Jump to content
Nami

Do you feel this show had any negative effect on how you view the books?

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Ygrain said:

Jon as a disgraced outlaw is an option I consider viable; actually, had it among possible scenarios way before the show. But I do expect his parentage matter somehow, both to his personal development as well as the overall arc. I think that Varys' lame attempt at plotting might hint at Jon struggling not to become anyone's pawn in the game of thrones.

If we start by saying that the wildlings won t go north of the Wall because they have wanted to be south of it for generations, jon gave them lands in the gift, one of the wildlings married alys karstark, there is enough space in the north for them… 

Where is jon going to be an outlaw? It sounds completly depressing to have him back in the NW where he began without it having any porpuse and exiling him north of the Wall is even more depressing!

Unless you are sugesting he will take a dragon and go explore the world...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nami said:

Is this really the ending we're going to get? Are you ok with that?
I look at the books on my shelf now and think: Dany is my favorite character. I relate to her in a sense. I've rooted for her and cried with her. Is this really where all her struggles and pain are gonna lead her to? Turning mad and being killed by her boyfriend? What was the point of it all?

Nope, not ok because its so damn clumsy. I've always felt that there was an element of elegancy to this story but now Im completely proven wrong.

Its aspartame's-sweet for everyone except Dany and Drogon. He will nosebump her bones for 200 years all alone. WTF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, divica said:

Where is jon going to be an outlaw? It sounds completly depressing to have him back in the NW where he began without it having any porpuse and exiling him north of the Wall is even more depressing!

 

Why depressing? He might steal Val and live like a wildling - I think that some of them would return to their old life northof the Wall (whether it stands ot not) simply to be free of the kneelers' customs, and Jon might actually quite enjoy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Nami said:

Is this really the ending we're going to get? Are you ok with that?

I like the ending and I expect the major arcs will match. I believe in show=book for

  • Daenerys going berserk
  • Jon killing Daenerys for the good of the realm
  • Bran being elected king
  • Arya going West of Westeros
  • Sansa being Queen in the North

I don't believe in details like Bronn in the small council.

 

Edited by Kajjo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ygrain said:

Why depressing? He might steal Val and live like a wildling - I think that some of them would return to their old life northof the Wall (whether it stands ot not) simply to be free of the kneelers' customs, and Jon might actually quite enjoy it.

He can t be in love with danny and sudenly end up with val. And if some wildlings go north it sounds like it would be the worst of them that don t accept to live in society… Like cannibals or rapists...

Any decent wildling would be happy in the gift where they can live mostly like they used to… Like the clansmen or skagosi do...

And having jon do everything to save the realm no matter the cost, kill the woman he loves and ending up exiled from the realm is depressing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Daenerys and Jaime are two of my favorite characters, so if this is how things unfold in Martin’s version I would be highly disappointed. 

King Bran (what is he 10 in the books?) would also bother me. 

Daenerys breaking bad and eventually being killed is something I could be quite happy with, if it were written well.

Daenerys going from typical warlord in Planetos and saviour of the world from the Others to Adolf Hitler over the course of 50 pages is something I would be furious with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SeanF said:

Daenerys breaking bad and eventually being killed is something I could be quite happy with, if it were written well.

Daenerys going from typical warlord in Planetos and saviour of the world from the Others to Adolf Hitler over the course of 50 pages is something I would be furious with.

That is another problem with the show's ending. What was done after the ww are defeated can t be written in few pages… It needs at least a book if not more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, divica said:

And having jon do everything to save the realm no matter the cost, kill the woman he loves and ending up exiled from the realm is depressing...

Yes, but it fits his arc perfectly. He was always on the short end of life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Ygrain said:

Why depressing? He might steal Val and live like a wildling - I think that some of them would return to their old life northof the Wall (whether it stands ot not) simply to be free of the kneelers' customs, and Jon might actually quite enjoy it.

So if he has kids with Val, are they going to be true born or bastards? In the show, Tyrion explicitly tells him he can’t marry and have kids (made me want to punch Dinklage in the face when I heard that). When Stannis offers him Winterfell, he begins to hope for kids... hope that one day his kid and Gilly’s will be like brothers just like Robb and him. It’s shitty writing to throw him back into the penal colony with no hope for a normal life after all I imagine he will be put through before the end. I’d rather he die if this is the end GRRM has planned for him. 

Edited by teej6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, teej6 said:

So if he has kids with Val, are they going to be true born or bastards? In the show, Tyrion explicitly tells him he can’t marry and have kids (made me want to punch Dinklage in the face when I heard that). When Stannis offers him Winterfell, he begins to hope for kids... hope that one day his kid and Gilly’s will be like brothers just like Robb and him. It’s shitty writing to throw him back into the penal colony with no hope for a normal life after all I imagine he will be put through before the end. I’d rather him die if this is the end GRRM has planned for him. 

That is also my problem. It is a miserable end for him where he ends up at the miserable place he began...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

I like the ending and I expect the major arcs will match. I believe in show=book for

  • Daenerys going berserk
  • Jon killing Daenerys for the good of the realm
  • Bran being elected king
  • Arya going West of Westeros
  • Sansa being Queen in the North

I don't believe in details like Bronn in the small council.

 

Bran Stark, King of Westeros and Sansa, queen in the North. What sense does that make? Why would the Northmen want an independent North if the sole surviving son to their beloved Ned is King of the seven kingdoms. Why would they want Sansa to rule as queen when there’s a Stark on the throne of Westeros? The whole Sansa being QitN is D&D’s way of appeasing all the fans that will be upset because the female leader (Dany) didn’t get to sit the IT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

I like the ending and I expect the major arcs will match. I believe in show=book for

  • Daenerys going berserk
  • Jon killing Daenerys for the good of the realm
  • Bran being elected king
  • Arya going West of Westeros
  • Sansa being Queen in the North

I don't believe in details like Bronn in the small council.

 

Arya going west of Westeros yeah because an 11 year is going to comand a ship and Bran what is he 9 or 10 going to untagle himself from his weirwood throne and be dragged back passed the wall. Have you read the books?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Is the Night's Watch really a penal colony, or more like a northern ski resort now?  Being in the Night's Watch hardly stopped Jon from taking Ygritte.  Sam has just left and is serving as Grand Maester, but I don't recall him being released from the Night's Watch.  The Wall isn't even part of the kingdom anymore and there is no threat from White Walkers and they are friends with the Wildlings...  Besides the whole thing was to appease the Unsullied who then left, so beyond Jon's honor, who is going to care if he goes to visit Winterfell or anywhere else at will?  Especially with the north being an independent kingdom, there is no recourse if they choose not to punish deserters or just decide they don't need a Night's Watch and don't really want criminals sent up into their kingdom in the first place.

Edited by Tadco26

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, because the TV ending is probably the only one will ever get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, the tower of albion said:

Arya going west of Westeros yeah because an 11 year is going to comand a ship

Have you seen the show at all?! My goodness. No knowledge, no contributions, would be a way to go.

Arya is 18 now, turning 19. Of course she can have a ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, teej6 said:

Bran Stark, King of Westeros and Sansa, queen in the North. What sense does that make? Why would the Northmen want an independent North if the sole surviving son to their beloved Ned is King of the seven kingdoms. Why would they want Sansa to rule as queen when there’s a Stark on the throne of Westeros? The whole Sansa being QitN is D&D’s way of appeasing all the fans that will be upset because the female leader (Dany) didn’t get to sit the IT. 

I completly agree. In the books sansa's story seems to be about how to take control of the vale in order to help the kitn.  I have no idea why sansa would be queen instead of her husband being king… 

And I have no idea why the other kingdoms would accept someone that doesn t have a claim to the IT. There is no way anyone besides a targ or baratheon has the support of all the other kingdoms without conquering them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The final episode was absolutely wonderful. A beautiful and tragic death for Dany. A great end for Jon. An unexpected King. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, the tower of albion said:

Arya going west of Westeros yeah because an 11 year is going to comand a ship and Bran what is he 9 or 10 going to untagle himself from his weirwood throne and be dragged back passed the wall. Have you read the books?

Time gaps exist as do epilogues. Cry all you want, the endgame will probably be the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Yes, but it fits his arc perfectly. He was always on the short end of life.

No it doesn t. His arc is about him growing up and ruling something, finding who he is, defeating the others...

There is nothing that says he will have to be miserable… That is more related to tyrion...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×