[Poll] How would you rate episode 806?

Ran

How would you rate episode 806?  

522 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

11 hours ago, Astrotherapist said:

Exactly what I was getting at.  And what I meant is that IF this was so important (which it wasn't) and the North had always been agitating for independence then Ned would have negotiated it as soon as Robert's rebellion began, not after he was king.  

I thought that there really wasn't time to do any negotiating before the Rebellion.  Aerys demanded Jon Arryn either hand over Ned and Robert or kill them himself.  Jon refused, and the Rebellion began.

The North, or parts of the North, could have been agitating for independence.  If Ned didn't agree with that, then he would have have ignored said agitation.  The Starks had been trying a 'Southern Strategy' at the time, no?  So the Starks may have wanted to keep the North in the Realm.

On 5/24/2019 at 1:39 PM, Chaircat Meow said:

I gave it a 1. I'd have given it -100 if I could. It was just an insult. 

I'd give it probably a 3 or 4.  The scene involving Dragon was moving.  The filming and a good deal of the acting were excellent as always.

The plot, on the other hand, was a shit sandwich, just cheap melodrama.  

On 5/23/2019 at 7:53 PM, Techmaester said:

It's clear the writers wanted to give a middle finger to a lot of us and be done with the show. Two years and this is the best they could do? Independent of the garbage writing and inconsistent character actions having only 6 episodes was absurd. 

Yes yes I’m sure everyone working on the show collectively decided to take a lackadaisical approach to S8, to spite the viewers no less.  2 of the episodes were basically like short movies themselves for crying out loud.  

GRRM very clearly stated that he didn’t want GoT to end the way that LoTR did, with the audience having no idea what happens afterward.  S8E6 was not laziness; the show was always going to end that way regardless.

There were no inconsistent character actions BTW, only inconsistent viewer interpretations.  

The episode gets a 7 from me.

It was probably my favorite of this season, which isn't saying all that much; since the season as a whole disappointed me.  I loved the cinematography and the performances of Peter Dinklage, Emilia Clarke, and Kit Harington.  Drogon didn't die; and Jon was reunited with Ghost and embraced both his wolf and the North.  Arya pursues the adventures she's always craved, under a Stark-bannered ship.  Sansa will rule an independent North.  Bran says a few words; and I'm glad Tyrion isn't dead.  Pod and Brienne survived.

But there are sooo many plotholes! 

The Council/Kingsmoot was a joke.  Since it's implied that at least a few weeks have passed since Daenerys' death, there was surely time to summon more lords to the table.  There still should be some more noble houses left standing.  A Council consisting of:  Bran Stark the weird teenaged wizard, Arya Stark, his Night King-slaying sister, Sansa Stark, Lady of Winterfell, Robin Arryn who is Sansa's first cousin and Robin's minder Regent Whasisname Royce, Gendry the upjumped Bastard of Flea Bottom new Lord Baratheon who is definitely a Stark loyalist, Edmure Tully who's finally been released from a Frey or Lannister dungeon and who is the young Starks' uncle, plus a quiet Dornish prince, Yara Greyjoy and Tyrion Lannister who's just been let out of jail - this Council is mostly composed of Starks and their friends and relatives, with Yara the only dissenting voice.  I don't count Grey Worm as a member of the Council; he's a foreign invader there by virtue of his army and the fact that he apparently has the key to Jon Snow's cell.  How is this Council's ruling, that a crippled teenaged wizard who hardly ever talks would make a suitable King of Westeros, going to stand?  What armies are going to enforce it when various nobles start to rebel?  Grey Worm is taking the Unsullied to Naath; there are no more Lannister or Highgarden troops of which we know.  Is Robin Arryn going to hang around King's Landing with the Vale-Knights for awhile and help out Cousin Bran?  

Where did the Dothraki go?  Are they merrily pillaging other parts of Westeros, or have they shipped out back to Essos?

As for the rule of the Six Kingdoms:  How is this new ruling Council going to fund their projects, especially, I assume, the rebuilding of King's Landing?  There's no more Lannister Gold, the Crown was in debt to the Iron Bank, Didn't the Lannisters take all of Highgarden's wealth/supplies?  Is it still Winter in the South of Westeros at the end?  And who's ruling the Twins?  Why would any remaining nobles in the Six Kingdoms trust Tyrion, the Kinslaying Imp who was convicted of his nephew's murder and who returned to Westeros with the invading Dragon Queen, to be the Hand of this weird Stark boy?

And the ambiguity of the final scene was odd - is Jon Snow condemned to the Night's Watch or is he 'paroled' to the Free Folk as the Night's Watch's representative?  Are there more than two other guys in the Night's Watch now?  

Presumably, the books' ending (if it is ever published) will flesh out these details a bit more.  I personally think that with over a year to prepare for this last season, and HBO's apparent go-ahead on more episodes, we could have had a bit more texture and less sloppy-shocky plotting in both Season 8 and the series' final episode.

6 hours ago, ToddDavid said:

Yes yes I’m sure everyone working on the show collectively decided to take a lackadaisical approach to S8, to spite the viewers no less.  2 of the episodes were basically like short movies themselves for crying out loud.  

GRRM very clearly stated that he didn’t want GoT to end the way that LoTR did, with the audience having no idea what happens afterward.  S8E6 was not laziness; the show was always going to end that way regardless.

There were no inconsistent character actions BTW, only inconsistent viewer interpretations.  

As far as I know only D&D controlled the script, obviously nobody else is to blame except perhaps martin. I can respect the actors performances along with the rest of the crew while viewing the season itself as an insult towards the viewers.

Edited by Techmaester

I have to wonder if they didn't show Jon confessing/explaining how Dany died because they couldn't write a satisfying way to show it.  How did Grey Worm not kill him like he killed kneeling Lannisters?

I wondered if we didn't see Sansa's and Arya's reaction to learning Jon's parentage onscreen because there was going to be some curve ball when the audience found out.  But there wasn't.  

Leaving important scenes to our imagination feels like more of an indictment of the writers.

On 5/27/2019 at 1:26 AM, Raksha 2014 said:

How is this new ruling Council going to fund their projects, especially, I assume, the rebuilding of King's Landing?

Indeed, yet judging by how Tyrion explored around the Red Keep looking for the twins and the other scenes set in the Keep later in the episode, the Red Keep magically repaired and rebuilt itself, so no funds were needed. ;-)

16 hours ago, storm.131 said:

How is this new ruling Council going to fund their projects, especially, I assume, the rebuilding of King's Landing?

They made Bronn Master of Coin because as Lord of The Reach, he holds the most valuable agricultural land. So he's expected to dip in and fund the Crown like Tywin did before. So the kingdom will be good for boats and brothels. Beyond that, it'll be the same as before - going cap-in-hand to the Iron Bank. They will be happy to lend since with peace throughout the continent they can expect a secure return on their investments.

3 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

They made Bronn Master of Coin because as Lord of The Reach, he holds the most valuable agricultural land. So he's expected to dip in and fund the Crown like Tywin did before. So the kingdom will be good for boats and brothels. Beyond that, it'll be the same as before - going cap-in-hand to the Iron Bank. They will be happy to lend since with peace throughout the continent they can expect a secure return on their investments.

If he could hold it, then Bronn really won the Games of Thrones. This is not even a bittersweet ending since it's all sweet and no bitter for Bronn. Everyone else has suffered traumatic losses  while he gained everything. Not only does he get to tax Oldtown, he'll now own all the best property in KL. This level of fan service is outrageous.

I'm not sure how the Iron Bank would be expected to forgive Cersei's debt.  It's not like you melt the throne and suddenly you are a new kingdom.  Cersei's debt directly links to Bobby B's and Joffery's and Tommen's.

On the throne is Bobby's partner in taking the throne and his hand's son.  His hand was the hand for Joffery and son/brother of the previous regime's hand and ruler.  They did not gain the through Dany's conquest, but by reconquering the throne from her.  

Bran's rule begins massively in debt and lacks his principle source of gold.  (There is no way the Iron bank is not aware of this by now). He is in financial trouble.