Jump to content

Recommended Posts

As there isn't any hint of the NK/WW/wights coming back, I suppose that there isn't a purpose of The Wall. But there is a purpose of Night's Watch and that's getting rid of people (like Jon).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

As there isn't any hint of the NK/WW/wights coming back, I suppose that there isn't a purpose of The Wall. But there is a purpose of Night's Watch and that's getting rid of people (like Jon).

The free folk are not citizens of the kingdom of Sansa. And that is what I got from episode the watch will always exist it’s a place to dump unwanted men. That’s what it was in season 1 until they found the night king really existed and wasn’t a story. 

Edited by King Jon Snow Stark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

A place to banish Jon so Sansa & Bran (a girl & a handicapped boy) can run things.  Now ask what was the purpose of R+L=J?  That’s an even bigger mystery. 

In a more fleshed-out work, it would serve as the final, complete challenge to Dany's claim to the throne, and the lynchpin that sends her over the edge.  Didn't get played up nearly so much in the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It just seemed like a ruse to get Jon out of captivity. Grey Worm was sold it against revenge and at least in their minds is unlikely to head North to find out. Jon goes North to live with the Wildlings/Free-folk where he's at peace and with his people. They basically showed you that Tormund was in charge up there as castle Black was just him and the rest of the Wildlings who were left after the battle of Winterfell. By the looks of it mainly women and children so Jon and Tormund are gonna have to help repopulate the North with mass amounts of Targ and Giantsbane bastards.

Jons not really punished with this but he does have to live with himself and all the bad stuff he's done and as he said, he thinks he made the wrong decision killing Dany, he quoted Aemon and Aemons other quote was he'd have to live with his decision for the rest of his life, right or wrong. That's his punishment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ron2112 said:

In a more fleshed-out work, it would serve as the final, complete challenge to Dany's claim to the throne, and the lynchpin that sends her over the edge.  Didn't get played up nearly so much in the show.

I hope we get to read it one day.  I just can’t help but feel George is heartbroken that the show has spoiled all the major keystrokes of his tale.  Where will he find the creative motivation to finish if it’s only gonna end the same way the series has already SHOWN us?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It’s a prison. Whilst there’s air in Jon’s lungs, there’s a living Targaryen.

Edited by Calaryion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

gmaybe I've missed something but there would be no chance of the NK returning, so what is there to protect the 7 kingdoms from now ? are the nights watch still required ?

This wasn't the first appearance of the Others and White Walkers, they were defeated once before, so it's safe to asume they could appear again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, King Jon Snow Stark said:

Nights watch has a large section of land that they are in charge of. I meant did Jon just leave the Nights watch.

They seemed to be implying it with the change of music to more upbeat when the gate closed and Jon turns back to the front and smiles.

But hey, we're trying to analyze a script some 8th graders mailed in, so who knows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I hope we get to read it one day.  I just can’t help but feel George is heartbroken that the show has spoiled all the major keystrokes of his tale.  Where will he find the creative motivation to finish if it’s only gonna end the same way the series has already SHOWN us?

I have to say, that episode 6 was one of the better episodes of the show and that the showrunners managed to end Game of Thrones better than I expected after the last three episodes.

So, yes, George might have to live with the fact, that the major milestones of his story are now known facts. But I also think, that he can tell a much better story, in a better pace, with superior character development then the show did in the last two (or more) sessions. The destination is known but the long road to reach it is far more interesting in my opinion. And don't forget, the show did a lot of things differently than the books. Doran is still alive and scheming, we have lady Stoneheart, we have (fake?) Aegon, Sansa never married Ramsey and will do her thing in the Vale. So I'm still interested as before to see how it all ends in the books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wolfking007 said:

This wasn't the first appearance of the Others and White Walkers, they were defeated once before, so it's safe to asume they could appear again.

But again I may be wrong but when you say defeated they were forced back into hiding though ? this time round they were actually killed which is harder to come back from or did I miss the NK dying a first time previously ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, briantw said:

And really, no one believed the Others were real at the start of this story and the Night's Watch still existed.  It'll basically go back to being what it was shortly before the series started, only with the wildlings on peaceful terms with the Watch.

Sure, but the Wildlings were a real and well-known threat.

Now, with the seasons being more in order again and the White Walkers out of the way, odds are that there will be far better relations between both sides. A massive border wall won't be needed anymore, though of course some degree of military reaction force is always good to be on the safe side.

As for Jon, one can assume that the rest of the Night's Watch tasked him with bringing the Free Folk (some of them at least) back North where they would be able to settle down once again and live freely - and actually more freely than ever before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Clueless Northman said:

Sure, but the Wildlings were a real and well-known threat.

Now, with the seasons being more in order again and the White Walkers out of the way, odds are that there will be far better relations between both sides. A massive border wall won't be needed anymore, though of course some degree of military reaction force is always good to be on the safe side.

As for Jon, one can assume that the rest of the Night's Watch tasked him with bringing the Free Folk (some of them at least) back North where they would be able to settle down once again and live freely - and actually more freely than ever before.

For a few years, maybe even a generation.  Then the cycle will begin again.  The tribalism of the human race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It’s just another huge plot hole or crater in the disaster that is season 8. There is no point to the Nights Watch. The white walkers are gone and dealt with according to the show. The wildlings are part of the Northmen too as they were integrated into their kingdom. Moreover, the north is “independent”. Why should the six kingdoms care about sending people (voluntarily or involuntarily) all the way there? On the other hand, why would the North even want to accept their undesirables? In other words, the whole concept of the wall existing anymore makes no sense anymore.

It makes sense that Jon would want to go back to the north but the whole contrived way to get him there makes no sense to me. And if you ask me as well, keeping the NW will again worsen and demonize the wildlings over time with witch peace and understanding had already been achieved. 

Edited by Westerosi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

But again I may be wrong but when you say defeated they were forced back into hiding though ? this time round they were actually killed which is harder to come back from or did I miss the NK dying a first time previously ?

I haven't reread the books for quite a while, so I don't remember how it went exactly, and I don't recall show acknowledging previous conflicts with WWs. In the show just like in the books they were gone for 8000 years, and nobody in Planetos remembers how exactly they were defeated or pushed back into hiding. All that remains from that time are legends about Azor Ahai and lightbringer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wolfking007 said:

I haven't reread the books for quite a while, so I don't remember how it went exactly, and I don't recall show acknowledging previous conflicts with WWs. In the show just like in the books they were gone for 8000 years, and nobody in Planetos remembers how exactly they were defeated or pushed back into hiding. All that remains from that time are legends about Azor Ahai and lightbringer.

But was it ever mentioned that when they were defeated the NK was actually killed ? because I always assumed the children created him and now that they are gone... it wouldn't be possible to create or bring him back without them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, The Unborn said:

The show hasn't alluded to it and I thought it would, and it's clear the books will be different, but it seems pretty stupid the COTF would only create one WW and let him try to destroy the First Men on his own. If they created the NK to fight the First Men, they must have created a lot more. 

 

I thought okay maybe the NK was a rogue one trying to fulfill his purpose, and others are still roaming in the land of always winter, or hibernating or whatever and Bran will tell Jon we need to be ready for when they're back...

There is not a Night King in the books. Just The Others.  So I expect things to play out differently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

But was it ever mentioned that when they were defeated the NK was actually killed ? because I always assumed the children created him and now that they are gone... it wouldn't be possible to create or bring him back without them.

Children are suppose to be extinct, at least in the show, and with them their magic too, so thats probably the end for the WW's.

I really don't remember were they defeated, forced back or some kind of deal was made. I'm just guessing they didn't disappear for 8000 years out of goodness of their hearts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×