Do you feel this show had any negative effect on how you view the books?

Nami

19 hours ago, GoldenGail3 said:

Bran being king in the books makes no sense though.  In the books people don’t even know that he’s still alive though..

Ups, didn't explain what I meant. I was referring to R+L=J previously and thought it obvious that he was Jon. Re reading it now, sorry, I was referring to Jon.

22 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

I think prophecies should avoid being too on the nose and also too easy to guess.

Half the prophecies, dreams, visions relate to things that already happened. Generally the interpretation is not obvious before it happened. But there is no ambiguity. For example Jojen salt water flowing over the walls of Winterfell. It is GRRM to decide what this stuff means. But IMO, it means "magic exists and you should take heed of what it tells you".

22 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

What? Jaime made those choices! He went into that, eyes wide open.

I didn't say Jaime was not aware. But he is trapped, dominated. He has been since infancy and never grew out of it.

The man looked over at the woman. "The things I do for love," he said with loathing. He gave Bran a shove.

Jaime is a big man. But not before Cersei.

On 7/21/2020 at 10:42 AM, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Ups, didn't explain what I meant. I was referring to R+L=J previously and thought it obvious that he was Jon. Re reading it now, sorry, I was referring to Jon.

Ok my original post said I didn’t want Bran being king, and I seriously doubt that Jon will be King with or without R+L being a thing. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 2:35 PM, BalerionTheCat said:

Jaime is a big man. But not before Cersei.

That's loathing for himself, because he loves her. Aka, self-loathing?

C'mon do you really think GRRM is going with "poor widdle Jaime, dominated by big bad cersei his whole life" 

Even Jaime knows he has personal responsibility and isn't looking for excuses...

Quite the opposite. I'm now more exited to see where the books will go. I now see it not only as the continuation of the story but also a chance for redemption. I want to see the ending Game of Thrones should have gotten.

Despite how season 8 ended I'm still invested in Westeros and its inhabitants. It deserved better and it will no doubt get something better. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2020 at 8:38 AM, Rose of Red Lake said:

Even Jaime knows he has personal responsibility and isn't looking for excuses...

Jaime killed Aerys. It was the right thing to do. While his oath, his honor was requesting differently. Not many would have done that. IMO Jaime has a greater understanding of responsibilities than many. Book wise, his dealing of the Riverland aftermath is also an evidence. He is now fleeing Cersei (because she betrayed him?) and things seem to be going better for him now.

Show wise there is no Riverlands (or not much, not good). Jaime is Cersei's slave to the end. Beyond any logic or reason. Maybe it's just D&D blundering. But I thought it was coherent with a character totally submitted to another. Not illogical IMO. It started when Jaime and Cersei were both children, Cersei even assuming the role of the male, supposedly dominating the female in this society. The influence of early childhood on personality.

Archived