So what was this long story all about?

1 hour ago, Old Rusty Coin said:

What is good and what is not good; need we anyone to tell us these things?

Power, and the lust for power, corrupts.

Wanting the iron throne is the great sin in game of thrones.

3 minutes ago, Winter prince said:

It was about the end of tyranny for the sake of selfish interests. It was the dawn of a new world that didnt have choice of rulers but now does.

It has its choice. Or like ten people do. Let's assume Bran is selfless, because he acts like an alien. Who gets chosen next? Is Bran going to train a superior race of tree-people?

2 minutes ago, darmody said:

It has its choice. Or like ten people do. Let's assume Bran is selfless, because he acts like an alien. Who gets chosen next? Is Bran going to train a superior race of tree-people?

How long does Bran lives is the real question. Hundreds of years?

2 minutes ago, Winter prince said:

How long does Bran lives is the real question. Hundreds of years?

A paraplegic in the middle ages? He can't even go to the bathroom by himself, I assume.

That other guy lived forever, but that was in the magical North inside a special tree surrounded by the spells of the children of the forest. 

Just now, darmody said:

A paraplegic in the middle ages? He can't even go to the bathroom by himself, I assume.

That other guy lived forever, but that was in the magical North inside a special tree surrounded by the spells of the children of the forest. 

That's why I'm not sure on this. How do his powers work when theres no weirwood trees besides the isle of faces in the south

The best ruler is the one with the best story or some shit like that. It’s what masquerades as philosophy in D&D world. Funny how D&D dissed magic up until they decided the wizard should be King.

Just now, teej6 said:

The best ruler is the one with the best story or some shit like that. It’s what masquerades as philosophy in D&D world. Funny how D&D dissed magic up until they decided the wizard should be King.

Bran had the best story, surely. That's why he MISSED AN ENTIRE SEAON OF THE SHOW.

I think such a question is one that everyone will come to their own conclusion about.

For me I guess it would be something like this...

Even if there is an objective right vs wrong, each individual's definition of right vs wrong is subjective.

Which to me kind of indicates that objective right vs wrong doesn't exist since it is unknowable, but the story doesn't necessarily make that claim.

I take it to mean that actually you can never break the wheel. 

In the end I very much agreed with Dany. Perhaps the next few wars would be bloody but eventually she would have become a juggernaut and there would be no more need for war, surrender would have been automatic. She could have built that paradise. You could see she was sad about innocent death but genuinely felt the end of a glorious paradise justified the means. She wasn't evil or insane. I think she was hasty and ruthless. 

Instead - the more things change, the more they stay the same.

I take it to mean that actually you can never break the wheel. 

That's actually the exact opposite of the story's message.

I've written a whole series of character entries summarising how the entirety of ASOIAF is about the need to protect children from trauma, or they will perpetuate the cycle of abuse: https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/154628-asoiafs-overall-theme-the-protection-of-children-starting-with-sandors-arc-and-his-threefold-death-i-will-show-it-to-you/

The ending, with so many major houses of Westeros extinguished or set to be, was massively symbolic of an end to the cycle of trauma.

a good question. My interpretation is: "A war against zombies is won and humanity is saves thanks to 20 good men while lords play their petty little games."

So maybe about how the society is corrupted and interested only in minor things (like who rules where in Westeros) and don't pay attention to the really important stuff (aka the NK - in real life it might global warming, destruction of nature and planet and so on)  and they realize that it's really bad only after it is almost late. And when it is solved, people go back to petty little games, they never grow wiser (they kinda did in the show though)

Archived