Bran Truly Was The Best Possible Choice To Rule

10 hours ago, Raksha 2014 said:

I think that Bronn will become smug and think that he would make a better king than a crippled weird boy...Hopefully Bran will see Bronn's attempted coup coming and have him thrown out the Moon Door in the Eyrie. 

I think Bran very likely (almost definitely, in fact) would see any trouble from Bronn long before it arrived.

Indeed, it's likely Bran knows everything we know about Bronn, and a whole lot more (and thus Bran knows perfectly well how far Bronn can or cannot be trusted in any given matter). 

In fact, I assume that Bran has already extensively reviewed the lives of pretty much everyone around him, and that would definitely include all members of the Small Council (which Bronn now is).

1 hour ago, A Time for Starks said:

Bran should have been Master of Whisperers.  That would have been the perfect role for him as he knows all.  But to be king?  To me Bran is not a king.  He doesn't inspire love.  He doesn't inspire fear.  He doesn't inspire... well anything really.  He's not a leader.

Agreed 100 %. 

The characters who voted him in know almost nothing about him. He hasn’t had a solid, clearly useful conversation onscreen in years. 

We don’t even see them getting the basic explanation of what a three eyed raven is. Would Yara know what that means, edmure? Robin Arryn? 

It was just shoehorned into the ending badly. 

Davos would have been the best choice, just looking at known accomplishments, personality and background. 

Bran Truly Was The Best Possible Choice To Rule

Nope. Bran admitted that he's something else, I mean he's not even human, because if he was a human he would have said I'm someone else. When Jon  told him that he's a men he said: "Almost". 

11 hours ago, Bran the Shipper said:

If he truly didn't want to become king he would not have journeyed south with Sansa, but he did knowing full well what awaited him.  Why tell Jon about his parentage if all that comes of it is that it drives a rift between Jon and Dany and eventually results in Jon killing her.  Knowing that this would tear Jon apart inside. 

Well stated. The previous 3ER stayed put, rooted in fact, quietly observing everything and intervening only when the Night King became too strong. Yet Bran plays everyone to become king, and as a result of his machinations thousands die. If he had just kept quiet Jon would have stayed in love with Dany, serving as a moderating influence on her rule.  And what is the upshot of all this? A distracted, amoral, crippled King with no House army to support him, and whose first official act is to allow 1/7 of his realm to secede, setting a dangerous precedent for all the others to follow. His Hand? Weak and ineffectual, openly disrespected by a corrupt Master of Coin. It would have been far better to replace the monarchy with a loose confederation, after all the throne itself is no more. If Drogon was making some political statement, that was surely it. By the way, where is he? Bran thinks that's rather important, more so than a Small Council meeting, anyway.

13 hours ago, Cron said:

For many years, near-endless debates have been had about (1) who would be the best ruler (in theory, out of all possible candidates), and (2) who would be the actual ruler (or "winner") in the end.

Turns out both questions have the same answer, I think:  Bran Stark.

Incredibly wise and knowledgeable, consummate good (I can't recall ever seeing or reading even the faintest hint of darkness or badness in him; he was always clearly one of the most "pure good" characters in the story), and since he doesn't "want" anymore, he is, presumably, incapable of being corrupted.

Also, he's very young (which means there's a great chance he can rule for a long time and they won't have to worry about replacing him for an equally long time; indeed, as I recall, the 3 Eyed Ravens live incredibly long lives, right?  As I recall, Bran's predecessor was well over 100 years old), and the people who named Bran king seem to think it's good that he can't have children. 

Add all of that up, and no other candidate is even remotely close to being as well qualified as Bran.

And as an added bonus, they are set up perfectly for a sequel one day, with a very young actor/character as one of the centerpieces (along with Arya, Gendry, and Ser Podrick).

Bottom line:  If I lived in Westeros, there is no character we have seen that I would rather have as king or queen than Bran, and I'm glad that was the judgment of the characters who actually made the decision, too. 

Bran being the all-knowing ruler in the end translates to being ruled by artifical intelligence in real life.

I find this message disturbing.

13 hours ago, Cron said:

Bottom line:  If I lived in Westeros, there is no character we have seen that I would rather have as king or queen than Bran, and I'm glad that was the judgment of the characters who actually made the decision, too. 

That's the problem, In the show we only know about 5 people. Given this situation, sure, why not Bran?

If this is book canon, there needs to be a looooot of explanation and development to get me to this headspace. Right now I just picture an 8? year old boy with a cute crush on Meera and who's still violating Hodor regularly because he can.

8 minutes ago, alienarea said:

Bran being the all-knowing ruler in the end translates to being ruled by artifical intelligence in real life.

I find this message disturbing.

Agreed. His only qualification to take power in Westeros was an obscure, poorly-understood magical absolute that he won’t explain or define to anyone, and he’s being championed by Tyrion “bad decisions are my speciality” Lannister?

how is brans magical ability any better than targaryens ruling because they’re the only ones who have dragons?

id rather they have elected the shit in tormunds pants to rule. 

I don't see how Bran can be both King and the 3ER. Wasn't he supposed to become one with the underground roots of the giant, ancient Weirwood tree north of the wall, just like the 3ER before him?  Isn't being the 3ER a full-time job?  The way things went down in this final episode, I'm left with the creeping feeling that Bran has orchestrated everything that happened in seasons 7 and 8.

11 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

He saw Drogon flying over KL beofre it happened. He also implied he knew Tyrion was gonna call for him to be king. Unless that was a joke, and he doesn't seem like the joking type.

Nobody can see the future perfectly in the GOT universe. Everyone sees it imperfectly, including Bran.

Bran doesn't need to see much to realize that he will become King. He also knows that what he has seen will be and cannot be unseen. The 3ER who teaches him knows that Bran will cause his death when they meet because he has seen it. There is nothing he can do to stop it.

That is why Bran can't stop Danny torching KL: He has seen it already so it must happen.

It makes 0 sense for him to be king in the end. There was nothing in his storyline or arc that had anything to with him ruling. There are no arguments. Even Daenerys going mad was more plausible.

At least with the other shitty writing, I can kind of justify it by assuming that it will happen in the books, it just got rushed and badly executed by D&D and it will be more coherent in them when it happens there. But not even GRRM himself could have Bran become king in the end and make it make sense. I seriously doubt it will happen in ASOIAF.

13 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

The small folk will be happy if there is peace and their bellies are full. Since when does charisma make a good ruler? Hitler was very charismatic. And he doesn't need to be charismatic to be a good leader. Ultimately, he needs to make good decisions that will make life for the Westerosi people the best it can be.

In a feudal monarchy the ability to inspire loyalty among your vassals is absolutely huge. Having that ability doesn't make you a good king but not having it is a huge stumbling block. Once upon a time this show actually had a character called Stannis Baratheon whose whole problem was that despite being eminently qualified to be King (and actually being the legitimate heir) he struggled to command loyalty or affection outside of a small circle of foreigners and outsiders. Compared to what Bran has become Stannis looks like a rock star. Even in this season Jon's ability to win over Westerosi has been an important point as to why he would be a better ruler than unloved Daenerys (who is only unloved because the plot demands it but whatever). 

But all of a sudden all of this basic shit about how a feudal monarchy works gets thrown out the window so we can get King Bran? It made no sense and is an absolute insult to everything this show used to be about and the books it was based on. 

4 hours ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

Bronn placed as the Master of Coin makes sense to me, he came from nothing and appreciates the value of money where others before him squandered it on overly extravagant things or being forced by the King to spend when they suggested it wasn't a good idea.

With Bran looking to be more of a symbol than actually having anything to do with the running of Westeros... there wont be that pressure from above to spend lavishly.

The Brothel thing was obviously Bronn being Bronn.. said jokingly as they were all having light hearted banter ( hate that word btw).

Except Bronn hasn't shown any skill with money management. It's just projection based on assumptions made due to his background. In fact, he has repeated shown himself to be greedy, hence susceptible to corruption.

5 hours ago, Erkan12 said:

Bronn is a cutthroat, who fights without honor, he is better at fighting dirty, master of war someone should be respected, loyal and someone would fight until the last man, Bronn isn't that man.

I think they choose Bronn as master of coin , because now he is controlling the richest region (since there are no active gold mines left in Westerlands) in Westeros as the Lord of the Highgarden, it's the best choice, both putting your own man out there and borrowing money from him easily if it's necessary.

Given bronn's lack of principles, I would question giving him highgarden and making him master of coin.

1 minute ago, Apoplexy said:

Given bronn's lack of principles, I would question giving him highgarden and making him master of coin.

Tyrion can handle him, it was Tyrion's decision.

3 minutes ago, Erkan12 said:

Tyrion can handle him, it was Tyrion's decision.

I'm not so sure of that. I think tyrion is made to look smarter than he is. Season 8 was proof of that. Plus, people like bronn eventually figure out a way to bite the hand that feeds them (pun intended)

Just now, Apoplexy said:

I'm not so sure of that. I think tyrion is made to look smarter than he is. Season 8 was proof of that. Plus, people like bronn eventually figure out a way to bite the hand that feeds them (pun intended)

He didn't do that when Cersei ordered him to kill Tyrion.

Archived