The Ending Was very conventional

C.T. Phipps

On 6/26/2019 at 2:23 PM, Mystical said:

The individual gets swallowed up by the collective. That's how hive-minds work. Bran got absorbed into a collective of hundreds/thousands of 'personalities, both human and Children of the Forest. Bran as an individual ceased to exist. He can remember his life as an abstract but it doesn't feel like his life anymore because he has the memories of so many. They couldn't have made that clearer unless one were to miss the 100 'I'm not Bran Stark anymore.' lines that we have heard since S7. Bran only exists as a body and memory separate from each other. It's Brandon Stark's body but not his mind. His mind was taken over by the 3ER entity.

Not exactly true. Isaac has mentioned that Bran exists there and the Bran parts of his brain activate when he’s around friends and family.

Its still Bran’s consciousness though. It’s like the difference between Cat and LS. LS is Cat but less. TER! Bran is Bran but more.

2 hours ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Bran does receive ruling advice though. His first chapter is a lesson from Ned Stark on death, justice and mercy. 

And Book 2 Bran rules Winterfell with Maester Luwin advising him. 

I think King Bran the Broken would’ve been more obvious if the 5 year timeskip happened or the characters aged as fast as he wanted them too.

all the Stark boys got the first lesson, Jon actually had to apply it. And the Maester Luwin scenes consisted of him denying all the magical stuff and Bran hanging out with Meera and Jojen. Not saying that this isn't useless, its just...not convincing preparation. 

5 hours ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Not exactly true. Isaac has mentioned that Bran exists there and the Bran parts of his brain activate when he’s around friends and family.

Its still Bran’s consciousness though. It’s like the difference between Cat and LS. LS is Cat but less. TER! Bran is Bran but more.

I don't care what an actor says. I go by what's on screen. And on screen it's been said over and over that he isn't Bran anymore. He's said he remembers what it was like to be Bran but he's completely detached from it because he's not Bran anymore. Hence hive-mind.

Isaac has no idea what the 3ER actually is because the show doesn't. And we know D&D don't tell their actors shit, just ask the guy who played Stannis. Or ask Sophie about the BoB/Vale Knights thing. Someone on this forum once posted an interview with Isaac, from before the Season started, where he contradicts himself as to the 3ER and what he is and what his powers are. And that's in the same damn interview, so I don't give a damn about what the actors say.

On 6/27/2019 at 7:22 AM, Rose of Red Lake said:

Bran was Wart from The Once and Future King all along. Even though he gets injured, goes on a magical mushroom trip, receives no ruling advice, he's no longer human, he still becomes king by "magical destiny." I find this confusing and trollish more than sensical and surprising.

Yes, he was indeed Wart all along. The double-bluff worked, enough so that  Martin still surprised a great many even though the setup was so clear -- at least before the fall.  

Certainly he received advice about ruling. Who better a teacher of rulership than Bloodraven, Hand of the King and Defender of the Realm? 

The wheelchair having come from the design of a king whose reign was beyond living memory was the show's way of showing that Bran had the history and background needed for just rule. 

Of course a hundred thousand million righteous replies will vehemently and vociferously deny any such artifice however reasonable. It's like Martin has so recently said: the internet is toxic.

47 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Certainly he received advice about ruling. Who better a teacher of rulership than Bloodraven, Hand of the King and Defender of the Realm

I may have forgotten. What lessons from Bloodraven about ruling a kingdom? 

If Bran was to be king why did they cut him out of S5?

On 6/30/2019 at 3:42 AM, CrypticWeirwood said:

The wheelchair having come from the design of a king whose reign was beyond living memory was the show's way of showing that Bran had the history and background needed for just rule. 

Of course a hundred thousand million righteous replies will vehemently and vociferously deny any such artifice however reasonable. It's like Martin has so recently said: the internet is toxic.

What do memories have to do with whether Bran might justly rule or not? So what if he knows stories? What about the story told on the show makes you think Bran will be a good ruler? The guy who schemed his way into power thanks to his god-like status and who then peaced out of the first ever council meeting doing nothing of importance? Just rule, lmao.

What does the internet have to do with it? Martin hasn't written his story yet, and he never will, so all the internet is discussing is what's happened on the show. Because that's all they can discuss. And those who disagree with King Bran as the endgame have valid reasons for why that is a terrible endgame. FOR THE SHOW.

LS has nothing to do with it, she wasn't in the show. Bloodraven wasn't in the show. Or did they ever name drop 'old guy in tree'? Because I don't think they did. This is the show forum so why insist on making points with book material that was never in the show? The only thing you can use to discuss the plot on the show is the show, especially once it's way past the books. And we have show-Bran's word on his status that seems to be ignored by some. We have seen him actively involved using his powers to ensure a certain outcome, that's called scheming. And the outcome he schemed for was to become King. And then chose a baffling council while he couldn't bother attend for more than 10 seconds. He chose a Hand, who seems to be the actual ruler due to 3ER's peacing out, that has actively brought about destruction in Westeros and killed a million or so. A sellsword who extorted his way into office. A NW deserter, oath and vow breaker as Maester. A former criminal as Master of ships. Do I need to go on? King Bran and his council is a disaster.

On 6/9/2019 at 12:39 AM, Nightwish said:

John’s character is so badly written. I don’t even know where to start but now that some time has passed after the end you can see his character dragging so much after his resurrection. 

Instead of becoming a man of his own mind he is constantly manipulated by others. A second wheel. Like his usefulness as a character is only to serve his sisters, the men in the North and much later Tyrion. He is emptied of true narrative and meaningful dialogues. Fails to understand the world around him, acts cowardly assasinating a woman who trusts him without speaking  his mind against her actions, and then happily leaves for the wall to live as a monk the rest of his life, actually thanking the people that used him for their own means. What a pathetic ending for a supposed hero or the prince who was promised. Led so many people to their deaths with stupid decisions and then goes to live free in total ignorance. 

This is not about Jon but for the writing of Jon who turns from a promised prince to an ignorant fool with minus understanding of the world around him. 

The writers made it so you can’t  really approach any character without feeling disgusted by what they become and ending up bashing them. 

i agree with this so much. i wanted to see him act and be a king, he always being manipulated by others - but when he apologised to bran at the end, i was in despair - i just did not see why he had to do that at all - talk about self flaggelation! 

On 6/24/2019 at 7:18 PM, CrypticWeirwood said:

I’m pretty sure that the word you were looking for there is bathetic, not pathetic. Pathos it had in plenty. It was its bathos that you so lament.

Pathetic works just fine with how I used it, but thanks for the condescending remark.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2019 at 4:18 AM, Mystical said:

What do memories have to do with whether Bran might justly rule or not? So what if he knows stories? What about the story told on the show makes you think Bran will be a good ruler? The guy who schemed his way into power thanks to his god-like status and who then peaced out of the first ever council meeting doing nothing of importance? Just rule, lmao.

What does the internet have to do with it? Martin hasn't written his story yet, and he never will, so all the internet is discussing is what's happened on the show. Because that's all they can discuss. And those who disagree with King Bran as the endgame have valid reasons for why that is a terrible endgame. FOR THE SHOW.

LS has nothing to do with it, she wasn't in the show. Bloodraven wasn't in the show. Or did they ever name drop 'old guy in tree'? Because I don't think they did. This is the show forum so why insist on making points with book material that was never in the show? The only thing you can use to discuss the plot on the show is the show, especially once it's way past the books. And we have show-Bran's word on his status that seems to be ignored by some. We have seen him actively involved using his powers to ensure a certain outcome, that's called scheming. And the outcome he schemed for was to become King. And then chose a baffling council while he couldn't bother attend for more than 10 seconds. He chose a Hand, who seems to be the actual ruler due to 3ER's peacing out, that has actively brought about destruction in Westeros and killed a million or so. A sellsword who extorted his way into office. A NW deserter, oath and vow breaker as Maester. A former criminal as Master of ships. Do I need to go on? King Bran and his council is a disaster.

I think that’s actually the point. Bran’s Council is made up of outcasts. 

Sans Bron, it is the meek who inherit the earth.

On 6/29/2019 at 7:31 PM, Rose of Red Lake said:

I may have forgotten. What lessons from Bloodraven about ruling a kingdom? 

If Bran was to be king why did they cut him out of S5?

Because they weren’t interested in Bran Stark. I’m sure they felt developing was useless if they were going to fuse him with the world’s memory so we’re kinda supposed to go off faith that he learned everything he needed to about ruling from there. 

It’s even why Tyrion says that Bran knowing the history of the world will make him a good ruler. 

It’s the smart, scholarly types that should rule like Bran, Tyrion and Sam not the macho-warriors like Jon Snow and Robert Baratheon.

Archived