Bronn - Highgarden and Master of Coin? Really?

CarlDrogo

Maybe Bran was displeased with Bronn earning High Garden, so he made him Master of Coin to make him even more vulnerable to all the plots that will be going on in King's Landing, knowing that someone will soon assassinate Bronn and it will not look like Bran's fault.

2 minutes ago, robasp2 said:

Coz D&D logic.

D: Why not? I don't see any problem with that.

Other D: Sometimes our intelligence generates gravity.

D: People like Bronn. What can we have him do. 

Other D (shuffles index cards on table, picks out three): Joffrey's crossbow...Highgarden...Master of Coin.

D: Okay, okay. Cersei sends Bronn North to kill Tyrion.

Other D: And Jaime. 

D: The guy he impossibly saved from certain death at great risk to himself from dragon immolation and lake-drowning?

Other D: Yes.

D: Okay, then Bronn teleports North and catches the brothers alone somehow and says, "I have crossbow. Gimme Highgarden/Secretary of Treasury." Then what?

Other D: He leaves.

D: And they don't send guards out to hunt him?

Other D: No. 

D: So he shows up after all the shocking twists and asks our favorite characters who are now in power "Where's my lordship/high office?"

Other D: Yes. And he jokes about cocks and whores or whatever . 

1 hour ago, Ser Hedge said:

Bran+Tyrion can 'give' him Highgarden and the lands directly sworn to it maybe. Lord Paramount of the Reach? Oldtower, Redwine, Peake, Florent et al descended from House Gardener bowing and scraping to him? No way, they will rebel and who's going to send an army to help Tyrion put them down? Well, Bran could warg Nymeria and send her and her pack to fight the Lords of the Reach.

Maybe that's the kind of 'story' Tyrion is looking for.

and the other 6 kingdoms might claim their own independence... and bran might be a horrible king... and sansa might do who knows what up north... maybe the houses of the reach will revolt...  we'll never know.  its fiction.  granted, master of coin is a stretch, but tyrion did promise highgarden, so it's not unreasonble to see bronn being appointed lord paramount of the reach.  i have immense love for GoT/ASOIAF (books & show), but its not real. enjoy the show for what it is :)

Yeah people that threaten others with death get rewarded with a one of the highest positions in the government and ownership of the richest part of the Kingdom. That's how mafia works. 

Let's remember Tyrion holds all the cards he doesn't have to give anything to Bronn he can have him killed. I guess Tyrion just decided he likes Bronn even though he threatened him, not the weirdest of Tyrions decisions. 

1 hour ago, stinky peasant said:

enjoy the show for what it is :)

What it is is crap. It did not have to be though and that's what's really sad.

Yeah it's a story and it started well, but good stories are well told and have a consistency to them. If you're breaking your own rules/norms all the time, the story is much diminished. Say the spells in Harry Potter suddenly do something else in the last book for no reason. Or Groot starts speaking in the next sequel of Guardians of the Galaxy. He just didn't feel like speaking like before.

So why did I watch it then? Like millions of others, I was invested in the outcome, call it a morbid curiosity how much more damage to the characters, the story and logic these incompetent fools could possibly inflict.

So why don't I shut up? Well the thread title is pretty indicative that is rant-y in nature, no? I didn't come to a normal debat-y thread and start unloading on a different aspect of the show than what is being discussed for no reason, did I?

And yeah, Dorne and the Iron Islands not saying, ykw, we're out of here if the North is as well makes 0 sense too. It all completely undermines everything built up in S1-S4.

The second half of the show is a parody of the first. Imagine you went to watch a really good movie and it's great until the interval. After the interval it slowly stops making sense and in the last quarter it is just Monty Python/ Mel Gibbs/Hot Shots/Naked Gun spoofing of the early part of the movie. Hard to just enjoy, right?

2 minutes ago, Ser Hedge said:

What it is is crap. It did not have to be though and that's what's really sad.

Yeah it's a story and it started well, but good stories are well told and have a consistency to them. If you're breaking your own rules/norms all the time, the story is much diminished. Say the spells in Harry Potter suddenly do something else in the last book for no reason. Or Groot starts speaking in the next sequel of Guardians of the Galaxy. He just didn't feel like speaking like before.

So why did I watch it then? Like millions of others, I was invested in the outcome, call it a morbid curiosity how much more damage to the characters, the story and logic these incompetent fools could possibly inflict.

So why don't I shut up? Well the thread title is pretty indicative that is rant-y in nature, no? I didn't come to a normal debat-y thread and start unloading on a different aspect of the show than what is being discussed for no reason, did I?

And yeah, Dorne and the Iron Islands not saying, ykw, we're out of here if the North is as well makes 0 sense too. It all completely undermines everything built up in S1-S4.

The second half of the show is a parody of the first. Imagine you went to watch a really good movie and it's great until the interval. After the interval it slowly stops making sense and in the last quarter it is just Monty Python/ Mel Gibbs/Hot Shots/Naked Gun spoofing of the early part of the movie. Hard to just enjoy, right?

i agree with most of this. once the show ran out of source material, everything about it, IMO, suffered... dialogue, world building, character development, or lack thereof.  the show completely ran out by season 6, but some of the storylines were done by 4... unfortunately for all of us, GRRM hasn't moved the books along very well. 

hbo told the show they can have what they need, but D&D already got their star wars trilogy locked up, and wanted to get GoT done as quickly as possible.  its sucks for the fans.  if seasons 7 and 8 were each 10 episodes, they'd have been much better for it!  so many lose ends could have been tied up... or D&D could've still screwed it up. 

despite some of the nonsense in this last couple of seasons, i'm doing my best to appreciate what the show has been, not what it has become. ser hedge is right, that its "hard to just enjoy", but with no other option, besides not watching, that's all we're left with...  here's hoping the books will be more thorough!

The show killed of a lot of chracters like they were killed of in the books, but failed to introduce new ones like the books did, an even when they introduced new ones, it was only to be killed of shortly after ( see whole Dorne storyline, yikes).

That is all there is to it, and why we have fucking Bronn of the Blackwater being not only Lord of Highgarden and Lord paramount of the Reach, but master of Coin also.

That's why we must suffer the illogical inclusion of Sam as grandmaester in the small council, and why we don' t even get to see a master of whisperers, war and what was the last don' t remember.

Because of lack of characters in general after season 4, or the writers caring at all who is left of which house, and who controls what region. 

The only reason Davos is still alive is so that they don't have a vacant spot for master of ships at the small council I'm sure of that now.

1 minute ago, Sheiraseastar23 said:

The show killed of a lot of chracters like they were killed of in the books, but failed to introduce new ones like the books did, an even when they introduced new ones, it was only to be killed of shortly after ( see whole Dorne storyline, yikes).

Yup. World building was one of the reasons I loved the books so much. Show Westeros seemed to get smaller and smaller. And there was plenty of potential. They could've turned Euron into a mysterious and charismatic psychopath with a magical horn. Could've introduced a boy-claiming-to-be-a-presumed-long-dead Targaryen Prince. A sexy and dangerous princess of Dorne that wasn't a joke, but a player instead. 

Bronn is the real winner in this. He didn't just upjump, he had a rocket jet pack. He doesn't lack for brains, but who knows. Maybe like the wildlings, now that he has a great castle and is one of the richest men in the Six Kingdoms, he'll make an effort to do the best he can. 

If I were Bran, though, I'd watch my back. 

2 hours ago, 420faceless said:

Why have a problem with this?

He repeats the pattern of Littlefinger by coming from nothing into something, and continuously having morals in questions and wants more more more. He also has a liking for brothels like Littlefinger.

Littlefinger was poor but he was an educated nobleman. He could read and count. People just don't understand how little the commoners knew in Medieval times. In shows and movies they are always plucky main characters, but A Song of Ice and Fire was different in making clear that yes, the Middle Ages was run by nobility, and the large conflicts were between nobility. No boy with a Great Destiny coming in from nowhere like every fantasy story ever since Lord of the Rings. The commoners lived in constant fear of the supernatural creatures they thought were lurking behind every tree, and that is how they explained the world.

The noblemen in the negotiations were right to laugh at Samwell's suggestion that "The People" get to vote for a leader. They'd have no idea who to vote for. There were no media with which to learn about the world, they didn't even have a map of their own province, and almost no one ventured more than a few miles away from home in their whole lives. It was this way in Britain in the 19th century, the most advanced country in the world. A sellsword like Bronn wouldn't even be allowed in the same room as a gathering of nobles, and if he was there he wouldn't know what to do.

Archived