(Grandmaester) Samwell Tarley: who's running the show now @ Horn Hill

SerShakey

Hi, thanks.  Spoilers.  So after GoT finale, what happened to Sam's wilding squeeze and the Craster babe-brood?  Did Sam have younger siblings who're capable of running the show there after dad and Dick-on got fire blasted by Drogon?  

Also, isn't going from an apprentice maester to Grand Maester kind of a jump up the chain  (pun intended?) of command over there at the Citadel?  I'm sure it helps that your bro(ken Bran) is now King of the Andals, et al, but still...

Cheers.

1 hour ago, SerShakey said:

Hi, thanks.  Spoilers.  So after GoT finale, what happened to Sam's wilding squeeze and the Craster babe-brood?  Did Sam have younger siblings who're capable of running the show there after dad and Dick-on got fire blasted by Drogon?  

Also, isn't going from an apprentice maester to Grand Maester kind of a jump up the chain  (pun intended?) of command over there at the Citadel?  I'm sure it helps that your bro(ken Bran) is now King of the Andals, et al, but still...

Cheers.

I think Sam proved himself smarter than the dusty old farts he was learning from. Bran likes Sam and the appointment seems natural. Horn hill, indeed who? Perhaps his sister?

57 minutes ago, Prince Aegon VI said:

I kinda assumed Craster got swallowed up by the dead army on their march towards the Wall. As for Sam, anything goes with him - not my favourite character. Seemed to long outlive any relevance, other than being Jon's pal.

I heard recently that if GRRM could (or should) be any character in asoiaf, it would be Samwell T.  Maybe that explains his longevity in the series...

Yeah him being grand maester didn't make much sense.  He just dumped Gilly and fake son and then real son off in Horn Hill and.. cya?  Come on after all he's been through with Gilly there's no way he'd abandon her now.

I suppose that his fake and real kids are the lords of Horn Hill now and Gilly is there with them. But yeah, it didn't make much sense that Sam suddenly becomes the grandmaster just because he always wanted to be a maester. It felt a bit wierd considering his relationship with Gilly, who was nowhere to be seen (or was she?).

3 hours ago, Prince Aegon VI said:

I kinda assumed Craster got swallowed up by the dead army on their march towards the Wall. As for Sam, anything goes with him - not my favourite character. Seemed to long outlive any relevance, other than being Jon's pal.

Craster died way back is S3 or so, he was killed buy the men of NW that survived the attack at the Fist of First Men iirc.

18 minutes ago, Rhollo said:

Isnt't he also still a sworn brother of the Night's watch?

"There's still a Night's Watch?" ;)

27 minutes ago, Rhollo said:

Not just any brother, Sam would be, by default, Lord Commander of The Nights Watch. Grand Maester.

And now it seems, Oathbreaker.

Unless his watch has come to an end .. given that the wall kind of has a big hole in it and well .. there isn't really anything to watch.. I guess.

His sister is obviously the Lady of Horn Hill.  What I want to know is what happened to Gilly.  Sam can't have a wife or children, so is Gilly still at Winterfell?  Did she go North of the Wall?  Is she at Horn Hill?  She wasn't a major character, but she was certainly a bigger character than Gendry or Edmure, and we found out what happened to them.  Shouldn't we be told what happened to her as well?

In my canon, she's still at Winterfell, raising her kids.

3 minutes ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

In my canon, she's still at Winterfell, raising her kids.

It's been a while since I read the books, but was Gilly's kid (the one she left the North with) not really Mance Rayders? Hers is somewhere else...or was that plot line dropped on TV

2 minutes ago, Prince Aegon VI said:

It's been a while since I read the books, but was Gilly's kid not really Mance Rayders. Hers is somewhere else...or was that plot line dropped on TV

Yes, that plot was dropped on the tv show.  Mance didn't have any kids as far as I recall.

But yes, Gilly is raising Mance's kid in the books (I believe his name is going to be Aemon), while her son (Monster) is raised by Val at Castle Black.

I was referring to show canon.  I would rather she remained at Winterfell where we last saw her, because 1) she's a Northern girl, and 2) Sam is a dick if he abandoned her to become Grand Maester.

Just now, Prince Aegon VI said:

It's been a while since I read the books, but was Gilly's kid not really Mance Rayders. Hers is somewhere else...or was that plot line dropped on TV

Yes, that was a plot point in the books but not in the TV show. Dalla was cut entirely, so there is no Mance baby.

33 minutes ago, Rhollo said:

That's the bigger problem to me, why is Jon being sent back to the Wall, but not Sam?  He lost all his titles when he joined the Night's Watch so he is heir to nothing.  That was the whole point of sending him to the Night's Watch in the first place for his father.

2 minutes ago, Tadco26 said:

That's the bigger problem to me, why is Jon being sent back to the Wall, but not Sam?  He lost all his titles when he joined the Night's Watch so he is heir to nothing.  That was the whole point of sending him to the Night's Watch in the first place for his father.

King Bran is making new rules. Sam can now have children but Jon can't. 

We have no notion of how much time passed until that reunion of the council...

Maybe Sam returned to the citadel (obvious because he showed the book of asoiaf to Tyrion) and eventually became a Maester and Archmaester and was sent/requested to be Grand Maester. I know he actually looked the same and that should have taken years or decades, but it's not impossible.

And about him leaving Gilly and little sons, well Ned Stark leaved his in winterfell to be Hand of The King...  I'ts just the way things are in westeros...

Archived