Praise without Repercussion, Final Edition

Brianne's ending I think made sense and was executed well enough.

Peter did a decent job of acting.

Emelia these past few episodes actually seemed to be a competent actress, which was nice to see.

That we spent 8 seasons and we are left in the same place we started.  New names, same story.  In the books Mormont notes that the small folk, by and large, do not care of the games the high houses play.  Daenerys burning of King Landing made Jaime Lanister a hero for putting down the mad king before he did much the same.  So yes Kings Landing is gone.  Perhaps it is rebuilt going forward but to some degree it parts will stand as Harenhal in a reminder of the costs of war.  

In the end whose life is improved?  No ones.  And basically the people are left with shuffled cards to lead them.   No one actually "won".  To me this was intended as a tragedy and played out well as such.   

I liked a lot of the episode and the season.  I read a review that used a phrase I liked (paraphrasing):  The episode was much like the rest of Season 8, full of poignant moments mixed with headscratching decisions.  As for what I liked as the OP asks for, I thought the Jon/Dany stuff played very well.  I adored the shot of Drogon flying up with his wings behind Dany and loved Clarke's acting in that final scene with Jon, showing both delusional hope for reconciling and extreme vulnerability at the same time.

I also thought some of the comedy played really well: Shout-out to a perfect use of Edmure and the small council scene with Tyrion trying to tell his joke about the brothel.

Finally, loved Brienne filling in Jaime's entry in the Kingsguard book and Sansa's ending as the QITN.

The visuals were amazing, as always.  Daenerys walking with Drogon flapping his wings in the background, making her look like a dragon, very cool.  Drogon shaking himself off and changing from what looked like a pile of rubble, into a dragon.  Drogon melting the IT.  

Strangely, although Daenerys' descent into cruelty/madness/whatever you want to call it, really happened this season, I haven't really cared for her character for a few seasons now.  And this episode brought me back to the season 2 finale, when she was in the House of the Undying.  I had felt so sorry for her, being without her husband and her son.  This episode made me pity her journey and feel something for her again.  It was nice to end off her arc with me caring for her again (not saying she shouldn't have died, but caring that she did and her long journey to get where she did), instead of feeling nothing. 

Sansa's dress was beautiful...nice to see her out of leather, lol. 

The blade of grass, north of the wall.

Ghost getting his pets and Jon reclaiming his northern identity..where he belongs. 

Brienne finishing Jaime's page.  Sure, she was fudging things a bit, but he didn't deserve to only be remembered as the kingslayer. 

Almost the whole season has been visually gorgeous.  Set pieces, effects, continued here. Especially Danys first scene. 

Jon seeing Ghost for the good and handsome boy that he is.

Queen in the North. 

Valonqar not shoehorned in.

Lord Edmure, Taker of Mills. 

Glad the white book wasnt destroyed and Brienne assumes authorship. 

- I enjoyed Daenerys speech. ( very First Order)

- Peter Dinklage went out with a bang. He was fantastic.

- I genuinely gasped when Jon killed Daenerys. I wasn't expecting it to happen that early on in the episode

- Jon went North where he belongs 

Good boy Ghost getting some love.

I liked Dany's death scene, including the Drogon part.

I liked the throwback to Jaime with Brienne writing in the White Book.

Tyrion throwing the hand-of-the-king pin.

Vampire Dany shot was beautiful.

I wish there was more to like, I really wanted to like it, but this was it.

Archived