Jump to content
C.T. Phipps

The Ending Was very conventional

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

The Ending of Game of Thrones and how it was VERY conventional

http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2019/05/what-did-i-think-of-game-of-thrones.html

Short version:

* White Male King

* The Wheel Unbroken

* The foreigners all magically up and leave versus integrate

* Sansa establishes a xenophobic kingdom

* Brienne's ending is to uphold the traditionalist system

It feels very much like a more traditional fantasy ending but more that all of the revolutionary social aspects have been removed.

What do you think?

Edited by C.T. Phipps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

The Ending of Game of Thrones and how it was VERY conventional

http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2019/05/what-did-i-think-of-game-of-thrones.html

Short version:

* White Male King

* The Wheel Unbroken

* The foreigners all magically up and leave versus integrate

* Sansa establishes a xenophobic kingdom

* Brienne's ending is to uphold the traditionalist system

It feels very much like a more traditional fantasy ending but more that all of the revolutionary social aspects have been removed.

What do you think?

I don’t think it was ever intended to be revolutionary, really. Sure there are some aspects that would be unusual for any society of that type (like a female knight), but GRRM has mentioned many times that aside from the fantasy elements, it’s heavily based on historical events. 

We want it to be revolutionary because they’ve been building it up for years to end that way.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

The Ending of Game of Thrones and how it was VERY conventional

http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2019/05/what-did-i-think-of-game-of-thrones.html

Short version:

* White Male King

* The Wheel Unbroken

* The foreigners all magically up and leave versus integrate

* Sansa establishes a xenophobic kingdom

* Brienne's ending is to uphold the traditionalist system

It feels very much like a more traditional fantasy ending but more that all of the revolutionary social aspects have been removed.

What do you think?

1, White male King except he was chosen, and is a cripple. Otherwise, yeah, highborn white male.

2. Wheel is cracked? Instead of Kings family line being forever and their children automatically ruling they will have a kingsmoot to elect a new one, so very different.

3. True

4. Also sorta true although I hate that the north gets this designation alone, Westeros as a whole should have it. After all King Bob and all his council were scared of the foreign invaders, Cersei preached to the people about the foreigners as did the Tarlys' right before they got toasted.

5. Sorta true except she is first female Kings Guard and appears to be Lord Commander as well (I am not counting Renly's 5 days as sort of king).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the voting system lasts long. brans doomed cause he cant reproduce anyway, once he's popped it the next house to take charge will be bringing it back to my kids are heirs and then were back to warring, if not even whilst bran is in charge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Completely agree. This ending achieved nothing, didn't challenge anything. It was a complete cookie cutter ending that didn't bring any sense of closure to any particular part of the story. 

1. So it was all about choosing the RIGHT king. Wow, what a fucking waste of 8 seasons. Bran is a good king because he is impotent and has a good story...wtf...most of the common people would never even believe his story if they heard it. He's going to be a good leader because he fatalistically accepts everything that happens around him. How will he negotiate with Winterfell given that he is a Stark? Won't this bother any of the other lords?

2. There is now an extra wheel. The North

3. Foreigners go back to foreign land or just disappear. They had no agency or purpose other than to FOLLOW DANY. It was the equivalent of the Army of the Dead all collapsing after NK died. 

4. Sansa just leaves the Seven kingdoms with no consequences at all. I guess no one else really GETS the North you know...

5. Brienne commits the noble lie, protecting the common folk and future King's Guard from the terrifying truth that is Jamie's botched story line. He sure did protect his queen from all those falling rocks. 

This story didn't have anything interesting to say about medieval politics. It just made us familiar with a bunch of characters and then put them in all the positions of power so that we would be happy about it. Barely any of it made any logical sense and Westeros is no better or worse than when we started. All the political intrigue played itself out until there was none left. We are left with the impression that none of the lords of Westeros have any vested interest in how their country is run. They blindly accept the new king. I suppose Westeros is run by people like D&D who just don't give a fuck. This is a non-ending, with no real change from the beginning.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, dbunting said:

1, White male King except he was chosen, and is a cripple. Otherwise, yeah, highborn white male.

2. Wheel is cracked? Instead of Kings family line being forever and their children automatically ruling they will have a kingsmoot to elect a new one, so very different.

3. True

4. Also sorta true although I hate that the north gets this designation alone, Westeros as a whole should have it. After all King Bob and all his council were scared of the foreign invaders, Cersei preached to the people about the foreigners as did the Tarlys' right before they got toasted.

5. Sorta true except she is first female Kings Guard and appears to be Lord Commander as well (I am not counting Renly's 5 days as sort of king).

But do we even know when Bran will die? Last 3ER was alive for thousands of years no? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Knugen said:

But do we even know when Bran will die? Last 3ER was alive for thousands of years no? 

Not sure what that has to do with his blood line and automatic succession? That's what that question was about as far as I know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look, I don't like bashing SJWs too much, but reducing Bran to his gender and skin colour is exactly the kind of thing that makes me dislike the SJW ideology. Apparently it doesn't matter how strange and unusual someone is, nothing can save them from being simplified to those 2 superficial characteristics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The convention of the ending is down to point of view. In some ways it’s possible to argue that it was an unconventional fantasy ending.

Multiple Prophecies which were red herrings

Bran is potentially the end point of a grand conspiracy

Hidden heir to the throne doesn’t get the throne (x2)

abrupt ending of the nights king (assuming he appears in the books)

No one obvious hero

The wheel is broken, that wheel was the iron throne and what it represented. 

I am sure there are more

 

Edited by Praecautus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah the ending could have led to a different type of society being formed at the end. 

But please stop trying to crowbar modern day politics into everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Praecautus said:

The convention of the ending is down to point of view.....

 

Exactly 

  21 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

 

Short version:

*  Creepy, crippled nerd King instead of the obvious, popular options. 

* Revolution for the people fails

* Victims reject their salvation and war heroes do nothing heroic. 

* Political unity begins to disolve

* Rejected outsider's ending is to uphold the traditionalist system

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If part of the message of the narrative was that breaking the wheel/extreme change is dangerous and de-stabilizing - an ending with no link to the beginning traditions would be nonsensical. Danys entitlement and idealism led her to a place where all tradition must be destroyed for her brave new world to take place. That Westeros experienced minor change after she was slain was fitting.

I think this is very pertinent message in today's world where such rapid and forced change is de-stabilizing social cohesion.

Edited by ummester

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

The Ending of Game of Thrones and how it was VERY conventional

http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2019/05/what-did-i-think-of-game-of-thrones.html

Short version:

* White Male King

* The Wheel Unbroken

* The foreigners all magically up and leave versus integrate

* Sansa establishes a xenophobic kingdom

* Brienne's ending is to uphold the traditionalist system

It feels very much like a more traditional fantasy ending but more that all of the revolutionary social aspects have been removed.

What do you think?

What do you have against while males? Why is the Kingdom of the North xenophobic? Why does GoT need to have liberal revolutionary political themes to be a good story?

Edited by Panos Targaryen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, chatty83 said:

I don't think the voting system lasts long. brans doomed cause he cant reproduce anyway, once he's popped it the next house to take charge will be bringing it back to my kids are heirs and then were back to warring, if not even whilst bran is in charge.

Elected monarchs aren't exactly known for their stability as we see with the Holy Roman Empire.

Also, technically the Senate rubber stamping the Emperors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, White Walker King said:

Look, I don't like bashing SJWs too much, but reducing Bran to his gender and skin colour is exactly the kind of thing that makes me dislike the SJW ideology. Apparently it doesn't matter how strange and unusual someone is, nothing can save them from being simplified to those 2 superficial characteristics.

Well it helps I hate Bran and love Daenerys.

But if you'd kindly refer to it as "feminist", "Social revolutionary", or anything that'd be nice,

Social Justice Warrior is a pejorative that doesn't mean anything.

On 5/20/2019 at 7:19 AM, C.T. Phipps said:

What do you have against while males? Why is the Kingdom of the North xenophobic? Why does GoT need to have liberal revolutionary political themes to be a good story?

1. Mostly because I favor real life multiculturalism and hate traditionalism. But I admit to being Daeny biased.

2. Because they abandoned everyone who isn't a First Man and claim their independence for no reason other than they hate everyone who isn't a Nord (Skyrim).

3. Because revolution is a major part of its themes and "it turns out them pesky liberal ideals and how Medieval life sucks was just a misdirect." Hur Hur.

Edited by C.T. Phipps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Knugen said:

But do we even know when Bran will die? Last 3ER was alive for thousands of years no? 

That's what I was thinking. It feels very Leto Atreides doesn't it? So Westeros is essentiality now a police state under the lidless Eye

Edited by Davidlopan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×