Sign in to follow this  
Areisius

Use one word to describe the series finale.

My word: wasted. There were so many opportunities throughout the show that were foreshadowed and they ultimately came to nothing.

I didn’t read all 166 posts but I’m curious... is there a single positive one? :lol:

On 16. März 2020 at 6:46 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

This is going to sound weird but. . . Validating. People who were critical of GOT used to get a ton of flack, so it was a bit of a relief to finally not have to listen to that anymore.

I agree. IMO whenever they didn't use the dialogue directly out of the novels, it wasn't so great straight from the beginning. Whenever I saw Tyrion's first scene with all the sex workers, I just thought this ridiculous and just such a misrepresentation of his character. But yeah maybe that's just me, I don't care so much for adaptations in general. They are rarely done well or are true to the source material.

3 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

I agree. IMO whenever they didn't use the dialogue directly out of the novels, it wasn't so great straight from the beginning. Whenever I saw Tyrion's first scene with all the sex workers, I just thought this ridiculous and just such a misrepresentation of his character. 

It was ridiculous. As ridiculous as Littlefinger’s “play with her arse”, although I still think the latter was a bigger red flag.

3 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

But yeah maybe that's just me, I don't care so much for adaptations in general. They are rarely done well or are true to the source material.

I agree, mostly. I do think there are adaptations that, despite not being super faithful to the source material still manage to be entertaining in their own right, and more importantly, are respectful to its source. Certainly not the case w/ GoT, on both counts. 

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

It was ridiculous. As ridiculous as Littlefinger’s “play with her arse”, although I still think the latter was a bigger red flag.

disgusting! In general the way they portrayed sex workers in medieval times was just extremely problematic, insulting and respectless IMO. But I get why they did it. 

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

I agree, mostly. I do think there are adaptations that, despite not being super faithful to the source material still manage to be entertaining in their own right, and more importantly, are respectful to its source. Certainly not the case w/ GoT, on both counts.

Maybe I've just seen to many bad ones and then gave up on them. I was a kid, when they adapted all of those young adult novels, that I liked and despite the source materials being different from one another, they all somehow turned out to be the exact same movie over and over again- at least from my perspective. And IMO asoiaf got a similar "hollywood treatment" right from the beginning.

But I like the Harry Potter adaptations, at least you can't accuse them of totally ignoring the source material and Lord of the Rings, but I also watched the first movie before reading the books and I also like the old Great Gatsby movie with Robert Redfort. Usually adaptations turn out to be the best, when they don't have the pressure of becoming a big blockbuster or the books were so hugely successful, that everyone did read them and would be upset, if the source material wasn't respected (like with HP), but sadly that wasn't the case for asoiaf yet.

But in general I just like books way better than movies or tv series. There are only a few movies, that have affected me as much as good books do.

This is difficult because several terms immediately come to mind, and none of them flattering.

I will have to go with Unsurprising as my second choice, and Vindicating as my first, in complete agreement with @The Bard of Banefort.

Virtually nothing about the series finale and eighth season in general was appreciably different than the previous three seasons at least; it was more of the same abysmally written, poorly structured, unevenly distributed, thematically unsound, utterly nihilistic, sexist, racist, and albeist garbage, and the complete opposite of the books of which it professes to be an adaptation.

Abomination

in every way possible. Another word would be:

staring/walking

So many shots of characters walking slowly and staring. Ie showing off the actors.

I mean if you cut those scenes down to far smaller, like better shows would do, then the episode would probably only be about 30 mins long. Or less.

Bittersweet :) Not just in a narrative sense, but in a deeply emotional sense for fans of the narrative.