Game of Thrones legacy

olenna123

Now that the show is over, do you guys think it will stand the test of time? 

I know most of us are disappointed here, but Im not sure if show only watchers will think the ending was as bad as we do. I've noticed that when the show started to decline in quality lots of people still regarded it as one of the best tv shows of all time. 

I think Got is a big spectacle in a way that hasn't been seen before, but perhaps the poor quality of the later seasons will prevent it from being considered as a truly good show? 

It will stand ... a worldwide phenomenon never to be seen again. At least regarding TV Shows ... The only mistake was that they didnt make 10 episodes each for the last 2 seasons ... or go with another final one where we would have seen more of Dany as antagonist.

It was a great series. This episode, IMHO, was a solid two thumbs down. And the last season was pretty, pretty, pretty underwhelming. But, that doesn’t ruin the series. If it were a true shitshow, nobody would be here discussing it in the wee hours of the morning. I think GOT is easily my favorite television show ever. 

1 minute ago, Greenmonsterff said:

It was a great series. This episode, IMHO, was a solid two thumbs down. And the last season was pretty, pretty, pretty underwhelming. But, that doesn’t ruin the series. If it were a true shitshow, nobody would be here discussing it in the wee hours of the morning. I think GOT is easily my favorite television show ever. 

Yeah. When a show becomes truly undeniably shit people just move on.. like Dexter. Or the Walking Dead. The worst reaction is none at all.

I think it'll be remembered in a very similar way as Lost. A groundbreaking show, with huge following both from cult fans and casual viewers, that started very strongly, lost it's way along the way, its writers got tired of it and run out of ideas, and with a very disappointing last season and finale.

I think it was fine and in context, actually.

I was tempted to hate it but things made sense.

If the books ever come out, it will be a lot neater, but it translated an epic fantasy series on TV better than anything I've ever seen in that sort of genre. End was rushed, but there was the problem of the BOOKS BEING TOO SLOWLY WRITTEN

4 minutes ago, azor_ahaiii said:

Groundbreaking show. Controversial ending.

I know some haters froth at the mouth at the thought of its legacy being "ruined" but nah it'll be fine, shit's revolutionary.

I agree. I've enjoyed it, if you didn't we can all respect each other's opinions. I watched S1 when it was shown the last week of December 2011 I believe, after that I binged the books in preparation for season 2 & since have become a huge ASOIAF fan. I hope that's happened with others. Has it diverged from the books? Yes, but I can separate show canon from book canon. That being said, I can acknowledge it's had ups and downs like any show. Overall I think it'll be remembered well.

10 minutes ago, deadfool said:

It won't hold up. It's bad now, and time will only make the good parts of the show (sets, costumes, effects) look less impressive. 

I have to disagree. This is most heavily scrutinized show ever. It's been under the microscope for years and all it's flaws are in the open

Bandwagons will probably keep talking about how great the ending is for quite a while, but the talk about the show will die in the end, it will never be in one of greatest series of all time because of that last season..

Seinfeld is the greatest sitcom in tv history. It had a somewhat lame or forgettable ending. Larry David then said screw writing finales for any series ever again because you cant possibly please everyone and they all come out with their own expectations and ideas for how they would have liked the show to go. But Seinfeld still stands the test of time(unlike Friends)

Game of Thrones is up there in the pantheon of great television. HBO made shows that destroyed the vapid shows that were before it in their repetitive, unoriginal "reality" tv show themes.

You dont need to go to cinemas anymore truly. It's like you watch them at home. GoT will have that legacy. The ups far surpassed the lows. The endin wasnt developed as well at it should or could have been but it was generally always where it was going. Just rushed.

38 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

No, it won't be remembered well at all.

None of the magic is ever explained. Daenerys' powers and Bran's powers are never explained. The White Walkers are completely made irrelevant.

I think you have to accept that some things just are. You can't explain magic, any explanation would just rely on more magic. 

1 minute ago, The Red Waste said:

I think you have to accept that some things just are. You can't explain magic, any explanation would just rely on more magic. 

Why then have a show with magical premises if you don't bother developing and building upon said magical premises

47 minutes ago, Daemos said:

I don't think the prequels will succeed because of the last 2 seasons.

We'll see, but I am guessing they will fail or succeed on their own merit. Entirely, since they do not have the books to build on. Unless they do relatively recent events the world is open enough for the writers to have quite a bit of wiggle room, as GRRM does not seem like he enjoys constraining writers too much, the usual problem with "owned-world literature".

Well, if this is where GRRM is really taking the story to as well, particularly with Dany and Jon, then no, I don't believe the story will stand the test of time. It definitely won't stand the test of time in the popular sense, like the original Star Wars trilogy, or the LotR books, or the Hobbit and especially when another epic fantasy story comes along, but with a more positive, heroically satisfying conclusion and a solid and universal spiritual message. When that happens then this story will be more clearly seen for the exercise in misdirection and violently shattered hopes that it is. I think there will always be people who dig that sort of thing, and that's perfectly fine, but in the popular imagination, I seriously doubt it.

I believe that at the end of the day, most people want to feel good at the end of such a story. They want to feel inspired, and entertained. The story of the Underdog is part of the Hero's Journey, which most certainly has stood the test of time. However, in this case, the author(s) played on popular fantasy tropes to gradually build the two main underdogs up to mythical status, only to bring them crashing down savagely (Dany) and unceremoniously (Jon) at the end. GRRM and D&D have played too much with the audiences heartstrings, continually teasing the story to be something that it ultimately wasn't for people to keep going back to it.

Archived