The aftermatch of the decision made by D&D

Mordor

The reason they shortened the season is because they’re incapable of any basic plotting where they don’t have source material to adapt directly. They figured that the more episodes there were, the sooner people would realize that the emperor had no clothes. While this way they rocketed to the finish so fast that even when people could see how everything was falling apart they felt compelled to stick around for the finish. Did being rushed cause them to invent the wight hunt? Did it cause them to have Daenerys intentionally burn random civilians before attacking the Red Keep? Did it cause the dragons to be sitting ducks for Euron one episode and invincible the next? Did it cause Jaime to reverse his entire character arc so that he could die with Cersei with no explanation given? No. That was all on their inability to write a coherent story. The more episodes they had, the more exposed they would have been.

6 hours ago, iggymcfly said:

The more episodes they had, the more exposed they would have been.

I agree with you here. I've always wondered why, exactly, GRRM withdrew totally from any participation in the show. Recently he's made a comment or two, hinting that he'd have preferred that the series go on for a year or two longer, but I'd think the showrunners would have needed some support from him as far as the story for that to happen. He was needed very badly, as it was.

On 5/20/2019 at 2:04 PM, CrypticWeirwood said:

The showrunners have stated over and over again that the entire reason they didn't shoot S7 and S8 as ten-episode seasons like the others was to increase the production quality of each episode.

They felt that they should put more work into the show's ending episodes than could have been done if those episodes had been at ten per season.

Do you really want lowered production quality? I don't.

I prefer substance over style.  While i really appreciate and marvel at the production, what I'm really looking for is compelling characters and story telling.  I think the wrong choice was made.

23 hours ago, Brave Ser Robin said:

I prefer substance over style.  While i really appreciate and marvel at the production, what I'm really looking for is compelling characters and story telling.  I think the wrong choice was made.

I know what you mean: the dialogue in E2 and in E6 was much better than in the other episodes this season. Just two characters talking intimately together for ten minutes; who wouldn't want that?

32 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

There is/was a lot of arrogance in the the "creative" minds of D&D&C

Cogman wrote the first two episodes. The first episode was pretty decent, albeit not spectacular. Episode two was fantastic though. D&D unfortunatly wrote the last four. 

13 minutes ago, T and A said:

Cogman wrote the first two episodes. The first episode was pretty decent, albeit not spectacular. Episode two was fantastic though. D&D unfortunatly wrote the last four. 

Im not a fan of Cogman but if you enjoyed it, nice.

Based from the interview, HBO won't do the same mistakes next time. There is no way D&D has power over their bosses. Maybe three years ago, HBO thought D&D were right? I enjoyed S8 for what it is, but one extra season should have been made. 

On 5/20/2019 at 5:55 PM, Ser Gareth said:

They simply aren't capable.  By their own admission they regard themselves as show runners, not writers. 

On 5/20/2019 at 10:07 PM, Ingelheim said:

The problem is...they are good showrunners, not good writers.

Well then, this means they’re also very arrogant. If they said they’re not writers, they should have remained as show runners and hired a team of proper writers for the job. 

8 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

He was the one behind Sansa marrying Ramsay and being ........ also the famous line "you need the bad P - - - y", no, not a fan.

Oh, I didn't knew that :wacko:. But he was also behind Jennys Song...And GRRM praises him so much, and has worked with him on some prequels...hmmm...

On 5/20/2019 at 8:04 PM, CrypticWeirwood said:

The showrunners have stated over and over again that the entire reason they didn't shoot S7 and S8 as ten-episode seasons like the others was to increase the production quality of each episode.

They felt that they should put more work into the show's ending episodes than could have been done if those episodes had been at ten per season.

Do you really want lowered production quality? I don't.

Problem is that they sacrificed story quality in favour of production quality. Sorry, but as much as I like to joke that I'm "watching the show for the dragons"*, CGI does not make up for shitty writing.

* Not exactly a joke though, Drogon and Rhaegal were probably the best written characters in the last couple of seasons, once you start recognizing dragon moods and facial expressions.

I'm listening to the conversation between Jon and Dany before he stabs her, and it is kind of funny, as in Dany stands for D&D with saying that it is not easy to see something that was never seen before, then Jon asks her about other people's opinions on what is good, and Dany/D&D answer they don't get  to choose.

23 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

He was the one behind Sansa marrying Ramsay and being ........ also the famous line "you need the bad P - - - y", no, not a fan.

I thought the showrunners said they made that choice with Sansa?  I know Cogman may have written that episode but I didn't remember that it was his idea? 

4 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I thought the showrunners said they made that choice with Sansa?  I know Cogman may have written that episode but I didn't remember that it was his idea? 

They all collaborated on the idea, yes, he was the one to write it in and defend it. He also wrote the cringy episode the season after where Sansa meets lF in the mole town ruins and describes the ways Ramsay "did" her, then he also wrote the episode this season where The Hound tells her that her heard she was "broken in" and "broken in rough" and her reply was, well, appreciation for it making her the woman she is today. Yeah, Cogman was and is proud of that decision.

11 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

They all collaborated on the idea, yes, he was the one to write it in and defend it. He also wrote the cringy episode the season after where Sansa meets lF in the mole town ruins and describes the ways Ramsay "did" her, then he also wrote the episode this season where The Hound tells her that her heard she was "broken in" and "broken in rough" and her reply was, well, appreciation for it making her the woman she is today. Yeah, Cogman was and is proud of that decision.

Why is it that book fans are so disgussed by Sansas rape scene in the show, yet are completely OK with Jane Pools raping, getting fucked by dogs and getting her vagina licked by Reek before Ramsay rapes her? Just because Sansa is a main character and Jane is not? Ir was also not neccesary to describe those things in the books, yet the author did it on detail. And the describtion in the books is way more disgusting, than what happend to Sansa in the show. And don't come up with the "character developement" arguement, because Jane in the books has no developed character at all. It was just shown to break Theons character. As it was done in the show. 

1 hour ago, T and A said:

Why is it that book fans are so disgussed by Sansas rape scene in the show, yet are completely OK with Jane Pools raping, getting fucked by dogs and getting her vagina licked by Reek before Ramsay rapes her? Just because Sansa is a main character and Jane is not? Ir was also not neccesary to describe those things in the books, yet the author did it on detail. And the describtion in the books is way more disgusting, than what happend to Sansa in the show. And don't come up with the "character developement" arguement, because Jane in the books has no developed character at all. It was just shown to break Theons character. As it was done in the show. 

Mainly because they threw away Sansa's story and made her character a complete dumbass for wanting to marry Ramsay Bolton to "avenge" her family for what his Daddy did to theirs. Now, how does that exactly work out by surrendering your name, reputation, virginity and offer your womb to carry a "BOLTON" heir?

Archived