the purpose of Dany's arc

Nerevanin

Let's discuss the  purpose of Dany's arc in the whole story.

Let's briefly summarize things: she starts as daughter of a dynasty which was overthrown by a rebellion. Dany believes that her destiny is to come back home and rule the 7K and that people will welcome her as their savior. She repeatedly things about getting the revenge against the so-called Usurper and his dogs. Later, she gains power and devoted follower. She wants to save not only the 7K but also the whole world, so she burns and crucifies the slavers, liberates slaves, bans slavery and basically turns the whole Slaver's Bay into chaos. Later she eventually sails into Westeros and while some people join forces with her, other don't bend the knee and no one welcomes her as their savior. She starts another war in the country because it is her destiny to sit on the Iron Throne and cruelly kills those who opposes her (Tarlys). But later she stops her conquest to go north and fight the big war against undead. It can be said that without her army the living would lose. After the war some people tried to conspire against her. Following a serie of unfortunate events, she turned into a mad queen and caused a massive carnage while she still believed she is the chosen one and that her destiny is to make a perfect world. Eventually she was killed by her loved one and she never even got the chance to sit on the Iron Throne, let alone rule the 7K.

Now, what was in your opinion the purpose of Dany's story? How do you interpret it? (please try to avoid replies like "bad writing")

34 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

Let's briefly summarize things: she starts as daughter of a dynasty which was overthrown by a rebellion. Dany believes that her destiny is to come back home and rule the 7K and that people will welcome her as their savior. She repeatedly things about getting the revenge against the so-called Usurper and his dogs. Later, she gains power and devoted follower. She wants to save not only the 7K but also the whole world, so she burns and crucifies the slavers, liberates slaves, bans slavery and basically turns the whole Slaver's Bay into chaos. Later she eventually sails into Westeros and while some people join forces with her, other don't bend the knee and no one welcomes her as their savior. She starts another war in the country because it is her destiny to sit on the Iron Throne and cruelly kills those who opposes her (Tarlys). But later she stops her conquest to go north and fight the big war against undead. It can be said that without her army the living would lose. After the war some people tried to conspire against her. Following a serie of unfortunate events, she turned into a mad queen and caused a massive carnage while she still believed she is the chosen one and that her destiny is to make a perfect world. Eventually she was killed by her loved one and she never even got the chance to sit on the Iron Throne, let alone rule the 7K.

Now, what was in your opinion the purpose of Dany's story? How do you interpret it? (please try to avoid replies like "bad writing")

Unfortunately, we are now led to believe that she was a murderous, lying, hypocrite, from the time she stood by and watched her brother get his crown of gold - which the show runners tell us was the start of her journey into evil.  That is an interpretation of her character that I hate.

Just now, SeanF said:

Unfortunately, we are now led to believe that she was a murderous, lying, hypocrite, from the time she stood by and watched her brother get his crown of gold - which the show runners tell us was the start of her journey into evil.  That is an interpretation of her character that I hate.

Her brother threatened to killl her and her unborn baby. The show neglected to mention that part.

1 minute ago, SeanF said:

I think the explanation Tyrion gives to Jon while in his cell, works best. Dany has been committing her fair share of aggressive acts since the earlier seasons. The main difference being that in the past she would target her antagonists, who were vile people. This time in KL she went overboard and killed indiscriminately.

2 minutes ago, House Balstroko said:

I think the explanation Tyrion gives to Jon while in his cell, works best. Dany has been committing her fair share of aggressive acts since the earlier seasons. The main difference being that in the past she would target her antagonists, who were vile people. This time in KL she went overboard and killed indiscriminately.

We're being given different explanations.  Tyrion has her down as a well-intentioned extremist, Kit Harrington says she was cruel and brutal from the time that Viserys was killed.

3 minutes ago, SeanF said:

We're being given different explanations.  Tyrion has her down as a well-intentioned extremist, Kit Harrington says she was cruel and brutal from the time that Viserys was killed.

Tyrion’s one makes more sense in hindsight, since we can see the gradual change. 

Her purpose in my eyes was to be the last villain the heroes had to defeat, and for there to be a cost to the heroes' victory: They loved her before they killed her.

I think we were mislead into thinking the show was telling her story alongside others' stories, when in truth she was a plot device the whole time.

Bad writing. 

On a more serious note though I would tie her arc with Jon. 

Both are Targaryen. Dany represents the old system, even if she wants to break the wheel she is still old school. Jon on the other hand isn't. He didn't give much importance to his heritage and didn't seem to hesitate to put honor, people and Westeros before love or his Targaryen side. 

I also think that Dany represents Fantasy. And her death is a way of saying that we need to get rid of the relics of the past, fantasy(dragons/heroic savior etc) to build this new world. 

We can also consider Bran represents the future as in "timelines". 

Kind of duel between romance and realism. Fantasy and SciFi...

At the end, I can't see a real explanation to her arc as a character. Other than probably shocking the viewer by her death and downfall. Because after all, everything she brought, is now lost. 

54 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

Now, what was in your opinion the purpose of Dany's story

In essence, there is (1) how brainwashing a child into stupid notions like greed for power and believing in being a saviour is decisive for their whole life, (2) reality is tougher than such stupid notions, (3) the path to hell is paved by good intentions. 

It also teaches that complete ruthlessness usually triggers opposition. Threatening Winterfell in her last speech was too much to cope with for Jon. 

59 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

I like to think its that one bad deed doesn't undo the good ones you did before just like one good deed doesn't undo the bad.

That said I strongly disagree with this ending being "bittersweet". Like, it was sweet for everyone but Dany and the dragons. Wtf. Of corse she turned mad, not like GRRM or D&D was gonna let the greatest person continue being best, subverting expectations and making grey characters outweigh everything and Dany was so white they had to pour tar on it to make it grey. Its clumsy.

1 minute ago, Sigella said:

Like, it was sweet for everyone but Dany and the dragons

Wasn't hat much for Jon, who lost quite a lot.

Sansa had ambitions for being The Queen, not only Queen in the North.

The Unsullied have gained almost nothing. Hopefully, they will use their freedom wisely. I doubt it.

8 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

In essence, there is (1) how brainwashing a child into stupid notions like greed for power and believing in being a saviour is decisive for their whole life, (2) reality is tougher than such stupid notions, (3) the path to hell is paved by good intentions. 

It also teaches that complete ruthlessness usually triggers opposition. Threatening Winterfell in her last speech was too much to cope with for Jon. 

I usually don't try to counter others people's opinion, especially since this is the end, but this is too much...

Unless you are 15 and you don't see it, Dany's arc had nothing to offer than the previous arcs hadn't already told the viewer and probably all people above 25 know. 

Where do you see reality in a dragon Queen and a weirdwood tree ruling over Westeros? :lmao::lmao: Suggesting that the solution is an extra terrestrial power that wargs into people and animals? :lmao:

They are both the perfect example that this story even surpasses Disney's imagination. 

I quit. There is so much realism in this story that apparently I can't handle it. 

Just now, Kajjo said:

Wasn't hat much for Jon, who lost quite a lot.

Sansa had ambitions for being The Queen, not only Queen in the North.

The Unsullied have gained almost nothing. Hopefully, they will use their freedom wisely. I doubt it.

Jon ended up north of the Wall where he admittedly wanted to be (reunited with the pet that he abandoned after it almost died for him).

Sansa got her crown, because bitchy mean girls deserve happiness.

Arya got the adventure she dreamed of.

Unsullied went to Naath to serve a good purpose (Im guessing they will protect the Naathi as Missandei and Grey Worm wanted).

Tyrion got his wish as being Hand.

Samwell -//- maester.

Davos, Bronn and Gendry climbed the ladder.

Brienne and Pod got knighted and became a Kingsguard like they wanted.

48 minutes ago, Vanadis said:

I think we were mislead into thinking the show was telling her story alongside others' stories, when in truth she was a plot device the whole time.

That's an interesting point. I've never thought about it this way because I've always seen the Stark children (Jon, Sansa, Arya, Bran) as the main plot, probably because they all (+ Ned and Cat) are POV characters in the book, while Dany was more of a side story (and Dany being a continent away from the rest of characters doesn't help to change this opinion) to them. But yeah, I can see that a lot of people thought that Dany is the central character.

47 minutes ago, Targaryen Peas said:

I also think that Dany represents Fantasy. And her death is a way of saying that we need to get rid of the relics of the past, fantasy(dragons/heroic savior etc) to build this new world.

A good point. I agree with you. And excluding Bran The Tree, almost all the supernatural ( = fantastic) things in the story disappeared before Dany's death. The NK and the undead were destroyed, two of the dragons died, Berric and his countless resurrections died, Gregor died, Arya got away from Faceless Men and their face things, Mel died and so did her magic. Only Drogon remains and he disappeared.

43 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

(3) the path to hell is paved by good intentions.

Yep.

34 minutes ago, Sigella said:

I like to think its that one bad deed doesn't undo the good ones you did before just like one good deed doesn't undo the bad.

That said I strongly disagree with this ending being "bittersweet". Like, it was sweet for everyone but Dany and the dragons. Wtf. Of corse she turned mad, not like GRRM or D&D was gonna let the greatest person continue being best, subverting expectations and making grey characters outweigh everything and Dany was so white they had to pour tar on it to make it grey. Its clumsy.

I would argue that not everyone of those who survived the story really got a happy ending but the majority of them did, that's true. Sam, Davos, Bronn, Sansa, Podrick, Bran are basically happy endings.

Tyrion is the Hand but he lost his brother, his only true friend. Brienne is Kingsguard but she lost her true love. Arya is out on a trip but I think that the things she went through changed her too much and she can't stay "in civilization" even if she wanted to. Jon lives and reunites with Ghost but he had to kill his love.

1 minute ago, Nerevanin said:

I've never thought about it this way because I've always seen the Stark children (Jon, Sansa, Arya, Bran) as the main plot,

Yes. The Stark children are the focus, the rest is on the side. Of course, Daenerys was a very important side story and I admit that I always rated her story equal to the others.

3 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

A good point. I agree with you. And excluding Bran The Tree, almost all the supernatural ( = fantastic) things in the story disappeared before Dany's death. The NK and the undead were destroyed, two of the dragons died, Berric and his countless resurrections died, Gregor died, Arya got away from Faceless Men and their face things, Mel died and so did her magic. Only Drogon remains and he disappeared.

Agreed. Magic is mostly disappeared, Bran and his powers remain, though.

3 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

Jon lives and reunites with Ghost but he had to kill his love.

And reunites with Tormund. Jon likes the North and I have the hope that he will now join Tormund and not the Night's Watch, The gates close. He once does not follow honor, but tries to find a life for his own. Hopefully, Jon will find a woman in some years...

5 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

That's an interesting point. I've never thought about it this way because I've always seen the Stark children (Jon, Sansa, Arya, Bran) as the main plot, probably because they all (+ Ned and Cat) are POV characters in the book, while Dany was more of a side story (and Dany being a continent away from the rest of characters doesn't help to change this opinion) to them. But yeah, I can see that a lot of people thought that Dany is the central character.

Not necessarily *the* central character, but *a* central character - as opposed to the main boss.

Archived