Did Bran know all the time he is the future king?

Nerevanin

On 5/20/2019 at 10:06 AM, tallTale said:

Whats the point of the raven having three eyes if he can't see the future?

3 eyes = past , present, future.

i always saw it as a way to signify his warging ability. that was, in a way, his third eye to view all events at all times. if he could actually view the future, it would just make his story boring. but i don't doubt that he could spot patterns that have occurred throughout history to make an educated guess towards future events.

4 hours ago, TheFirstofHerName said:

Do we know who the first 3ER was?   Was there one before Brynden Rivers?   I wonder if his origins will be addressed in the prequel or the final two books?   I just don’t fully trust Bran.  I guess I should...but I don’t.

Before Bryden?  Yes, I think that would have been another human or CotF before him.  I postulated this elsewhere - I believe that the 3ER has been around for thousands of years.  At least since the Long Night (or immediately afterwards)  but maybe before.  Which would mean many, many different 3ER incarnations.  Each incarnation would live a long time, but would eventually 'die' or become one with its tree.

It would be quite interesting if the prequel and/or the books touch on this.  Who or what was the first 3ER?  Was it a human?  Or a Child of the Forest?  Was it Brandon the Builder?

Heh...well, 'Bran' is as much Bran as he is Brynden Rivers.   Bryden was quite the Machiavellian manipulator, wasn't he?  :)

I don't think it was the plan. They spent so much screen time setting up something different. I think this was their way out of the corner they were in and opted for leaning toward something more modern seeming. They just discarded so much. I am tired of multiple seasons of shows that start out strong, appear to have a clear direction and then they fumble around in the end. The way forward was written. If there was supposed to be this twist, they didn't support it.

On 5/20/2019 at 6:41 PM, Damon_Tor said:

"Gently?" No.

Keep in mind Bran was in control of the information about Jon's lineage and chose to share it, even pushed Sam to share it with Jon. He could have warned Jon not to share it with Sansa and chose to allow him to tell her. Without the estrangement this information caused between Jon and Dany, and without Dany's newfound insecurity about her claim to the throne, she wouldn't have felt the need to burn King's Landing to inspire fear. D&D were clear on that last point in behind the episode.

I don't think that Daenerys' only motivation to burn King's Landing and all its people came from her insecurity over Jon's claim to the throne:  She had seen Missandei, who was one of the two or three people in the world she trusted (and had lost another, Jorah, to the wights), murdered by Cersei's order; she had lost faith in the judgment of her Hand; and she had executed a key advisor (Varys) for treachery.

I'm not sure Bran sees all of the past and present and especially in the future, in any kind of linear, recognizable, order.  I think he has visions of the future without seeing the whole picture, like snapshots rather than a coherent documentary.  And he has to know what to look for in the past and present, I think...

He traveled (teletransported) all the way down to King's Landing to be named King. Yes, he knew the roasting of the City and let it happen. Tyrion didn't send a raven to Winterfell asking for him to come down south because a kingsmoot was about to happen. Sansa would have been asked since she would be the Lady of Winterfell by default because Bran said he could not be the Lord of anything. And of course, there must always be a Stark in Winterfell. 

Archived