose to have to that scene.

Edited by Adam_Up_Bxtch

37 minutes ago, north of the wall said:

I couldn't agree more! I'm so confused and upset with he ending. I'm hoping GRRM says that's not his ending, but I have the worst sinking feeling it is (except probably a much better small council) which means I think I'm done with the books now too!

Like you, many will now skip GRRMs books because of the show.

Didn't he realize that? Couldn't he have overseen the scripts?

I came into the episode wanting to hate it.  I guess that shows how important the expectations game is.  I thought it was fine for what it was.  They did the big moments pretty well.  And I know I'll get a lot of resistance for this from book readers, but I suspect most of the endings are accurate.  Jon killing Dany, specifically.  But also Arya heading into the unkown, Bran being a council choice, Sansa as Queen of the North (and probably Vale). 

Only one I'm suspect about is Jon.  Seems as if they're mimicking Bloodraven - the guy the new king had to exile for political reasons.  But, that doesn't make much sense to me.  Jon going back to the watch isn't a punishment, it's basically a reward for him.  Whereas with Bloodraven that wasn't the case.  Just so cheap.  Plus - why the hell is there still a watch?  Anyway I think in the books Jon probably dies too.

32 minutes ago, Bradam said:

more likely he just needed a new younger body since his was wasted away hooked to the tree

When their bodies fail them, greenseers go up into the undying weirwoods and become the old gods. They never die.

But Bloodraven stuck around for a successor. He watched Ned's birth and Bran's birth. 

He may have also tried with Euron but failed. Euron turned to the dark side via Shade of the Evening, not the light side of the weirwood paste.

1 minute ago, robasp2 said:

Like you, many will now skip GRRMs books because of the show.

Didn't he realize that? Couldn't he have overseen the scripts?

The ending is entirely consistent with the books. It was always very clear that Jon was likely to Nyssa-Nyssa Danny. Which meant that he would probably not be the one to kill the NK. It is also clear that Jamie is going to strangle Danny to fulfill the Valonquar prophecy which means that they probably die when the red keep is on fire and he is saving her from the flames.Which in turn means that it really has to be Arya who kills the NK because that is the only payoff available for all that ninja training and the mad queen plot doesn't work as well if Jon killed the NK as well as being the legitimate heir.

The reason to read the books was never to find out the end. What is much more interesting is the beginning. We have not seen a third of the true backstory to Roberts rebellion for a start. Why did Aerys go mad? Why did Jamie sit on the Iron throne after killing him? What was the prophecy that drove Rheagar?

2 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

When their bodies fail them, greenseers go up into the undying weirwoods and become the old gods. They never die.

But Bloodraven stuck around for a successor. He watched Ned's birth and Bran's birth. 

He may have also tried with Euron but failed. Euron turned to the dark side via Shade of the Evening, not the light side of the weirwood paste.

Bran might want to plant a weirwood sapling in the Kings Landing garden. He shouldn't be away from his tree.

For all my issues and disappointments with GOT, I'm finding myself oddly okay with the ending. After years and years of defending Sansa, her becoming Queen in the North felt extremely validating (also, that crown reminded me of Aragorn). Bran becoming king makes sense to me, although GOT didn't develop him as much as they should have. My belief that Daenerys is an example of the dangers of a messiah complex (and something of a fictional parallel for Vladimir Lenin) are even stronger now after this episode.

Is Yara still Queen of the Iron Islands? If so, that would mean that there are three countries in the West now: the North, Iron Islands, and greater Westeros (Six Kingdoms?). That actually makes sense from a sociological point of view, since nations are typically defined by a common culture and religion. 

34 minutes ago, Steve Stark said:

Very underwhelming. The beginning was done....well? Her death was quick. About as abrupt as her going mad. Small council and the vote for king...felt fake/forced/something not right about it all. 

Jon going north is fine, but it still felt hollow. 

Overall, for such a great set of books and a series with such promise, it ended poorly, and just left me feeling meh about the whole thing. It's depressing, really, but I suppose I'm glad it's over (and sad it's over at the same time). 

I thought the episode was the best of this season; which isn't saying that much...I thought Daenerys' last scenes were very good; especially the one with Jon; she was in full Daenerys Uber Alles mode and to heck with what anyone else might think, her idea of 'liberating' includes destroying those who don't want to be liberated; and Jon can see that includes Winterfell and Sansa and Arya as well as thousands of others.  

If GRRM is indeed heading for this ending, I'm sure he will write the path and journey's end much more convincingly.  He can always change his mind about who lives or dies at the end, I think, at least for a few characters.  And he would hopefully be more aware of the plotholes/logic fails:  The Song of Ice and Fire, a huge book, was transcribed and gorgeous calligraphy and illustrations in a couple of months or less; Sam becomes Grand Maester also in a couple of months; Bran isn't bothering to attend his own council, said council is talking about funding this and that project with no money (they're all broke, as far as I know, unless Highgarden and RiverRun had a secret hoard stashed in some cavern under their keeps), and is Jon now a man of the Night's Watch or running away with the Wildlings?  

At least Jon seemed fairly happy, or at peace, at the end. (he hugged Ghost!:D)  And Sansa survived and is Queen In the North - hope she survives the Winter.

1 minute ago, House Cambodia said:

Bran might want to plant a weirwood sapling in the Kings Landing garden. He shouldn't be away from his tree.

Bran can make his capital anywhere in the Six kingdoms. They all have godswoods except for Dragonstone.

Arya was the only character i wad really never invested to but she never seemed to care about wanderlust. She always seemed to care about her pack. 

42 minutes ago, TheFirstofHerName said:

I thought it was a good episode.  The scene with Jon and Daenerys was particularly good.  Can’t help but wonder where Drogon took Daenerys.  Also.....did Bran plan or know this all along?  I was happy to see Jon reunited with Ghost and going north with the wildlings.  It seems odd that Bronn would be Master of Coin.

I'm guessing Drogon either took her body to Dragonstone or Valryia.

I thought it was a true bittersweet ending.

Especially as it relates to Jon's character.  He essentially saves the world, but nobody will ever know about it or his true lineage.  Yes, he never wanted the throne and he deep down probably wanted to stay in the North anyway. But there was still a sadness to his ending.  He will carry that burden of having killed his lover.  I wouldn't quite call him a broken man, but close.