[Poll] How would you rate episode 806?

Ran

How would you rate episode 806?  

522 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

Well at least this episode gave some validation to the last one. It was a coldly calculated decision by Dany rather than PMT, or going crazy.

I guess a lot of depends on what they got from GRRM. I voted a six as I liked a few things. Arya's fate mirroring that of Frodo in that she had seen too much horror so she was sailing west.

Liked Jon ending up beyond the wall, hopefully to settle down with a wildling woman. At least they didn't go for the stupidity of him becoming king.

It wasn't as bad as it could have been after the rest of the season.

Cinematography and the actors were just excellent.

But I voted "1" because I will never get over how D&D killed the main character John. He's fought all his life incredibly bravely for the living against the dead - but the writers gave Arya the triumph to kill the NK. Jon is the rightful heir - but not he but Bran becomes the new king. Jon frees Westeros from "tyrant Dany" and was an honest man all his life - but not he but the corrupt Bronn ends up in the council....

Thus, in my eyes, they ridiculed all the R+L=J- story. They punished the hero, who always burned for doing good  to a dreadful life in a deadly desert of ice - to let the heartless and the greedy rule and thus teach us a shamelessly cynical lesson. 

I will never forgive them. 

9/10, the best episode this season. The overall "plottwists" in the episode weren't that surprising (maybe Bran becoming the king but it kinda makes sense as I think about it), they were rather predictable but I think it is a decent end of the series (especially after the disastrous beginning of the season and basically the whole S7).

The worst thing about this episode was how Jon was even more stupid than usually, it took like 30 minutes of screen time to convince him to kill Dany

+

King Bran I can sort of get along with. It's odd, but there are historical moments where you really don't know who should lead you, and the guy with magic powers isn't the worth choice. 

Some great cinematography as always. Tyrion among the rubble, Dany up high in front of the unsullied, the throne being burnt, all very nice.

Ser Brienne Tarth, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. That plot has actually progressed very nicely, well deserved.

Jon's story turned full circle nicely (if you don't pay too much attention to his "there's still a Nights Watch" being a very relevant question).

-

Come on, people like Yara and the Dornish were never just going to accept that outcome. Wasn't Yara promised to be backed as Queen of the Iron Islands if she backed Dany? I thought the whole thing would break up back to individual kingdoms. Maybe with Bran as some kind of mystical Holy Roman Emperor type figure threatening to use his powers on anyone who breaks the peace.

The dothraki just left? Hmm, well that's convenient. Very similar to GRRM's famous criticism of the end of LotR, where Aragorn doesn't have to deal with orcs and that, he just "rules wisely" and we just assume the problems sorted themselves out. 

Sooo much fanservice for Bronn. A good death scene would have been a much better ending for his character. 

I don't give Tyrion's plans for future democracy and chosen leaders much chance. It's been tried, didn't work. 

I'll give it a seven, from where they were it wasn't bad, nicely shot, partly logical.

2 hours ago, Torienne said:

Cinematography and the actors were just excellent.

But I voted "1" because I will never get over how D&D killed the main character John. He's fought all his life incredibly bravely for the living against the dead - but the writers gave Arya the triumph to kill the NK. Jon is the rightful heir - but not he but Bran becomes the new king. Jon frees Westeros from "tyrant Dany" and was an honest man all his life - but not he but the corrupt Bronn ends up in the council....

Thus, in my eyes, they ridiculed all the R+L=J- story. They punished the hero, who always burned for doing good  to a dreadful life in a deadly desert of ice - to let the heartless and the greedy rule and thus teach us a shamelessly cynical lesson. 

I will never forgive them. 

The happiest I saw Jon was when he was with Ygritte in that "desert of ice" as you put it. He said time and time again he didn't want to be King, so finding a nice girl settling down and hanging out with Tormund might well be his idea of a great life.

6 minutes ago, JagLover said:

The happiest I saw Jon was when he was with Ygritte in that "desert of ice" as you put it. He said time and time again he didn't want to be King, so finding a nice girl settling down and hanging out with Tormund might well be his idea of a great life.

I'd be concerned for the nice girl - the last two he was in love with died young, in his arms  ;)

Edited by House Cambodia

5, meaning it was better than 50% of the stuff on TV this year.

A complete bag of meh.

Gutless, generic ending with garbage direction.  Thanks Dumb and Dumber for having too much ego to hire an actual director to finish your precious show.

An unending chain of two-headed scenes shot in the more boring way possible.

The council of the dragon pit was one of the dumbest scenes in show history.  This was the 10 minute version of Bad Pussy.  Why were Sam (he was not representing The Reach, he went back to citadel), Brienne (a non-landed knight, veteran of ONE battle), Arya and three unknown men there?  Literally unknown.  CC had them as Man1, Man2, and Man3.  Grey Worm speaks for the Dothraki too???  AND THEN DOESN'T GET A SAY.  People of color, get in your corner!  Having the largest remaining army means nothing. Bronn is too busy fliming John Wick 3 I guess.

Sam is Grand Maester.  Got it.  Takes weeks.  As does writing and binding the book!  That was clearly the first meeting of the small council.  They haven't begun to rebuild.

Arya is an explorer now.  When fan fiction has no idea how to end an arc...

Jon rejoins the Night's Watch and then immediately abandons his post again?

Religion is simply gone...

As is Drogon.  Who apparently has never picked up anything was his claw before since he doesn't know how it's done.

I liked it - it was bittersweet, in the end. 9/10.

It was a decent way to wrap it up.

So some of the story telling without the books absolutely sucked. Biggest disappointment for me was the NK, followed by Arya's training and Dany's descent into despair - but it came together in the end.

Oh and it seemed like someone better than usual wrote the dialogue this episode?

Edited by ummester

I gave it a 9 of 10, mainly because I like the end and they wrapped things up quite nicely. It all makes sense and is indeed bittersweet. The writing by GRRM is very clear, this is his story and his ending, I am sure.

+ The end was satisfying and more or less how I expected it to be.

+ Most important, there is no Iron throne anymore. Made by dragon fire, destroyed by dragon fire, exactly as expected and long-predicted by me. This is a proper final ending to the game of thrones. 

+ Jon kills Daenerys, her betrayal for love. He somehow sacrifices himself for the realm. Jon banned to the Night's watch is a fine, bittersweet ending and fits to his character very well. He meets Tormund again, has a friend close by, reunites with Ghost on a friendly basis, he will have a good Northern life up there. What a perfect arc for his character.

+ Arya sails West of Westeros, that was foreshadowed so clearly and fits so nicely to he character arc. I glad they did it. She survives, adventures lying ahead, a smile on her face and the Stark sigil proudly on her sails. She is a Stark, but on her own. No stupid assistant to her sister queen. I love this arc from sweet tomboy beginning to tough young lady in the end. One of my favorite characters with a perfect arc.

+ North is independent. Bran as new King makes some sort of sense after all, promises a good future for the land and subsequent Kings will be elected as well. Not democracy but elected emporer makes a lot of sense for this time. Laughing about the people deciding was a good one, too.

+ Sansa as Queen in the North, of an independent North, makes a lot of sense and is satisfying for her arc and for the arc of the North as entity as well. Would have been bad if Sansa would have knelt to Bran. 

+ The sequence closing scenes and the decision for the very last scene is well done.

It's amazing that they avoid a Hollywoodish ending and still get it right with a lot of fine decisions. GRRM pure, I bet.

4 just of the sake of the actors, the cinematography and the music. Otherwise the mentality of the show is below zero. That fact they want us to relate with a tree that’s doesn’t even relate to its old self and actually be satisfied with that it is surreal. 

And laughable :lmao: Good try though. 

Edited by Nightwish

I believe I read they really wanted Tyrion to have a big role this episode. Mission accomplished and Peter D was really good. Some beautiful scenes. But overall I was underwhelmed. Found it pretty boring and anticlimactic. Too many things just didn't make sense. They pounded a square peg into a round hole too many times in an attempt to wrap things up.

I gave it a 7. 

I was fine with the way in which each character ended up, though Sansa definitely deserved a bigger fanfare. We didn't even see Bran's ceremony, and a bit more post-King Bran in King's Landing would've been welcome. 

Also liked the imagery of Dany addressing her army. The only problem is that she didn't earn this right due to poor writing from D&D. A shame. 

Peter Dinklage. I will sorely miss him as Tyrion. Superb. 

The cinematography was again excellent. 

Most things in this episode were very good. It's just it should have been over the span of 2-3 hours, which makes it so disappointing. Bittersweet, even. Heh.