Dany CAN (And Shall???) Rise Again!!!

On 5/25/2019 at 3:57 PM, Kaapstad said:

The HBO boss has said there will be no sequels. And with GRRM taking 9 years more to finish ADOS, there is no chance of a sequel.

I confidently predict there will be a sequel (not just prequel(s), but a sequel).

When something as successful (culturally AND financially) as Game of Thrones happens, there will be a sequel, even if it takes 32 years (which was the time between Star Wars 6, Return of the Jedi, 1983, and Star Wars 7, The Force Awakens, 2015), or even longer.

On 5/31/2019 at 7:34 AM, Cron said:

I think you're right.

What would you rather see from this point forward, a sequel with the surviving characters and UnDany, or the prequel I've heard they actually have in development?

I don't think there will be a sequel taking place in the near future of the end of Game of Thrones. After the garbage D and D called session 8, the World of Westeros is in an implausible, ridiculous state and I really don't want more sessions with more of that.

In addition to that they would have to cast a lot of the original actors of the remaining characters. That would cost a lot of money and you need a silver tongue to get everybody on board. Alternatively you have to recast actors, who definitely don't want to continue. And you have to hope that the viewer will be okay with that (especially if there are main characters, who have to be recast).

And you need a lot more plot for a good story. Only vengenceful Dany isn't enough for more than one or two sessions. So you have to create a good story on the mess D and D left behind after session 8. And I don't know if that is possible and if I could motivate myself to watch the results of that process.

And vengeful undead Dany isn't a good story to begin with (at least in my opinion). So why should anybody want to tell this story and burden himself with the mess D and D left behind when you can tell a good story in the not so near future of Game of Thrones (with more freedom in what to do or not to do, with new characters and so on)?

5 hours ago, Haskelltier said:

I don't think there will be a sequel taking place in the near future of the end of Game of Thrones. After the garbage D and D called session 8, the World of Westeros is in an implausible, ridiculous state and I really don't want more sessions with more of that.

In addition to that they would have to cast a lot of the original actors of the remaining characters. That would cost a lot of money and you need a silver tongue to get everybody on board. Alternatively you have to recast actors, who definitely don't want to continue. And you have to hope that the viewer will be okay with that (especially if there are main characters, who have to be recast).

And you need a lot more plot for a good story. Only vengenceful Dany isn't enough for more than one or two sessions. So you have to create a good story on the mess D and D left behind after session 8. And I don't know if that is possible and if I could motivate myself to watch the results of that process.

And vengeful undead Dany isn't a good story to begin with (at least in my opinion). So why should anybody want to tell this story and burden himself with the mess D and D left behind when you can tell a good story in the not so near future of Game of Thrones (with more freedom in what to do or not to do, with new characters and so on)?

When something is as culturally and financially successful as Game of Thrones (which is extremely rare), I think a sequel (eventually) is inevitable, even if it takes decades to happen.

But I don't think we'll have to wait decades for the Game of Thrones sequel.  I think we'll see it within 10 years, and maybe a lot sooner if the first prequel does poorly (if that happens, I think HBO will go "back to the well" of what was so popular in the first place VERY quickly, probably within 5 years).

Yes, I agree that a sequel should involve more than just a vengeance arc for Dany (if in fact there even is a vengeance arc for Dany, which could be derailed for a variety of reasons).  That's what writers are for, though, and I believe quite a few writers are bouncing ideas around already, perhaps only in their heads, but maybe even in the form of early drafts of a script.  There's a lot of energy and enthusiasm for GoT (largely because the characters themselves are so excellent), and I'm sure there are many writers who would like to have a chance at it.  The sequel does not have to involve D&D at all.

Regarding the cast for a sequel:  Yeah, they might need to get creative if two or three of the truly major actors won't participate.  For examples, Tyrion, Arya, Bran, Sansa, Jon and Dany would be the biggest names, I think,, but really, who else?  There are dozens of characters who got crossed off since the show began, so there's no need to pay those actors, and quite a few were making big money (including the VERY expensive Jaime and Cersei, as I understand it).

And even if some of those five I just mentioned (Bran, Arya, Sansa, Jon and Dany) aren't interested, they can easily work around it.   Two of them (Jon and Arya) left for parts unknown, possibly never to return, who knows?  Probably the most important two would be Bran and Tyrion, I think.

Regarding the quality of the story:  What if we learn that GRRM himself is one of the showrunner for the sequel, and thus it will all be "GRRM canon"?  Are you saying you wouldn't watch that, or at least give it a try?

Bottom line: There's LOTS of money to be made with Game of Thrones, and I'm confident that a lot of very creative people are thinking about ways to tap into that right now, and as a result I'm confident we've not seen the last of quite a few of the surviving characters, if not all of them.

11 hours ago, Cron said:

When something is as culturally and financially successful as Game of Thrones (which is extremely rare), I think a sequel (eventually) is inevitable, even if it takes decades to happen.

But I don't think we'll have to wait decades for the Game of Thrones sequel.  I think we'll see it within 10 years, and maybe a lot sooner if the first prequel does poorly (if that happens, I think HBO will go "back to the well" of what was so popular in the first place VERY quickly, probably within 5 years).

HBO wants to do a prequel first. If they invest a lot of money into it and the prequel doesn't pay of, because of how they ended Game of Thrones, a new try (with maybe a sequel) might take some time. And even if we get a sequel after the prequel, there exists no guarantee, that it is a direct continuation of the story of Game of Thrones. Especially with the garbage ending of Game of Thrones. I think nobody wants to fix the mess D and D left.

11 hours ago, Cron said:

Yes, I agree that a sequel should involve more than just a vengeance arc for Dany (if in fact there even is a vengeance arc for Dany, which could be derailed for a variety of reasons).  That's what writers are for, though, and I believe quite a few writers are bouncing ideas around already, perhaps only in their heads, but maybe even in the form of early drafts of a script.  There's a lot of energy and enthusiasm for GoT (largely because the characters themselves are so excellent), and I'm sure there are many writers who would like to have a chance at it.  The sequel does not have to involve D&D at all.

My problem with vengeful, undead Dany is: Such a character would be rather boring. Yes, undead Dany wants to slaughter Jon (who broke her heart and killed her) and the people of Westeros, hurray, what an interesting character and what an interesting plot with lots of potential for character development (I hope the irony is clear).

11 hours ago, Cron said:

Regarding the cast for a sequel:  Yeah, they might need to get creative if two or three of the truly major actors won't participate.  For examples, Tyrion, Arya, Bran, Sansa, Jon and Dany would be the biggest names, I think,, but really, who else?

One more problem the new showrunners would have to deal with.

11 hours ago, Cron said:

And even if some of those five I just mentioned (Bran, Arya, Sansa, Jon and Dany) aren't interested, they can easily work around it.   Two of them (Jon and Arya) left for parts unknown, possibly never to return, who knows?  Probably the most important two would be Bran and Tyrion, I think.

Vengeful Dany without the one person she was in love with and who killed her, would be a big loss plotwise and for character development.

11 hours ago, Cron said:

Regarding the quality of the story:  What if we learn that GRRM himself is one of the showrunner for the sequel, and thus it will all be "GRRM canon"?  Are you saying you wouldn't watch that, or at least give it a try?

Well, first we will get a prequel. That will take at least 5 years until that is done (even if it flops and is cancelled after 2 or 3 seasons). And even if HBO ist quick with the decision to do a sequel, GRRM would take some time writing a good plot (look how long he takes to write his books) and getting everything rolling. Would I watch it? I would be interested how George would fix the mess D and D left behing. But without major changes, you won't get a good story with an interesting plot out of the end of season 8.

12 hours ago, Cron said:

Bottom line: There's LOTS of money to be made with Game of Thrones, and I'm confident that a lot of very creative people are thinking about ways to tap into that right now, and as a result I'm confident we've not seen the last of quite a few of the surviving characters, if not all of them.

I am certain you can make a lot of money with the world GRRM created. But I don't think that you need the surviving characters to do so. You can do historic stuffs, for example when the Andals came to Westeros or stories from the Age of Heroes. If you want battling dragons, you can do the Dance of the Dragons. And Essos is full of mysterious and interesting regions and cultures you can use for a good story.

On 7/22/2019 at 8:58 PM, Haskelltier said:

HBO wants to do a prequel first. If they invest a lot of money into it and the prequel doesn't pay of, because of how they ended Game of Thrones, a new try (with maybe a sequel) might take some time. And even if we get a sequel after the prequel, there exists no guarantee, that it is a direct continuation of the story of Game of Thrones. Especially with the garbage ending of Game of Thrones. I think nobody wants to fix the mess D and D left.

My problem with vengeful, undead Dany is: Such a character would be rather boring. Yes, undead Dany wants to slaughter Jon (who broke her heart and killed her) and the people of Westeros, hurray, what an interesting character and what an interesting plot with lots of potential for character development (I hope the irony is clear).

One more problem the new showrunners would have to deal with.

Vengeful Dany without the one person she was in love with and who killed her, would be a big loss plotwise and for character development.

Well, first we will get a prequel. That will take at least 5 years until that is done (even if it flops and is cancelled after 2 or 3 seasons). And even if HBO ist quick with the decision to do a sequel, GRRM would take some time writing a good plot (look how long he takes to write his books) and getting everything rolling. Would I watch it? I would be interested how George would fix the mess D and D left behing. But without major changes, you won't get a good story with an interesting plot out of the end of season 8.

I am certain you can make a lot of money with the world GRRM created. But I don't think that you need the surviving characters to do so. You can do historic stuffs, for example when the Andals came to Westeros or stories from the Age of Heroes. If you want battling dragons, you can do the Dance of the Dragons. And Essos is full of mysterious and interesting regions and cultures you can use for a good story.

Much as I'd love to see Wight Daenerys getting medieval on her enemies' asses, I agree that a sequel would need much more than that.

On 7/24/2019 at 6:26 AM, SeanF said:

Much as I'd love to see Wight Daenerys getting medieval on her enemies' asses, I agree that a sequel would need much more than that.

I agree, and I'm sure it would involve more, but it's also possible they could take Dany in a completely different direction, too.

For example, what if she actually...LEARNED from her mistakes???  What if, after being resurrected, she looks back on her whole story, and decides that Jon actually did the right thing??

It's possible. Game of Thrones has taken many unexpected turns, with more than a few involving extreme redemption arcs.

On 7/24/2019 at 12:28 PM, Rose of Red Lake said:

With the way Dany was boasting about her dragons eating whatever they want, they really should have eaten her. Go hard or go home, GRRM. 

That's a good one.

Was that what you were hoping for, or just kidding around?

4 hours ago, Cron said:

That's a good one.

Was that what you were hoping for, or just kidding around?

Thematically it would have been fun. There could be the theme of children rising up against their parents, a la Tyrion, and all the times Drogon snapped at her could have been foreshadowing. It would also be the next evolution in the Targ histories with Rhaenyra which was mentioned on the show. Also GRRM said he liked how the movie Dragonslayer had a twist where the main heroine was eaten by baby dragons.

3 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Thematically it would have been fun. There could be the theme of children rising up against their parents, a la Tyrion, and all the times Drogon snapped at her could have been foreshadowing. It would also be the next evolution in the Targ histories with Rhaenyra which was mentioned on the show. Also GRRM said he liked how the movie Dragonslayer had a twist where the main heroine was eaten by baby dragons.

Wow, is that what happened in Dragonslayer??? I totally forgot about that! (Haven't seen that movie in a very long time, to say the least.)

So, is that how you would have written it, with Drogon eating Dany?  If so, what would have been his motivation?

24 minutes ago, Cron said:

Wow, is that what happened in Dragonslayer??? I totally forgot about that! (Haven't seen that movie in a very long time, to say the least.)

So, is that how you would have written it, with Drogon eating Dany?  If so, what would have been his motivation?

Ha, yeah that virgin sacrifice was a shocker I guess. You expected her to escape but she gets roasted! Starving dragons in winter would be a realistic motive or the loss of bloodmagic to control them. To me, anything would be better than Drogon carefully picking up mommy after burning a chair he'd never seen before. 

3 minutes ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Ha, yeah that virgin sacrifice was a shocker I guess. You expected her to escape but she gets roasted! Starving dragons in winter would be a realistic motive or the loss of bloodmagic to control them. To me, anything would be better than Drogon carefully picking up mommy after burning a chair he'd never seen before. 

I never heard of that film, but I can see how it made an impression on Martin - a heroine sacrificing herself for her people, a dragon called Vermithax, a character called Tyrian, and villains who are shades of grey.  The King falsely claiming to be a dragonslayer is like Prester Jon in Memory Sorrow and Thorn.

Robin Hobb's dragons eat their riders when they die, as a Mark of respect.

16 minutes ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Wow, that's hard core.

I like the way you think.

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2019 at 7:58 AM, Haskelltier said:

My problem with vengeful, undead Dany is: Such a character would be rather boring.

I don't know if that's a universally held opinion. Tarantino made a career out of characters being violently vengeful, after all.

On 7/29/2019 at 12:01 AM, Cron said:

For example, what if she actually...LEARNED from her mistakes???  What if, after being resurrected, she looks back on her whole story, and decides that Jon actually did the right thing?? 

Wouldn't one of her mistakes be helping out the North? She didn't get anything out of that. It actually cost her a dragon, as well as half her army. And riding straight up to KL, as she originally wanted, worked out pretty well for her. So the lesson to be learnt there might be: lay the North to waste (but don't hold a Nuremberg rally afterwards).

On 8/29/2019 at 1:30 AM, Hodor the Articulate said:

I don't know if that's a universally held opinion. Tarantino made a career out of characters being violently vengeful, after all.

Wouldn't one of her mistakes be helping out the North? She didn't get anything out of that. It actually cost her a dragon, as well as half her army. And riding straight up to KL, as she originally wanted, worked out pretty well for her. So the lesson to be learnt there might be: lay the North to waste (but don't hold a Nuremberg rally afterwards).

My point is that a sequel with Dany would not necessarily have to be about her seeking vengeance.  The story could turn in other ways, too, possibly involving Dany and the Starks teaming up to fight an even bigger threat yet again.

Could be.  Maybe.  We'll see.

• 1 month later...

Hey, my first post here. 

This has been a question that has vexed me for quite a while, so I wanted to give my thoughts. 

The hints are definitely there with Sam being cut off saying "Volan…" and the Matt Bellamy song. As well as Kinvara being in Volantis. 

Thing is, the show could have been far more explicit about this, last scene r'hllorist chanting, Daenerys on a table, her eyes open, credits roll.

For D&D though, it was rather subtle. One cut off sentence, a fansong they helped write, and one character people might have forgotten from Season Six. They usually beat the audience over the head when they want to get something across, and they did not here. 

So why leave it open? Instead of having her body destroyed or her head at least? 

There are a few possibilities as far as I am concerned. 

-fanservice D&D wanted to give the Dany fans something hopeful to chew on. 

-HBO directive I don't see a sequel happening for quite a long time, especially with as bad as the general reaction to Season 8 was, and I doubt Emilia Clarke would want to reprise the role(unless she really had not broken out and needed the money). 

-possibly Martin, possibly. Maybe Dany gets some sort of Arthurian Avalon ending, with her body being carried off, and Kinvara(or rather the book equivalent-perhaps Moqorro or Benerro?) serving as the lady of the lake, with her return being hinted at as possible, a sort of shadow hanging over the reign of King Bran. 

Beyond that I'm stumped. They didn't have to have Sam say "Volantis" or have that telling fansong, or leave the hints but the hints are definitely there and clearly can be picked out. 

Archived