Best and worst TV series finales, and where does GoT rank? *Spoilers*

SansaJonRule

I had no problem with the GoT finale...  after those two huge battles, it would have had to be anti climactic... and the fates of all the players were fine with me... 

That said, I'll say that Black sails was among my favorite finales....  The Americans was great.... Spartacus was terrific.... The Wire, Halt and Catch Fire, and Breaking Bad were all great... and I'm a total sap who got all misty at the Newsroom finale...

The worst --IMO-- Dexter was embarrassingly atrocious, as was Sons of Anarchy... and Boardwalk Empire was disappointing... 

First elephant in the room... Everyone knows how much I love Sansa. That said, the finale didn't completely suck. But, it is hard to like it. It really is.

The best finale I have ever seen - The Americans. That was masterpiece in acting, writing, directing, music. Everything landed where it should. 

As for TBBT, that was absurd. I mean... That Nobel speech reeked of cheap moments.

I remember being thoroughly affected by the slap at the ending of "The Good Wife". "Downton Abbey" finished in a rather mediocre way. 

Sense8 finale was an explosion of love. Especially the last scene, followed by the wonderful music by Ludovico Einaudi.

I remember "Six Feet Under" having an interesting montage at the end.

Unfortunately, "Daredevil" ended after 3rd season, so that last episode is now a final one. I liked that.

47 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, I did not know that HoC was originally a British show. Ya'll should try harder to get things played over here. We clearly love remaking your content, just with poorer outcomes. 

It did air here on PBS in 1991.  It won an Emmy for writing.  I super enjoyed it back then.

44 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Agreed with Black Sails. That ended well. I wish I remembered Blackadder's finale. Love the show, just don't remember how it ended. Some of the most quotable lines in any comedy.

With them going over the top in a suicidal charge. 

Ok so here's what I got written down literally on the back of an envelope in terms of shows mentioned that I've watched and haven't commented on:  Friends, Parks and Rec, BB, Wire, Mad Men, Office (American version), Justified, West Wing, Seinfeld.  Regarding Frasier, House of Cards, Big Bang Theory, didn't make it to the finale.  That goes for HIMYM too I suppose, but I didn't really watch that show in general. Only reason I watch BBT is because I'm an insomniac and it's always on, like Law & Order.  Anyway, between those and that of which I've mentioned - Sopranos, LOST, Dexter, GoT, sure I'm forgetting something.  Let's do a list:

1. Sopranos
  2. Mad Men
  3. West Wing
  4. Wire
  5. Justified
  6. Breaking Bad
  7. Seinfeld
  8. Parks & Rec
  9. LOST
  10. Friends
  11. GoT
  12. Office
  13. Dexter

Oh, there's Weeds too.  Def be near the bottom there.  Those are the shows I wasted my time with the past 20 years, more or less.  Sarah Connor Chronicles and Penny Dreadful too, or course, but other than the zombies that's pretty much it, I think.

Best: Six Feet Under, Sopranos, The Leftovers, The Americans, Mad Men

Worst: Game of Thrones, Lost, Vinyl, House of Cards, Heroes

I loved the Breaking Bad finale when I first watched, but in retrospect maybe everything came together a bit too neatly for it to be one of the all-time bests. I feel the opposite with the Deadwood finale (if we ignore the upcoming movie); felt at first extremely disappointed about the cancellation which meant the show wouldn't get the proper send-off. However, on re-watches I enjoy the season three ending quite a bit. Al muttering to himself "He want me to tell him something pretty...." is a fairly great line to go out on.

It's up there with Ally McBeal and Grey's Anatomy.

The way to look at this is the Game of Thrones guys found a way to remain good friends of George- - - by finishing the show this way they didn't step on his finale or overshadow it or look competitive with his genius.  The show's end was like an advertisement for reading the real conclusion to get satisfaction , to get the nutrients missing from a TV diet.

18 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

I had no problem with the GoT finale...  after those two huge battles, it would have had to be anti climactic... and the fates of all the players were fine with me... 

That said, I'll say that Black sails was among my favorite finales....  The Americans was great.... Spartacus was terrific.... The Wire, Halt and Catch Fire, and Breaking Bad were all great... and I'm a total sap who got all misty at the Newsroom finale...

The worst --IMO-- Dexter was embarrassingly atrocious, as was Sons of Anarchy... and Boardwalk Empire was disappointing... 

Spartacus is another one i forgot. It was also excellent

19 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

I had no problem with the GoT finale...  after those two huge battles, it would have had to be anti climactic

I've got no problem with people liking the finale obviously even if I find that surprising but I've gotta say I don't get this sort of reasoning. In the hands of a good writer the wind down after a big climax doesn't have to be anti-clmactic at all, and in this case even moreso coz there was still plenty of dramatic stuff left to do.

23 hours ago, Risto said:

First elephant in the room... Everyone knows how much I love Sansa. That said, the finale didn't completely suck. But, it is hard to like it. It really is.

The best finale I have ever seen - The Americans. That was masterpiece in acting, writing, directing, music. Everything landed where it should. 

I, for one, loved the GOT finale and didn’t find it hard to like at all. After The Shield, it’s my second favorite finale.

The Americans had an incredible finale as well, though I had one or two issues with it. I agree the music and acting was outstanding. I’m so glad the writer/writers won an Emmy for it.

Archived