Game of Thrones legacy

olenna123

I think that it is a groundbreaking show, a real phenomenon. It will remembered although, as other said, it is not on the level of LOTR. The ending was always going to be controversial because with so many main and popular characters, you can't make everyone happy. What really sucks is the rapid decline in storytelling quality from S6 onward, although I think that as more time passes, the final seasons will be viewed more kindly.

But I think it would have secure GOT's legacy if the events of S6 and S7 were more or less put together into one 10-ep season (the majority of S6 was basically nothing happening excluding the final two episodes and S7 was even worse) and if S8 had 10 episodes and more time was given to motivation of characters, tying loose ends together and so on.

4 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

No, it won't be remembered well at all.

None of the magic is ever explained. Daenerys' powers and Bran's powers are never explained. The White Walkers are completely made irrelevant.

It is more than that. 

The last season is just too bad. It ruins almost all the story arcs they built for years. 

I have no idea why anyone would want to re-watch the show. Everything is meaningless, leads to nothing or a lie... 

The only legacy the show can have is how it is possible to ruin an entire show in 1 season... 

The test will come when the people who have not watched the show start watching, mostly binge watching.

We won't really know for a few years when people, who I am presuming are too young now (considering most people watch it), watch and respond.

I'd love to watch the whole show in one sitting and see how it feels as opposed to waiting a year in between seasons and then 2 years for this!

Unsure if there drop in quality will be noticeable or it will all flow.

Sopranos is one of my favourite shows, people (week to week viewers) hated the ending at the time. But I watched in a few sittings and love the ending (10 or so years later), as have most fans by this point.

I think it will end more like Boardwalk Empire, a second tier show people are recommended once you have finished watching Oz, the Wire etc.

There are enough reasons in the first half of the series for people to watch and continue watching though, they just might be too happy with where it ends up.

It'll end up like Lost but probably with a better reputation going forward due to the books.

A show that started magnificently well and changed TV but lost its way and ended up with a bit of a meh ending that disappointed fans. people will continue to rewatch it in the future but itll be known for more of what could have been rather than what it was.

The last season has damaged the legacy, due to it being too rushed. The ending might have worked out, if they took more time. The show will be remembered as good, but I don't think it will be cited among the best TV shows of all time.

I'm unsure about the binging/rewatch value of the show. The contrast between the slow paced earlier seasons with lots of characters and different plots and the rushed later seasons (especially the final one) might be more noticeable for new viewers who binge watch one episode after another, than for the people who had to wait a year for each new season. Personally, I'm not interested in rewatching the show, because I find it too depressing knowing where most of the characters end up. It is not a journey that I would like to take again.

I mean, this went from probably a contender for one of the greatest shows of all time. To being a great show that went downhill. Sopranos was famous for having a bad ending, or at the very least a controversial ending and it had a rough season but it was never this poorly written.

I honestly think it's going to be really hard to watch this show entirely again. All the scenes with the WW are just kinda a joke now. Dany's arc you realize doesn't have any meaning till it takes a nose dive at the end. R+L=J that they spent a lot of time on near the end means nothing.

Then there were the plots that were already weak that are going to look worse, the point of Dorne or Euron for example.

There is just a lot to look back on now and say, what was the point and I think it brings down some of the other episodes that were just good.

I don't know that it will hold up.  I know I and several folks I know feel the earlier seasons won't ever be worth revisiting for the simple fact they know where it ends up and they really disliked the ending for a variety of reasons.  Some are even saying the books no longer appeal to them because of what happened  on the show.  I won't tune into the prequels because it's obvious HBO won't put their foot down if the new shows start going off the rails the way this one did in the final seasons.

Hopefully GoT doesn't kill the fantasy genre altogether on television.  That's the one thing that would truly be tragic.

No, it won't. But not because of the final seasons alone. Because of the length, early complexity and graphic nature of the show. A lot of people make the comparison to Star Wars or LOTR, but those are relatively short by comparison and are both clean family fun.

The people who keep loving Star Wars 20, 30, 40 years later saw it for the first time when they were kids. Same with LOTR. Most people won't let their younglings watch GoT.

A lot of casuals who tuned into GOT did so because of the cultural momentum of the thing. A lot of those people who wanted to be "in the know" likely suspended their otherwise more simple or prudish tastes.

There will always be new people who pick it up, but it will never be at the level that Star Wars or LOTR will be, and it will lose much much more momentum because of it. Without the cultural timeliness it's too much investment to have staying power except for the already book readers.

Archived