Jon & Drogon

Rory Snow

I think Drogon has more sense than any other character - he realizes that Dany's obsession with the Iron Throne is her ultimate downfall.

My question is why didn't John mount Drogon and fly off into the sunrise?

3 minutes ago, Wild Bill said:

My question is why didn't John mount Drogon and fly off into the sunrise?

I thought that was going to be the next move as well!

Drogon torching the Iron Throne showed a fair bit of understanding.. he was breaking the wheel in his own way

Just stupid TV imagery. There is no reason to any of this. Don't look for it, and don't project sense onto it because there is none.

In George's book a dragon allows familiar people - especially other Targaryens - close to themselves and their riders, but presumably a dragon would immediately react to an attack on its rider and would even avenge him or her if it could. We have attestations for dragons mourning for their riders (Dreamfyre mourned for Queen Helaena) and we also have reason to believe dragons feel the need and hurt of their riders (Sunfyre possibly coming to Dragonstone to help Aegon II).

We also see how Drogon reacts when Dany is threatened back in ASoS. Not to mention his intervention when he saved her from the Undying in the books.

He broke the wheel.  Both by melting the iron throne and by not giving into a desire for revenge. 

Revenge would not bring Dany back (flying her off to Volantis so Kinvara could give her the kiss of life would bring her back).

All revenge does is lead to a never ending cycle of violence and Drogon the Wise realized it and so he sought another way.

I really felt for Drogon due to his mourning, it showed he was a lot more intuitive to people thought maybe. He probably knew Jon was torn and thought this throne has caused all this trouble, this isn't worth it. I assume he took Dany then to give her a proper death of a Targ.

I suppose that it was a combination of targaeryen blood, a kind of a bond between Jon and Drogon and the fact that Dany loved Jon. Dunno, it was wierd.

I wouldn't mind if Drogon really killed Jon and then grabbed Dany's body and flew away.

1 minute ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

Because Drogon became political, and realised it was the throne that killed Daenerys, not Jon. . . . That is how I imagine D&D explaining it to us, whilst smiling smugly like they are the best writers in the world. 

this is pretty accurate I believe

Archived