Bran Truly Was The Best Possible Choice To Rule

43 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

He knows the entire history of Westeros. He knows every mistake that was made and the repercussions of them. That makes him uniquely qualified not to repeat them. Plus, he doesn't want power, and his lack of emotion means he will not make emotional decisions. The problem with all our world's governments is they are run by humans and humans are subject to corruption. Someone who doesn't "want" anymore has no basis for corruption. He may not be appealing, but that doesn't mean he won't make a good king.

Exactly!

51 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

The small folk will be happy if there is peace and their bellies are full. Since when does charisma make a good ruler? Hitler was very charismatic. And he doesn't need to be charismatic to be a good leader. Ultimately, he needs to make good decisions that will make life for the Westerosi people the best it can be.

Charlie Manson was also extremely charismatic.

4 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Bran can't see the future. Bran can only see the past.

He saw Drogon flying over KL beofre it happened. He also implied he knew Tyrion was gonna call for him to be king. Unless that was a joke, and he doesn't seem like the joking type.

4 minutes ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

He saw Drogon flying over KL beofre it happened. He also implied he knew Tyrion was gonna call for him to be king. Unless that was a joke, and he doesn't seem like the joking type.

But the show never explained that Bran can see the future.

The show did explain that Bran cannot only see the past but that he is stuck in the past which explains his robotic emotionlessness.

So which is it?

39 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

But the show never explained that Bran can see the future.

The show did explain that Bran cannot only see the past but that he is stuck in the past which explains his robotic emotionlessness.

So which is it?

They clearly said he has visions of the past present and future

I recall that being said at one point as well, although I don't remember when it was. However, I get the impression his visions of the future are limited and not necessarily of his choosing, whereas he can see everything past and present.

Which Bran are you talking about? Because, as much of the other protagonists of the show, he has been inconsistenly portrayed across all the show. He is not much of a character, but a tapestry of unrelated one-liners.

Bran is a great choice and a terrible choice at the same time. Yes, he apparently knows all the past, he knows what past rulers did and what were the consequences of their actions. He knows the mistakes they did so he might not repeat them.

At the same time, there is a major problem with Bran being the king - he is not an experienced leader or ruler. While he was de facto the ruler Winterfell for a short time in S2, in fact it was rather Maester Luwin and ser Rodrick who made the decisions. Then he went beyond the Wall, he was basically isolated from other people excluding some 3 persons. He didn't even try to become the leader of Winterfell when he came back. He was just a wierd voyeur. Now he is the king and he once again has experienced men (mainly Davos and Tyrion) to help him but it is kinda unsure if he will or will not be a good king.

It seems to me that the main reason why he became the king is that he is crippled and he can't father children. This basically sets in the stone that the next king will be elected as well (unless a Sansa's child tries to seize the power). I've always had the feeling the ruler at the end of the story will be elected in a kinda democratic way and that basically happened (although the voters was only the lords) and Bran secures the repetition of the process.

Overall, Jon would be the best (and the most predictable) possible leader.

Bran himself had some sound reasons why he shouldn't be Warden of the North. Something about being lost in the past...?

Now if that was a lie, it was a lie he told because he knew there was a greater reward in store as King of Westeros.

That is a bit chilling... and I like it. Manipulative Bran who nevertheless loves his family and secures the Stark's rule.

But I don't think Gandalf would be the best ruler of the lands of men, simply because being a ruler would inhibit his ability to be a good wizard. ("A wizard should know better!" as Treebeard said.) And I feel it is the same with Bran. He has greater things to do with his life than being stuck in King's Landing and meddling with other people's lives. It's sort of an ending where they take a character they don't really know what to do with, and places him on the throne in order to get some form of closure for him and the series.

So I like it and dislike it at the same time.

5 hours ago, GeorgeIAF said:

Jon was the best choice. 

Not really. The first season already proved the Ned Stark approach isn't suited for running the realm yet Jon never seemed like he learned from that. Things like Jon being a good person like Ned or being able to bring people together like Robert were already proven not to automatically make a good king. Nor did Jon ever show great political or administrative skill. 

6 hours ago, darmody said:

What could possibly go wrong trusting an omniscient being of suspect humanity and entirely unknown motives who can take over people's minds at will?

100% - bran knew everything he did put a chain of events in motion that resulted in dany nuking KL...

I mean he knew dany would kill 1M small folk...and this for the a new democracy, etc...yes you can argue the wheel had to be broken yada yada...but it just don't feel right to me

Bran should nor rule. With his powers as the three eyed raven combined with his power of the 6 Kingdoms + the North. He will become corrupt. He demonstrated that he can create the future and now with an army on his side, he will create the perfect world for himself. Just like power corrupted the Night's King. Just like power began to turn Dany into a different person.

Archived