[Poll] How would you rate episode 806?

Ran

How would you rate episode 806?  

522 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

The selection of the new King in KL is the most tragic scene. Stupidity on another level.

I'd love it if anyone gave any logical explanation for the following.

People of the realm follow stories? Is that all required to be king? Can a jester or orator become king?

Haven't several stories spread in the past. Specifically about Jamie's sons? Why didn't the whole world oppose and select a new king? Why didn't Cercei's forces defect after they heard the story (bcoz that's all it takes), if a story is all that is needed? Does loyalty mean nothing? The council just elects the leader of a house as king. However, The house still continues as a monarchy. In time, one house grows too powerful, and the "wheel" reconstructs. How is this smart?

Grey worm was itching to eliminate Dany's enemies he was willing to keep no Lannister prisoners, yet he let Jon snow live as a prisoner for long.

The greatest fighting force who are afraid of nothing, He's suddenly scared of northern men. Why does GW even want peace? Didn't he himself say he needs justice? Didn't he state several times he was not afraid to die.Did he just forget about his queen so easily?

Wouldn't they have gone all out, dying to get revenge? To "traitors" (perspective) who betrayed their liberator?

There is no need for any nights watch, why send "cripples bastards and broken things" there anymore?

With the wall not mentioned as reconstructed, couldn't they just circle back into the realm?

Dany's forces are sailing to Essos. Why can't Jon reach the "independent" north and decide to stay? Who would stop him?

Why does Arya become Magellan all of a sudden. Of the thousands of ships and sailors, none thought of exploring what's west of westeros? No one thought free lands, resources and possibly gold could exist west? She was the fucking first one in the whole world to think so?

So many questions, so few answers, no consistency.

1/10

2 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

That it was George's ending not HBO's was my guess as well, but I can't say why I think that beyond simple hoping. What sorts of things made you think this was the George ending not the company one?

Didn't GRRM say in an interview that he told them how it ends. All the big points at least. The journey toward the ending will most likely end up being very different when the books come out, but the end result of the major characters is likely pretty spot on if D&D were true to GRRM vision as they claim. 

I gave it a five because there were some really fine visuals, and lit so one could actually seem them too.  However, that said, the Kings Landing visuals were also narratively inconsistent, just as time is not dealt with consistently, nor even the cleaning up of the bombed out rubble the KL is.  And we certainly don't ever see anybody actually doing that work, do we? Or even a hint of them.  Judging by the state of bombed out cities in Germany, and even the stupendous damage done to London from air too, it took decades to clear it all away and rebuild, and this was in the post modern, industrial era.

Well an end of an era. I vote it as a 7. It could have been worse. It is a pity that, after describing every feast in Westeros, they had to rush so much to cover everything in the last season. I always thought that was going to haunt GRRM too. Now, I just hope for GRRM not to finish the books as they are perfect in my head. I gave it a 7 because for me all these years reading the books first and watching the show it was always about the Starks, and that is the way it finished. I didn´t care about Westeros, Dany or Cersei, we began with the Starks and we finish with them. It is sort of poetic. I discounted 3 points because of the rush, the where are Meera and Drogon subplots and all the camera travelings, long silences, big words, blank stares, and just bad writing and editing.

I want to thank everyone involved for sometimes making life easier and, if there is ever any other book, I will come here to comment on it. Until then, thanks for all those years of fun (both D&D, ugh and GRRM)

Edited by mermer

2 minutes ago, robasp2 said:

How anyone can give it a perfect 10, is beyond me

To each their own. Perhaps bet on the survival of Greyworm 4 weeks ago and now they are millionaires. If that were the case, I would give them a 10 too.

Edited by mermer

10 minutes ago, Dynas said:

Writing. 

And thats the issue. This series thrived because of the writing. How many fantasy/sci fi shows have their been i the past. Dozens, most of them fail because of the writing being tropeish/weak. We know there is a market for fantasy/sci fi, the issue is, writing it in such a way that viewers/ readers can feel invested in the story/characters, and are not just watch spectacle like big space battles of dragons.

GoT was more a historical drama in a make believe world than a Fantasy show IMO. 

When you have one of the best writers (IMO) in recent history for 5 seasons, then you have to go to D&D hollywood style writers with very little on their resume (other than GoT) it become very apparent that the writing is why is thrived.

If D&D simply tried to make a fantasy show about warring houses that had cool battles and dragons I doubt it would have made it past 2 seasons before being cancelled. 

Once D&D ran out of source material they attempted to re-create the same type of shock moments that GRRM excelled at and made ASOIF so successful. Ned's beheading, The Red Wedding, The Blue Wedding, Jaime losing his hand, Jon's Death, the Mountain and the Viper, and Tyrion killing Tywin were all great moments that most people didn't see coming.

The problem is D&D wanted to rush the story and keep the viewer guessing at the same time so logic went out the window. Poorly executed deaths (Shireen, Barristan, Doran Martell and his son), teleporting characters, armies, and navy fleets, and characters who are suppose to be so clever, suddenly being so stupid became the new formula to create suspense.

Really HBO should have removed them from the project and brought in someone else to finish it.

BTW, I gave it a 4. I think it's still my third favorite show behind The Wire and Breaking Bad but a few years ago it was on track for the top spot. 

1 minute ago, Dragon Glass said:

Once D&D ran out of source material they attempted to re-create the same type of shock moments that GRRM excelled at and made ASOIF so successful. Ned's beheading, The Red Wedding, The Blue Wedding, Jaime losing his hand, Jon's Death, the Mountain and the Viper, and Tyrion killing Tywin were all great moments that most people didn't see coming.

The problem is D&D wanted to rush the story and keep the viewer guessing at the same time so logic went out the window. Poorly executed deaths (Shireen, Barristan, Doran Martell and his son), teleporting characters, armies, and navy fleets, and characters who are suppose to be so clever, suddenly being so stupid became the new formula to create suspense.

Really HBO should have removed them from the project and brought in someone else to finish it.

BTW, I gave it a 4. I think it's still my third favorite show behind The Wire and Breaking Bad but a few years ago it was on track for the top spot. 

Yeah, both those shows had great writing.

The key with GRRM writing is subverting your expectations as a reader. He plays on the common fantrasy/story tropes on what you should expect, but then the twist happens and it feels REAL b/c in hindsight you see all the clues. It as though you figure it out just as the characters do or perhaps right before, when its too late. It is masterfully done and its very obvious D&D are filmmakers and not story writers. 

They definitely invented Skyrim Fast Travel lol. For better or worse, it did help speed some things up which needed it, but agreed, you can tell it was more of a shock moment on a lot of deaths. 

I gave it a 7,  based on the fact that there was just not much material to work with.  I suppose we will never know how George Martin thought it should end.   I was ok wtih Bran being the 'last man standing', or sitting in his case,   First chapter,  in the first book, was named "Bran"

1 hour ago, mermer said:

It is a pity that, after describing every feast in Westeros, they had to rush so much to cover everything in the last season. I always thought that was going to haunt GRRM too.

Some "missing" answers and explanations may have been left out not because of any sort of rush to the finish line, but instead because they wanted to reserve those reveals for either these HBO prequels or for George's unpublished volumes (Winds or Dream) to avoid spoiling any of those too badly. Or both.

Edited by CrypticWeirwood

I rated it 6. Because it could have been much worse. There were many things I liked about this episode. There weren't unnecessary deaths. No epic battles. No random surprises. Just a calm ending of the show.

Though it was very cliche. 

Dany started to remind a dictator. I still cannot understand why she changed so much. In the last episode she was so very wrong as never before. She cared about children and innocents but now suddenly she is so cruel... Ok, let it be mad queen. Anyway she and Jon could't be together.

Her death was beautiful and Drogon melting the iron throne too. Though I waited that Tyrion will kill her. 

Some stuff was kind of strange.

But I loved that in the end this is the story of Starks like it was in the beginning. Jon reminded me of Aemon who also served in the NW though he was a rightful heir. Jon's place is in the north. And people love him there. So for me it was a very nice ending. As I said - after this not so spectacular season it could be much worse.

Mad Queen Daenerys and her death would have been great for the season finale if her madness was better built throughout the show - and I'm not saying throughout this season only. We have seen Daenerys take dangerous decisions since the beginning, but it was all for the greater good without harming innocents and now she forgot her own speech just like that. Losing all she loved in the last 7 episodes can be used as an excuse, but it was not well shown IMO. More convincing dialogues showing her grief and anger were needed.

Loved Drogon. I nearly cried when he started pushing her. And it was very romantic the way he picked her and took her away after melting the throne. Best scene of the show.

I totally hate Tyrion's character now and found all his scenes and speeches annoying. Episode 5 showed us an entire floor falling over Jaime and Cersei, and now Tyrion moves 3 bricks and sees them there, lying dead, perfectly complete, nearly no scratches, no smashed parts of their bodies. I remember the time a little stone hit me in the forehead and I had a lump like a grape, in color and size, for a week. But they were there perfectly pale.

Then we have his scene with Jon trying to convince him that Dany was dangerous and telling him he loved her too. Never realized he was in love.

His scene when he was about to be judged was ridiculous. It made me uncomfortable watching Sansa tell Edmure to sit and him awkwardly going back, the lords laughing at the suggestion of democracy, Greyworm having no vote when he had the biggest army there (not sure how all those unsullied managed to survive), all voting for Bran when no one knew him nor had a demonstration of what he is capable of seeing other than Tyrion, Sam and his sisters.

The last scene in the king's council. Shared with Bronn... really? I accept Sam, Brienne and Davos there, but Bronn? Not sure why Bran wanted to locate Drogon.

Queen Sansa is great. I wouldn't mind if she stayed as queen of westeros. But queen in the north is nice - I would have chosen a better hairstyle and crown for her, that looked weird.

Finally Jon. Another character I find myself hating and was hoping he died since 2 seasons ago. His character was destroyed, no development as he ended in the same place where he begun. Answering "she is my queen" to everything only to stab her and to show us a not-so-convincing grief for killing her supposedly love of his life. Wish Drogon ate him.

My points go only for Dany's speech and death.

I gave it a 10. I know it's a controversial rating but I really enjoyed it. I was expecting a bloodbath, my dad asked me what I expected to happen and I said Tyrion's going to die first and I'm so glad I was wrong.

I'm glad Sansa wasn't chosen, she would've been Cersei 2.0 probably given that much power at least they made a reasonable compromise and gave her the North, which was appropriate.

I liked seeing Arya go off on her own it reminded me of the adventures that were discussed on F&B about Corlys Velaryon.

I'm glad Bran got it. I like Jon but that would've been....idk. I wouldn't have minded it but Bran has the most ability to do it well.

OMG! I was so happy to see Jon and Ghost reunited. esp. after that last scene w/them. Hopefully he finds a nice wildling woman. Plus he would've hated being king and this was his dream...freedom.

I felt for Drogon. That was so sad more for him than Dany honestly and who knew he was one of the most rational characters on the show. He realized this throne has caused nothing but problems.

And as a HUGE Tyrion fan I'm glad to see him survive & really be chosen because he has humbled himself.

2 hours ago, robasp2 said:

The selection of the new King in KL is the most tragic scene. Stupidity on another level.

I'd love it if anyone gave any logical explanation for the following.

People of the realm follow stories? Is that all required to be king? Can a jester or orator become king?

Haven't several stories spread in the past. Specifically about Jamie's sons? Why didn't the whole world oppose and select a new king? Why didn't Cercei's forces defect after they heard the story (bcoz that's all it takes), if a story is all that is needed? Does loyalty mean nothing? The council just elects the leader of a house as king. However, The house still continues as a monarchy. In time, one house grows too powerful, and the "wheel" reconstructs. How is this smart?

Grey worm was itching to eliminate Dany's enemies he was willing to keep no Lannister prisoners, yet he let Jon snow live as a prisoner for long.

The greatest fighting force who are afraid of nothing, He's suddenly scared of northern men. Why does GW even want peace? Didn't he himself say he needs justice? Didn't he state several times he was not afraid to die.Did he just forget about his queen so easily?

Wouldn't they have gone all out, dying to get revenge? To "traitors" (perspective) who betrayed their liberator?

There is no need for any nights watch, why send "cripples bastards and broken things" there anymore?

With the wall not mentioned as reconstructed, couldn't they just circle back into the realm?

Dany's forces are sailing to Essos. Why can't Jon reach the "independent" north and decide to stay? Who would stop him?

Why does Arya become Magellan all of a sudden. Of the thousands of ships and sailors, none thought of exploring what's west of westeros? No one thought free lands, resources and possibly gold could exist west? She was the fucking first one in the whole world to think so?

So many questions, so few answers, no consistency.

1/10

I think Jon accepted the exile to the Nights Watch because he WANTED it. He didn't want the throne, he killed the woman he "love" no matter how poorly it was developed. He feels at home in the north. Everyone knows there is no more nights watch and by going there he knows he will find Tormund. Jon wants to be a wildling, where bloodrights and names mean nothing. He wants to be a bastard at this point where all he has to worry about is just living. 

1 hour ago, mermer said:

Now, I just hope for GRRM not to finish the books as they are perfect in my head.

This is such an interesting comment.  I have hungered for the books for so long that I never considered not wanting it/them.   I have the story in my head now married to the imperfect HBO conclusion.  With a few tweaks, I can come away with perfection and I don't need Martin at all.

For example, my perfect ending was Jon in the North, free.  I just would have preferred it be Jon's choosing, and not because the council had to make Greyworm happy (why did the council have to make Greyworm happy???)   But all I have to do is take all of Martin's books, tweak the HBO show, and I come away with a perfect series. 

Wonder if Martin's sales will suffer from the HBO product, or by others believing they have the ending?

8 minutes ago, Wsc48 said:

Because they would've had to fight the respawning capable unsullied army. 

You mean the totally beat-up, tired, and on their 3rd war unsullied?  What if the council said we will gather up ALL of our forces and your men will die?

Edited by lakin1013

32 minutes ago, TyrionFan82 said:

I gave it a 10. I know it's a controversial rating but I really enjoyed it. I was expecting a bloodbath, my dad asked me what I expected to happen and I said Tyrion's going to die first and I'm so glad I was wrong.

I'm glad Sansa wasn't chosen, she would've been Cersei 2.0 probably given that much power at least they made a reasonable compromise and gave her the North, which was appropriate.

I liked seeing Arya go off on her own it reminded me of the adventures that were discussed on F&B about Corlys Velaryon.

I'm glad Bran got it. I like Jon but that would've been....idk. I wouldn't have minded it but Bran has the most ability to do it well.

OMG! I was so happy to see Jon and Ghost reunited. esp. after that last scene w/them. Hopefully he finds a nice wildling woman. Plus he would've hated being king and this was his dream...freedom.

I felt for Drogon. That was so sad more for him than Dany honestly and who knew he was one of the most rational characters on the show. He realized this throne has caused nothing but problems.

And as a HUGE Tyrion fan I'm glad to see him survive & really be chosen because he has humbled himself.

A lot of sentiment I have found is that the actual wrapping up and ending of the arcs is good, its just the journey of S8 and HOW we got there that sucks.  Most of the stories arcs did end nicely, 

I did 7/10