Jon & Drogon

Rory Snow

I didn't mind Drogon being Lightbringer and torching the Throne, it could have made sense if the season had been built up correctly but the writing has been woeful so we got a scene that was a bit out of place among the mess but I can dig the scene still.

I think the Dragon riders could warg with the dragons and the tv series didn't explain that. How else would they know where the rider wants them to go?  Also I think Drogon knew Jon was going to kill Dany when he let him pass. Dragons were said to be as intelligent as humans or more so. Drogon accepted Danys fate.

7 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Just stupid TV imagery. There is no reason to any of this. Don't look for it, and don't project sense onto it because there is none.

qft

The show only value now is as a source of graphical material.

We should better spend some effort to disentangle Patchface prophesies rather than trying to find any logic behind the show "plot" decisions

Some people say dragons are more intelligent than men. Drogon may have got all of the above - the throne, Jon being torn and mourning Dany, as well as having killed her.

He was also enraged but unlike his mother, he could steer his rage into a right target.

I am just happy that Drogon flew away, heart broken or not. He will heal. This and Ghost were by far - and far far far - best that the episode had to offer, for me.

1 hour ago, rotting sea cow said:

qft

The show only value now is as a source of graphical material.

We should better spend some effort to disentangle Patchface prophesies rather than trying to find any logic behind the show "plot" decisions

Not just his prophecies, but the overall point of his existence in the books and his changed nature. With Hodor being a rather important character now, we cannot really ignore Patchface as just some weird freak. And Melisandre fearing him - him, not just his weirdo ramblings - is, in my opinion, one of the most crucial hints that this idea that Mel is going to burn Shireen before Stannis returns from Winterfell - or they join him there - is utter crap. If Mel went as far as to kill Stannis' daughter/heir/successor then she would also rid herself of the mad jester she fears in the same burning enterprise. And then all the Patches foreshadowing/hints would be for nothing.

2 hours ago, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

Also I think Drogon knew Jon was going to kill Dany when he let him pass. Dragons were said to be as intelligent as humans or more so. Drogon accepted Danys fate.

That’s a brilliant observation. Hadn’t occurred to me. But, I think you are right. He looked Jon in the eye and then let him do what needed to be done. 

9 hours ago, Rory Snow said:

So why didn't Drogon kill Jon Snow? Is it just because of Jon's Targ blood? Did he understand Dany had lost it?

probably because Jon Snow plot armor and apparently because Drogon has brain and feelings, understand politics and he give a shit about his mother. I think Hotpie give`s a shit too.

Something you can`t say about Martin characters who supposedly should react as in real life.

8 hours ago, Rory Snow said:

Drogon torching the Iron Throne showed a fair bit of understanding.. he was breaking the wheel in his own way

Yes, that he did. 

He understood that this damn Iron throne was all the bad driving force. 

The Iron Throne was made by dragon fire and destroyed by dragon fire. This is very GRRM circular and fits perfectly.

37 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Not just his prophecies, but the overall point of his existence in the books and his changed nature. With Hodor being a rather important character now, we cannot really ignore Patchface as just some weird freak. And Melisandre fearing him - him, not just his weirdo ramblings - is, in my opinion, one of the most crucial hints that this idea that Mel is going to burn Shireen before Stannis returns from Winterfell - or they join him there - is utter crap. If Mel went as far as to kill Stannis' daughter/heir/successor then she would also rid herself of the mad jester she fears in the same burning enterprise. And then all the Patches foreshadowing/hints would be for nothing.

Of course I understand that. I'm not necessarily being ironic. Patchface prophesies as nutty and cryptic as they seem, have a meaning and impact in the book plot. Trying to understand them is important but in the end hard to do because of the mingled language.

That cannot be said about the show. There are literally hundred of scenes, statements, plot lines that evaporated into the vacuum and had no impact in the end. Premium example, the White Walkers. There is no logic and trying to make some logic is a futile effort.

4 minutes ago, rotting sea cow said:

Of course I understand that. I'm not necessarily being ironic. Patchface prophesies as nutty and cryptic as they seem, have a meaning and impact in the book plot. Trying to understand them is important but in the end hard to do because of the mingled language.

That cannot be said about the show. There are literally hundred of scenes, statements, plot lines that evaporated into the vacuum and had no impact in the end. Premium example, the White Walkers. There is no logic and trying to make some logic is a futile effort.

I really hope the books depict these stuff much better. As I said in the other thread about what the show did to the books - they really drove a knife into my gut on a thematic level. If the core were stupid politics - even stupid politics written well by George - then the book series would, in the end, have little merit in its own right. Because fake pseudo-medieval political plotting in a fantasy world really doesn't have a lot of literary merit in its own right.

42 minutes ago, Greenmonsterff said:

That’s a brilliant observation. Hadn’t occurred to me. But, I think you are right. He looked Jon in the eye and then let him do what needed to be done. 

I am going to argue with myself now and say that it is possible Jon had not decided to kill Dany yet, so Drogon saw no threat to her and let him pass. Drogon's instant appearance and apparent emotions make me think he spared Jon because of some quality between the dragon rider and the dragon or the Targaryens in general. But stories of dragons eating Targaryens exist so, hmm. I opt for the former. Its clear Drogon was very upset at Dany's death.

16 minutes ago, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

I am going to argue with myself now and say that it is possible Jon had not decided to kill Dany yet, so Drogon saw no threat to her and let him pass. Drogon's instant appearance and apparent emotions make me think he spared Jon because of some quality between the dragon rider and the dragon or the Targaryens in general. But stories of dragons eating Targaryens exist so, hmm. I opt for the former. Its clear Drogon was very upset at Dany's death.

Lol. Make up your damn mind. Now, you’ve got me questioning it, too. I liked your first point. And now I like the second point, too. But, Drogon could have known what needed to be done and then still been upset when it actually went down. Reality set in. 

Drogon burned the Iron Throne because the D&D are incapable of anything more than shoehorned, ham-fisted symbolism and cool visuals.  Drogon finds his mother dead with the killer standing over her corpse and is like "that damn chair that I'm seeing for the first time killed my mom."  That scene was low grade fanfic quality writing and made me actually laugh out loud.

4 hours ago, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

Now THAT would have made sense.

Because people knew Jon was a Targaryean. If he stayed around there would people who still believed he had the best claim. By sending him to the "Nights Watch" Bran effectively banished him to be a wildling knowing full well what awaited him up north. 

Drogon had no real allegiance to Jon. yes he recognized the Targaryean blood in him, but Dany was his mother and the real hero by destroying the MacGuffin (iron Throne) and breaking the wheel. 

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

I really hope the books depict these stuff much better. As I said in the other thread about what the show did to the books - they really drove a knife into my gut on a thematic level. If the core were stupid politics - even stupid politics written well by George - then the book series would, in the end, have little merit in its own right. Because fake pseudo-medieval political plotting in a fantasy world really doesn't have a lot of literary merit in its own right.

I think we cannot rule out politics impeding an effective fight against the Others till the very end. It is even possible that some factions try to gain advantages of the chaos. Or even a "Scourging of the Shire" after the fight is done. Also, as I (and others certainly) have speculated, the World after the War-of-the-Dawn doesn't need to be a better one, just one that happens to be still alive and not frozen to death.

The important part is how you tell that in a way that it's integral to the story and not a set of patched scenes, idiotic dialogs and thrown away catchphrases.

2 hours ago, Greenmonsterff said:

I think also Drogon has suffered as much loss if not more than most, as much as he loved his Mother, he probably couldn't understand the lengths she was going to have a seat on a shitty iron throne.... He went along as any loving child would but at the same time was glad for the suffering to be over. She cost him two siblings over the head of something that while he knows whats going on... couldn't understand as its ou twith his basic survival needs... food,water,sleep.

He most likely seen himself/her or both dying at some point for her silly quest.

1 hour ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

Is there a precedent in History where a Targ was outright burnt alive by a dragon ?

Yeah, but only if their rider was alive still and wanted it. And Targ bastards could get killed by dragonfire if they attempted to ride a wild dragon. But a bonded dragon whose rider died, does not automatically attack the slayer of its rider.

Archived