Purpose of the wall now ?

gmaybe I've missed something but there would be no chance of the NK returning, so what is there to protect the 7 kingdoms from now ? are the nights watch still required ?

I would also imagine to prevent any further uprisings it would best for all of the people to mingle, not divide again.... I know this wouldn't happen in Jons lifetime but 50/100 years from now... will history not end up repeating itself.. Wildlings wanting what the fancy folk have beyond the wall.

Also seems with Scotland ( The North) being independent again this is most likely never to chance aslong as there is a Stark in the north ruling and a Stark ruling the 6 Kingdoms so that was a smart move to have a Stark ruling every part of Westeros... 6 Kingdoms, North, The wall and Beyond.

The true test will come when Bran either passes on or if the Lords vote in someone else... whether they seek to absorb and become 7 kingdoms again.

2 minutes ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

Maybe my eyes played tricks on me I am half asleep.. but it looked like the wall had been repaired ?

Different part of the wall. The breach was at Eastwatch a hundred miles to the East.

The show hasn't alluded to it and I thought it would, and it's clear the books will be different, but it seems pretty stupid the COTF would only create one WW and let him try to destroy the First Men on his own. If they created the NK to fight the First Men, they must have created a lot more. 

I thought okay maybe the NK was a rogue one trying to fulfill his purpose, and others are still roaming in the land of always winter, or hibernating or whatever and Bran will tell Jon we need to be ready for when they're back...

1 minute ago, hallam said:

Different part of the wall. The breach was at Eastwatch a hundred miles to the East.

ahhh that explains a lot now, so the Nights watch are defunct and he is just slipping off into the wild, kinda fcuks up any chance of Arya,Sansa,Tyrion  ever coming to visit him at the wall.

Also where was the goodbye to SAM!! 

Tyrion kind of summed it up, I thought.  They still need a place to send people too important to kill while also effectively writing them off (they can no longer marry), along with a place where criminals can opt to be sent rather than be maimed for their crimes.  

And really, no one believed the Others were real at the start of this story and the Night's Watch still existed.  It'll basically go back to being what it was shortly before the series started, only with the wildlings on peaceful terms with the Watch.

From whatever threat might happen to arise in the future.

I don't think the land north of the wall is going to inhospitably cold all the time anymore. As the Free Folk are leaving the wall, the camera quickly pans in on a shoot of grass, and it is very sunny everywhere else. Apparently, the question of whether the presence of the WW in the world was the reason for the strange turning of the seasons. Therefore, it is much more conceivable that invaders from other lands would invade from the sparsely populated far north. Esp since we don't know what is west of Westeros, yet.

22 minutes ago, King Jon Snow Stark said:

It’s the border between Sansa’s Kingdom and Wilding territory/Jon’s kingdom(?). 

The Night's Watch is its own kingdom? So Jon's punishment for regicide and kinslaying is to rule a vast portion of the continent?

10 minutes ago, darmody said:

The Night's Watch is its own kingdom? So Jon's punishment for regicide and kinslaying is to rule a vast portion of the continent?

That's basically what happened. He wasnt punished but Greyworm bought off on it is apparently the narrative there.

Archived