Destiny of Jon Snow

Kajjo

How do you interpret the last scene of Jon Snow?

He is riding with Tormund and Ghost and a lot of wildlings, the Gates of the Night's Watch closing behind him.  Did Jon Snow once cut his honor and decided to have a life with Tormund and the wildlings as was foreshadowed in the E4 farewell scene Jon/Tormund?

Personally, this is my guess. Jon living with the wildlings, not returning to the Night's Watch. 

By the way, I enjoyed that he was reunited after all with Ghost. 

Just now, Kajjo said:

Jon stays in the Night's Watch or goes living with Tormund and the Wildlings?

I think he stays in the Night's Watch. Jon is about doing whatever duty given to him. Its his duty to accept his punishment. But he will spend time in the True North as much as possible. If he is not lord commander I can see him being a ranger. 

3 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Felt like he was leaving with the Wildlings to me. They made a specific point to show him watch the gate close behind him. 

I took at as showing there are other men in the Night's Watch. Just like they showed 2 men in Black waiting for Jon and then following him when he went to talk to Sansa, Arya and Bran. The Night's Watch has no purpose but its alive and has men. 

1 minute ago, Nictarion said:

Felt like he was leaving with the Wildlings to me. They made a specific point to show him watch the gate close behind him. 

I thought the same thing, he'll be king beyond the wall now, may even meet a nice looking gal, name of Val...but the show was very unclear on whether that was the meaning...he says fuck it, leaves Westeros behind, done with kneeling forever.....or was some other convoluted meaning unclear due to poor direction and writing.

Yeah looked like Wilding life but then why was he sent to he NW...

Some say it was a trick to fool the Unsullied but then why bother with anything lol

To be fair the NW could solve it easily by sending him in a perpetual mission to be the informer north of the Wall so that he is able to live among the wildlings the rest of his life while still upholding his vow to the NW.

Talking to friens before the chapter, it seemed clear to me that wether it was him or not the one to kill Daeneris, he would end in the north with Ghost and Tormund but I thought it would be his choice, not an imposed decission. It makes me feel sad. And it makes me think of plot in The Lord of the Rings. Frodo is the central guy in a group that saves the world from darkness but he gets nothing out of it but sadness, illness and he finally travels into the west -read he dies.

I do not think Jon is leaving the NW. I think he is helping wildlings to settle a new better world, now the others are gone.

I think this was a brilliant ending in how it could be interpreted a number of different ways. 

Even though Jon is reunited with Ghost and other people who clearly respect him and look up to him, I can't help but feel a sense of sadness for him.  Duty is the death of love, indeed.  

12 minutes ago, weirwoodface said:

There was a good omen as they rode north: a sprig of green poking up out of the snow.

Yes, very nice. I liked that, too. A Dream of Spring.

13 minutes ago, weirwoodface said:

He left with the wildlings.

That is my take as well. He left for good. Once dismissing his duty, choosing a life. With his best friend Tormund and Ghost on his side. A nice ending after all. Probably, he will be more happy than as King.

Another possibility I haven't seen mentioned, was he perhaps riding out to retake his vows in front of a weirwood tree? I haven't decided if that's what I believe or if I think he went off to be with the wildlings.

I don't think the Night's Watch as we know it really exists in the same way anymore - sure, they were happy to tell the Unsullied that it would be the same traditional punishment as before, but that was a convenient lie to resolve the whole issue. At this point, the vast majority of "Night's Watch" left are just the wildlings. Even loyal members like Sam have mostly gone back south now that they have the option. Whatever Night's Watch that remains is going to look at lot more like what Stannis (and Ned before him) was planning for the Gift - a loosely organized collection of wildling communities centered on Castle Black but mostly just living as independent vassals of the kingdom of the North. At this point, I'm not sure there's a functional distinction between "King Beyond the Wall" and "Lord Commander of the Night's Watch." The other kingdoms will likely still send criminals up there, but it will be functionally more like sending them into exile in a lawless frozen land rather than to a well-organized penal colony.

I'd like to think he was riding out with the Wildlings to ultimately settle down with them.  Possibly become the new Mance Raydar.  Him becoming King Beyond the Wall and living with the Wildlings is a lot more satisfying to me.  For him to be Lord Commander of the Night's Watch (which I feel like is a useless organization at this time) would not be a satisfying end for me.

There is no purpose to the Night's Watch any longer in the first place.  It serves as a place for those exiled from society - Jon just took it a step further.  He "never" had a real place in the North other than as Ned Stark's bastard and Sansa was power hungry enough that if she felt any threat from the Night's Watch she would have went to war with them.  Sansa is Daenerys without a dragon and with a desire to rule the North rather than the seven kingdoms.  The former "King in the North" would have surely been a threat to that  Recall her saying to Brann she loved her brother but those in the north were not ready to kneel?  What was her final scene?  Sansa is one of the few characters who got what they wanted in the end though her dreams had changed since the beginning.  He was exiled to the Night's Watch, watched those who demanded his exile leaving and accepted exile rather taking his vows again.  Besides what was the Night's Watch protecting against?  

17 minutes ago, Skills said:

I think this was a brilliant ending in how it could be interpreted a number of different ways

Even though Jon is reunited with Ghost and other people who clearly respect him and look up to him, I can't help but feel a sense of sadness for him.  Duty is the death of love, indeed.  

I'd rather see the glass half empty. It's such a badly displayed ending that we can't even tell how it's to be interpreted. 

It's relevant to have an ending with several possible interpretation, when the facts are there and the discussion lies on how it fits the character's storyline. That's the instance with Arya. We know what she does (sailing west), and we know why she does that (after all she's had her lot of suffering and bloodshed), but we don't know what she expects to discover, and whether she'll be back or not.

With Jon, that isn't the case. We don't exactly know what he does, thus we can't interpret his motive, purpose, etc.

11 minutes ago, RFL said:

There is no purpose to the Night's Watch any longer in the first place.  It serves as a place for those exiled from society - Jon just took it a step further.  He "never" had a real place in the North other than as Ned Stark's bastard and Sansa was power hungry enough that if she felt any threat from the Night's Watch she would have went to war with them.  Sansa is Daenerys without a dragon and with a desire to rule the North rather than the seven kingdoms.  The former "King in the North" would have surely been a threat to that  Recall her saying to Brann she loved her brother but those in the north were not ready to kneel?  What was her final scene?  Sansa is one of the few characters who got what they wanted in the end though her dreams had changed since the beginning.  He was exiled to the Night's Watch, watched those who demanded his exile leaving and accepted exile rather taking his vows again.  Besides what was the Night's Watch protecting against?  

It's a punishment. So it doesn't matter if the Night's Watch has a noble purpose. Its place for broken man and bastards. 

S6 he was tired of fighting battles.  S8E4 he wished to go north with Tormund.  He never wanted to be LC of NW, nor a King.  My dude just wants to chill with the free folk, hardly illegal since they helped in the last two WF battles. Bran gets to be "fair and just", giving GW a consolation prize, and giving Jon an out. He's about nonconformity and basic human desire in a world where everyone must fulfill some great destiny, especially one if his origin.

(I do think he'll fulfill the ASOIAF prophecy vs the dead in the books.)

Archived