Your predictions vs what actually happened

Nerevanin

How good fortune tellers are y'all? I suppose we all had some predictions for the end of the story or for various characters. How accurate were your predictions in comparison to what happened in the show (not just S8)? What did you predict but it didn't happen?

I'll start.

What I predicted and it happened: 1) Sansa directly causes the downfall of LF; 2) some of the dragons die; 3) Dany becomes the mad queen; 4) Jon kills Dany; 5) the good guys win the big war against the undead (duh); 6) neither Dany, nor Jon become the ruler of the 7K; 7) Sansa is the future of House Stark; 8) Arya leaves the civilization and becomes a rogue-like character; 9) Tyrion become the king, or regent or something like that (he is the Hand, so I count this as checked); 10) Sam and Davos survive the story; 11) Sam is basically the Bilbo/Frodo/Sam of this story (aka the one who writes the story down) ; 12) Jaime dies; 13) Brienne and Jaime become lovers; 14) Theon will sacrifice himself for a Stark; 15) Cleganebowl (I didn't predict it but I accepted the theory as true) ; 16) Gendry is the future of House Baratheon; 17) The Wall goes down (kinda)

What I predicted and it didn't happen / wasn't addressed : 1) Brienne is not pregnant with Jaime's child; 2) Jaime is the valonquar and kills Cersei; 3) Cersei tries to burn the KL (I don't count the Sept) ; 4) Brienne is the younger and more beautiful queen; 5) Varys survives the story; 6) all three dragons die; 7) Dany dies during the big battle against the undead and Jon kills her to create the Lightbringer or something like that;

Might come up with more later

I knew Danys character would succeed and then die. I figured Jon would kill Dany, the betrayal of love, which was right.

I knew Sansa would be Queen of the independent north. ( Scotland?)

Cersie would die.

Jamie died a hero.

Euron, the world needed one less pirate.

Clegane bowl was obvious, right?

Less certain but I thought:

I figured Tyrion would live and continue to be important.

Davos would live and still be handing out advice.

Sam would live to tell the story, but I thought he would marry.

Arya would live for no certain purpose.

Where I was wrong:

Bran.

Jon- I seriously thought he had one of two endings for him, as king or dead.

I thought all the dragons would die.

The rest.

I predicted Jon killing Dany. I also predicted Jon would be King. Predicted Arya would go East, not West and become an assassin. Those are really all that I cared enough about to predict. One out of three is a decent batting average. Basically, all of the other endings for characters I didn’t predict and was pretty, pretty, pretty disappointed with, except for Sansa and Brienne. And some of them felt like they came out of left field. Sam should not have been Grand Maester. Bronn should not have been master of coin. And worst of all, Bran as King just seems stupid as fuck. Why would future tree man be King?

2 hours ago, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

Jon- I seriously thought he had one of two endings for him, as king or dead.

I used to think so as well but after the battle with the NK, I started to think about a third possible end. When Jon said goodbye to Tormund in Ep4 and Tormund said that Jon would be happier beyond the Wall, it seemed almost clear that either Jon would die in the south (or become the king - either way he wouldn't go to the Wall again), or he'd later join Tormund.

3 hours ago, Vanadis said:

Hm, I think I predicted more marriages. Perhaps that is the ultimate moral of the story. Marriages bad. :P

I didn't predict any marriage tbh, but it seems wierd to me that there were so many characters and so few weddings during the whole story. Who had a wedding? Dany 2x (she married Hizdar in the books), Sansa, Edmure, Robb, Joffrey, Tommen... anyone else?  And the same thing goes for pregnancies. There are (or rather were) so many female characters and yet the only pregnancy was Dany, Cersei and Robb's wife and none of those children lived. Oh and Gilly of course, but who cares about Gilly?

MATCH

I predicted before the start of the season 8 that "the Iron throne was created by dragon fire and will be destroyed by dragon fire". Perfect match. Not many people agreeing on this before the start.

I predicted "All White walkers and wights should die in the moment the Night King dies. Loudest battle clamour, suddenly utter silence. The great war is over. But of course the South is still holding up... the next war to come.". Perfect match.

I predicted no one will sit on the Iron throne.

I predicted Jon will kill Daenerys, because she went Mad Queen.

I predicted Arya goes West of Westeros. 

I predicted Sansa, Arya, Sam to survive. I predicted "the pack survives".

I predicted Daenerys, Cersei, Varys, Melisandre to die.

WRONG

I predicted all three dragons die. -- Only two died, Drogon escapes unexpectedly.

I predicted Jon to die, sacrificing himself for the realm. He does sacrifices himself somehow, but survives anyway.

I expected Grey Worm to die. I am surprised he survived the whole series.

see also

24 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

I didn't predict any marriage tbh, but it seems wierd to me that there were so many characters and so few weddings during the whole story.

Especially since Cat and Robb's story is centered around how important marriages are, and Tommen's wedding is a real obstacle for Cersei...

Once Varys and Tyrion found out about Jon's heritage, they should have pushed for a wedding between Jon and Dany as a way to stabilize the realm.

Nearly all of my predictions for season 8, turned out to be incorrect. Though they were based on the books (such as Valonqar prophecy that wasn't present in the show, Howland Reed, Ashara Dayne, Lightbringer, etc.), thus they were wrong because of that :rolleyes:

https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/148408-season-8-predictions/&do=findComment&comment=8050284

Out of 25 only 5 are correct, and 5 are half-correct. In total only 30% of correct guesses.

" 9. Arya and the Hound together will kill the Mountain. For this Arya will use two Valiryan swords - Brienne's Oathkeeper (given to her by Jaime), and Jaime's Widow's Wail <- those two swords used to be one huge sword Ice, that belonged to Ned Stark. Probably Arya's current sword Needle will break in a battle. So as a grown up girl, she will throw away her brother's sword, and take her father's sword.

10. Jaime will die. Probably he will be killed by the Mountain. But after that, he will be reanimated by Night's King, thus Brienne will have to kill him with Oathkeeper, to protect Arya from him. (After that Arya will take both of their swords, and fight with them against the Mountain.)

12. Dany will die, but she will be revived by Melisandre, who will give all of her powers to bring her back to the world of living. As result of it, she will become old, and she will ask Dany to be burned by her dragon. Death by fire, especially dragon fire, is considered by Red Priests as purest form of death, a blessing from their god.

14. Theon will die saving Yara.

15. Arya + Gendry.

19. Dolorous Edd will become a wight, and will be offed by Jon.

20. Yara will become Queen of Iron Islands.

21. Tyrion will become Lord of Casterly Rock, and Warden of the West. 

22. Sam will become Grand Maester.

23. Gendry will become Lord of Stormlands."

Two things I got right:

1. Jon would join the wildlings, although him being forced to take the black never occurred to me. The North is his home and the wildlings are his family. 
  2. Jon kills Dany.

I missed the boat on Bran. I thought they might somehow have a great council and develop something along the lines of the Magna Carta...but I guess they're not ready for that yet although we've seen the Ironborn choose their rulers democratically. 

Did quite well on my personal quiz about who survived and who died. Only thing I missed from those I guessed on, was that I thought all dragons/direwolves would be gone, and for Jon I had a 50/50 going north of the wall/die. Missed badly on Bran (didn't see that one coming), and is was quite sure Sansa and Tyrion ended up married.

RIGHT

Dies: Dany, Cersei, Jamie, Theon, Euron, Melissandre, the Hound, the Mountain, Rhaegal, (also had Jon on a 50/50 die, goes north)

Survives: Bran, Sansa, Arya, Tyrion, Yara, Tormund, (Nymeria, if she counts)

Iron Throne: It is melted by the end of the series, replaced by some kind of more democratic system

WRONG

Dies: Ghost, Drogon

King/Queen of the 7 kingdoms: Tyrion and Sansa

5 hours ago, Kajjo said:

I predicted Jon to die, sacrificing himself for the realm. He does sacrifices himself somehow, but survives anyway.

I expected Grey Worm to die. I am surprised he survived the whole series.

I thought for a long time that it would be Dany who would sacrifice herself for the realm. I imagined it roughly like this: Dany becomes mad queen but she is still not completely evil or mad. The battle against the undead is the final battle of the story and things look pretty bad for the good guys and this is when Dany redeems herself and shows her good side and she decides to sacrifice herself for the realm. Jon kills her and thus kills two birds with one stone: he gets the Lightbringer which changes the course of the battle and he and Dany are Azor Ahai and Nissa Nissa reborn. Well, that didn't happen...

I still can't believe that Grey Worm survived the story out of all the characters. Jon should have killed him when he was going to kill Dany. But I suppose that they needed a "villain" who causes that Jon is sent to The Wall.

2 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

he gets the Lightbringer which changes the course of the battle and he and Dany are Azor Ahai and Nissa Nissa reborn. Well, that didn't happen...

Yes, I once imagined something like that, too. It is weird that the "Promised Prince"-prophecy has had no solution in the show.

3 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

I still can't believe that Grey Worm survived the story out of all the characters.

Me neither.

Killing Grey Worm seems unrealistic, though, considering all Unsullied on his side.

1 minute ago, Kajjo said:

Killing Grey Worm seems unrealistic, though, considering all Unsullied on his side.

I meant it as something like "Jon goes to see Dany. GW guards the throne room. GW doesn't want to let Jon inside. They argue for a bit and then Jon surprise kills GW to get him out of his way."

3 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

I meant it as something like "Jon goes to see Dany. GW guards the throne room. GW doesn't want to let Jon inside. They argue for a bit and then Jon surprise kills GW to get him out of his way."

For the kill, yes, but afterwards he would be certainly dead. No exit strategy for Jon then. Anyway, we agree that GW surviving was highly unlikely.

While I believe the essence will be the same in the book and show, I still wonder how GRRM will resolve the prophecies Azor Ahai and PTWP.

My only predictions were that no one would sit on the IT, that it would be melted into slag, and that Bronn would reappear in a power position.  He should be granted another title: "Smarter than Tyrion."

Haha, I just found a 4 years old file in my computer with a LOT of theories I had based on the books (I didn't know the show back then). I apparently wrote it down after I first read the books, so I didn't know any fan theories and so on. For you amusement I write it here. I put it in spoilers so it isn't a loooong post:

What I got (at least partly) right:

Spoiler

- Arya meets Nymeria again

-  Tyrion will be the hand of whoever becomes the king / queen

- Littlefinger will try to marry Sansa

- Brienne + Jaime

- Coldhands is Benjen Stark

- Tyrion helps Dany to gain even more power in order to get revenge against Cersei & co.

- one of Dany's dragons dies

- Stannis dies

- Beric joins Stannis or Melisandre

- Barristan dies

- Jorah will saves Dany's life and he dies during it

- Sandor is alive (after Arya left him to die)

- Sansa uses what she learnt from Littlefinger and somehow betrays him / tricks him (but doesn't kill him - see what I didn't get right)

- Sansa survives, is the future of House Stark and the Wardeness (almost!) of the North

- Sandor kills his brother

- Arya has a key role in the finale but leaves Sansa&co. when all is said and done and goes to wilderness or something like that with Nymeria (no... :( )

- Dany dies

- Mel dies

- Davos lives (but I thought he returns to his wife)

- either Jaime, or Brienne dies

What I didn't get right

Spoiler

- Hodor is a son / grandson of Walder Frey

- Lady is actually alive

- Bran becomes the leader of wildlings

- Brienne dies

- Littlefinger kills SweetRobin

- Tyrion kills Littlefinger - I really thought that? It's evident that this is Sansa's task

- Theon lives and becomes a rogue knight

- Barristan becomes a dragon rider

- Brienne becomes friends with Sandor

- Tyrion meets Tysha

- the letter that Ramsay wrote to Jon is fake (probably meant as not written by Ramsay) and is a tool to provoke Jon into action

- Sam becomes the Lord Commander of Night's Watch

- Rickon survives, gives up his claim on Winterfell and lives with the wildlings

- Jon either dies or becomes the king of 7K

- Mel dies after she is defeated by Others and left alone by her god

- Cersei survives and lives in poverty

- Margaery survives

Hard to say / not adressed:

Spoiler

- Dany is the younger and beautiful queen

- Littlefinger is the one who sent the assassin in S1 to kill Bran

- the dragon eggs hatched because Dany sacrificed a king (Drogo)

- Old Nan is a COTF

- Sweetrobin is Littlefinger's son

- Jaime is the voloquor

- the Azor Ahai has to sacrifice herself / himself to save the realm

Archived