Jump to content
C.T. Phipps

The Ending Was very conventional

Recommended Posts

On 5/20/2019 at 1:19 PM, C.T. Phipps said:

It feels very much like a more traditional fantasy ending but more that all of the revolutionary social aspects have been removed.

Well, I hate it when people want to turn a phantasy story into modern-world politics. I am happy it does not cater to all the social justice warrior nonsense or misunderstood political correctness, to feminism and racism. It is fine that all that played no role here. I want to watch a phantasy series without indoctrination.

That said, it's a medieval world and it has to stay believable. Yes, it is partly traditional in a very traditional world. That fits.

Sansa is the Queen in the North. A female regent without consort. What more can people expect? Being independent is not xenophobic and the idea of not wanting other to rule you, is very fine with me.

Arya was one of the main roles, from tomboy to assassin to independent adventurer. Not anything traditional about it. They rightfully avoided her being "Lady of Storm's End", because that would have been cliché. 

Jon, the main protagonist, ends up banned to the North, hopefully finding peace and future there. Bittersweet.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Mostly because I favor real life multiculturalism and hate traditionalism

You realise that without the traditional values that the West grew out of, you would not have the freedom to embrace an ideal like multiculturalism. You also realise multiculturalism is an oxymoron - cultures are always singular.

I think you don't like GoTs because it used the character of Dany to make a point contrary to your views. The forced destruction of traditional values is unstable - and as Jon said, what if other people have a different idea (paraphrasing). Dany's only answer was they don't get to choose - which strangely enough reminds me of these ideas of censoring hate speech and what have you on the interwebs. We, the progressive idealists know what is best and everyone else must bend the knee!

I think Dany's character is cutting close to the bone for some (even in D&Ds retarded telling of the tale). I think she was always deliberately designed that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As any Marxist could tell you, a society's superstructure is shaped by its base. Unless you're overhauling the system of production, your ability to change the political structure is limited.

Honestly, your best shot at social change in-setting would have been the High Sparrow turning the place into a theocracy. Or, failing that, the Night King putting everyone out of their misery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

As any Marxist could tell you, a society's superstructure is shaped by its base. Unless you're overhauling the system of production, your ability to change the political structure is limited.

Which is exactly what globalism and 'multiculturalism' is trying to do to the West - change the method of production by either offshoring labor or importing cheaper labor, though I digress - Dany did try to change the base level of production in Essos by freeing slaves, she is kind of a medieval Marxist. I don't think it is a mistake that GRRM showed this and showed that to destroy slavery, she also had to destroy tradition.

5 minutes ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

Honestly, your best shot at social change in-setting would have been the High Sparrow turning the place into a theocracy. Or, failing that, the Night King putting everyone out of their misery.

Yea, two of the characters I was most behind :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I am glad that the show did not cater to your subjective political views. Turns out that it is actually a fantasy story and not a reflection of modern day leftist ideologies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Knugen said:

But do we even know when Bran will die? Last 3ER was alive for thousands of years no? 

 

11 hours ago, Nakraal said:

Because Bloodraven's body was transfixed to the trees.

 

Bloodraven is 125 years old. The Weirwood tree prolongued his life. They sort of fused together but he is very weak and has little time left (sleeps a lot).

 

The Hive Mind that is the 3EyedRaven has lasted thousands of years. But it needs a vessel (body) probably only greenseers can be that vessel.

 

So no. Bran wont live a thousand years. His life span will be normal. But he could try to pass his "mind" to another body.

Edited by Ser Yorick Ampersand
missing letters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ending was very copycat! Worm Emperor with seer abilities takes the throne for a thousand years, keeping everybody in check.

 

Forget the wheel, remember the ladder. Usually as they said chaos creates opportunity. Some warlord or some low born can rise to power! Usually after that they turn the screws very tight and the social structure becomes very rigid, worse than before. Mandatory hostages in KingsLanding (capital) from all the major lord's families (heirs).

 

This wishy washy ending does not even manage that, no wheel, no ladder, no significant or interesting change at all.

Magically disappearing threats and conflicts. Economic problems, population problems, fuck and forget them all. But again subversion and flipfloping with the asolutely no to winterfell  but yes to KL.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ummester said:

You realise that without the traditional values that the West grew out of, you would not have the freedom to embrace an ideal like multiculturalism. You also realise multiculturalism is an oxymoron - cultures are always singular.

You realize those values that the West is most valuable for are a creation of multiculturalism right? The benefits of the West are from its international and melting pot nature.

9 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:
 

Which is exactly what globalism and 'multiculturalism' is trying to do to the West - change the method of production by either offshoring labor or importing cheaper labor, though I digress - Dany did try to change the base level of production in Essos by freeing slaves, she is kind of a medieval Marxist. I don't think it is a mistake that GRRM showed this and showed that to destroy slavery, she also had to destroy tradition.

Marxists enslave people, anti-authoritarians free slaves. Mind you, every single traitor of the slave-holding Confederacy should have been hung as they're the South's Nazis.

The shame of my family.

Edited by C.T. Phipps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 2:19 PM, C.T. Phipps said:

* White Male King

So what? If non-whites want to see a non-white king in fantasy, then let them write their own books. White Martin writes normal fantasy with normal white kings ;)
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ilissa said:
So what? If non-whites want to see a non-white king in fantasy, then let them write their own books. White Martin writes normal fantasy with normal white kings ;)
 

Because it's boring versus all the alternatives?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Because it's boring versus all the alternatives? 

 

It is not boring, it is natural.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 7:21 PM, Jaime the Goldenhand said:

This story didn't have anything interesting to say about medieval politics.

I'm not sure you're completely right, but I agree it was not the point of the story — at all.

What do you think Martin is trying to say, though? There are messages with meaning here, but you have to think about them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's ironic that this was supposed to be more shocking and real in its ending compared to LOTR but it ended up being more cookie cutter lol. The evil ones died, the good ones almost all survived. Not only that, they get to live the perfect life, besides maybe Jon. So much for Brans tax policy eh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, White Walker King said:

Look, I don't like bashing SJWs too much, but reducing Bran to his gender and skin colour is exactly the kind of thing that makes me dislike the SJW ideology. Apparently it doesn't matter how strange and unusual someone is, nothing can save them from being simplified to those 2 superficial characteristics.

Thanks you, I personally can't stand this kind of thinking either. It's basically just a reverse form of racism.

Edited by sifth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, sifth said:

Thanks you, I personally can't stand this kind of thinking either. It's basically just a reverse form of racism.

You can't be racist against orcs. You can't be racist against fictional characters.

You can only comment on bad storytelling.

Basically, Bran was a poor choice in my view and it was a cheap, safe, and boring ending to the series about challenging the assumptions of Medieval politics. If it wasn't about that, it could have been and I felt that was a better ending. You can disagree if you want but it's a matter over a story and its presentation.

Edit:

I also felt this was interesting as well.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/game-thrones-season-8-finale-bran-daenerys-cersei-jon-snow-zizek-revolution-a8923371.html?fbclid=IwAR1DK2ybDCFr53AH-0QYev851k4onURMT7p098dhzuFqpWmx5o8GrxoCXm4

Edited by C.T. Phipps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2019 at 8:19 AM, C.T. Phipps said:

The Ending of Game of Thrones and how it was VERY conventional

* White Male King

Horrible, I fucking cried when it happened. My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I'm so distressed right now I don't know what to do. I didn't mean to do that to my mom but I'm literally in shock from the results that night. I feel like I'm going to explode. Why the fucking fuck didn't Dany become queen? This can't be happening. I'm having a fucking breakdown. I don't want to believe the world is so corrupt. I want a future to believe in. I wanted a strong woman to become queen to fix that broken kingdom. I cannot fucking deal with this right now. It wasn't supposed to be like this, I thought she was the fan favourite???? This is so fucked.

Edited by Selere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

You can't be racist against orcs. You can't be racist against fictional characters.

You can only comment on bad storytelling.

Basically, Bran was a poor choice in my view and it was a cheap, safe, and boring ending to the series about challenging the assumptions of Medieval politics. If it wasn't about that, it could have been and I felt that was a better ending. You can disagree if you want but it's a matter over a story and its presentation.

Edit:

I also felt this was interesting as well.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/game-thrones-season-8-finale-bran-daenerys-cersei-jon-snow-zizek-revolution-a8923371.html?fbclid=IwAR1DK2ybDCFr53AH-0QYev851k4onURMT7p098dhzuFqpWmx5o8GrxoCXm4

You clearly missed the point. I hate the racist SJW mindset you introduced. That we should not like Bran simply because he is a white male.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sifth said:

You clearly missed the point. I hate the racist SJW mindset you introduced. That we should not like Bran simply because he is a white male.

That's not what op was saying at all. The problem is not Bran per se, but media as a whole. It can't be denied that a disproportionate amount of fantasy features white male heroes. So just like any cliche, having yet another one is just... yawn... and it reinforces existing and unfortunate stereotypes.

If D&D or Martin wanted this series to embody Trumpian themes, as opposed to sJew PrOPagAndA, that's fine. But people have a right to criticise that. Of course, I don't think it was deliberate at all. D&D just didn't think about the message they were conveying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 1:19 PM, C.T. Phipps said:

White Male King

Why did you feel the need to note that he is white and male?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×