Bronn - Highgarden and Master of Coin? Really?

CarlDrogo

6 minutes ago, CarlDrogo said:

I cannot believe they gave Highgarden to Bronn, although the Master of Coin position is even more mind-boggling. I feel trolled by the writers.

Yes, Bronn's arc does not make a lot of sense. One of the bad points for me of the end. But a minor point compared to the great, satisfying and sensible endings of many other arcs.

But yes, Bronn, that is stupid.

Eh. Bronn is a survivor and he's served Tyrion and the Lannister family well over the years. Tyrion promised him Highgarden so that's that. And I did think the point Bronn made about cutthroats being the ones to elevate great houses to greatness had some merit.

That said, a seat on the small council was silly fan service, but the last 45 minutes of this episode had a bunch of that.

Subversion!

2 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Eh. Bronn is a survivor and he's served Tyrion and the Lannister family well over the years. Tyrion promised him Highgarden so that's that. 

I see your point, but for Bran's election, you would have needed a Lord of the Reach. With the Tyrells no more, maybe Sam represented House Tarly (if not, how did he get a vote? I would agree that his oaths should preclude him from a claim on Horn Hill, but hey) and another of the blokes was Lord Hightower. And just maybe Lord Redwine was there, or maybe he wasn't, who tf knows, it doesn't change my argument.

So now that Hightower and maybe Redwine agreed to elect Bran as King of the Six Kingdoms, they (with the blood of House Gardener in their veins) just meekly accept sellswords Bron as their overlord, maybe even giving up their houses' voting rights to the next king? Duhhhhh

I really do not want to re-watch, but is Bron Lord of Highgarden alone, or also Lord of the Reach? If he got Highgarden alone without being superior Lord to other significant noble houses of the Reach, it might just fly, but otherwise you are looking at a long civil war if you apply in-universe rules, customs etc.

But hey, it's written by a bunch of 8 graders!

Just now, Ser Hedge said:

Subversion!

I see your point, but for Bran's election, you would have needed a Lord of the Reach. With the Tyrells no more, maybe Sam represented House Tarly (if not, how did he get a vote? I would agree that his oaths should preclude him from a claim on Horn Hill, but hey) and another of the blokes was Lord Hightower. And just maybe Lord Redwine was there, or maybe he wasn't, who tf knows, it doesn't change my argument.

So now that Hightower and maybe Redwine agreed to elect Bran as King of the Six Kingdoms, they (with the blood of House Gardener in their veins) just meekly accept sellswords Bron as their overlord, maybe even giving up their houses' voting rights to the next king? Duhhhhh

I really do not want to re-watch, but is Bron Lord of Highgarden alone, or also Lord of the Reach? If he got Highgarden alone without being superior Lord to other significant noble houses of the Reach, it might just fly, but otherwise you are looking at a long civil war if you apply in-universe rules, customs etc.

But hey, it's written by a bunch of 8 graders!

Yeah, there isn't much to work with, I'll admit. 

19 minutes ago, David Selig said:

We shouldn't fret it anyway, there are no people left in the whole of the Reach anyway, at least according to Davos, so I guess Bronn is the lord of a wasteland.

:lmao:Yeah, what happened to them? Tarly and Jamie Lannister quietly committed genocide offscreen in S7 when they fought the Tyrells? Or they were all packed into Baelor's Sept when Cersei torched it?

I can't believe this! These people have no true love of Martin's work at all. How could they do this? They gave the most ancient and probably the most important seat of Westeros + The Master of coins title to Bronn, a fucking sellword.

Not that everthing else was acceptable. How could they make it such a parody? Since season 4 we knew that the quality was dropping fast but this is unreal. UNBELIEVABLE. They DEFILED  ASOIAF competely. 

It was just like everything else this season, didn't make a lot of sense but it was done because it was a fan favorite/D&D favorite.

"creatively it made sense to us because we wanted it to happen."

1 hour ago, David Selig said:

We shouldn't fret it anyway, there are no people left in the whole of the Reach anyway, at least according to Davos, so I guess Bronn is the lord of a wasteland.

The all respawned after the battle, just like the dothraki did. 

bronn was promised high garden... he’s right about family houses starting with cutthroats... a little bit of fan service, that doesn’t screw up the story, is fine by me! it’s a fantasy show, enjoy it for what it is. yes, i’m a book reader, too (twice). i’ll look at books 6&7 more critically...

It was fun to see Bronn survive it all the way he did....but getting a seat there and then the dialogue in that conversation was just painful.  Master of coin...no...

8 minutes ago, stinky peasant said:

bronn was promised high garden... he’s right about family houses starting with cutthroats... a little bit of fan service, that doesn’t screw up the story, is fine by me! it’s a fantasy show, enjoy it for what it is. yes, i’m a book reader, too (twice). i’ll look at books 6&7 more critically...

Bran+Tyrion can 'give' him Highgarden and the lands directly sworn to it maybe. Lord Paramount of the Reach? Oldtower, Redwine, Peake, Florent et al descended from House Gardener bowing and scraping to him? No way, they will rebel and who's going to send an army to help Tyrion put them down? Well, Bran could warg Nymeria and send her and her pack to fight the Lords of the Reach.

Maybe that's the kind of 'story' Tyrion is looking for.

Archived