I really like what Drogon did but...

It really makes no sense that Drogon would have the intelligence of understanding and sympathizing with why Jon killed his mom and recognizing the throne as the real enemy- BUT was the weapon of mass destruction slaughtering the innocents. It just does click mentally very cleanly. 

We have no idea how smart they are. We have no reason to believe they understand cause and effect the way we do, or that they have any level of deductive reasoning.

So the dragon seems to "feel" that Dany is dead and comes to investigate. It sees her lying there dead with a piece of metal sticking out of her. There is a large pointy metal object there as well. Her mate is also there.

While an intelligent creature could conclude that Jon killed her, but a less intelligent creature has no way to draw that conclusion. Drogon may have simply concluded that "pointy metal = bad" and acted accordingly.

yeah, he should have killed Jon. I don't really care if Jon lives or not but it would make much more sense if Drogon killed him. I know, we know that dragons are intelligent but I don't buy that they are that intelligent.

It makes zero sense. Why would a dragon care about the iron throne? How would he/she/it deduce that this is what his "mother" had died over.

The safe assumption for that dragon would have been that Jon did it, and burn him alive. Or, if they really wanted to go heavy handed that Jon's Targ blood helps him control dragons, have Jon look at the throne for a long time or something to give a visual clue to the dragon that it was the throne's fault... That would have made some sense at least.

Instead we got another "cool shot" that means nothing.

1 minute ago, btfu806 said:

It makes zero sense. Why would a dragon care about the iron throne? How would he/she/it deduce that this is what his "mother" had died over.

The safe assumption for that dragon would have been that Jon did it, and burn him alive. Or, if they really wanted to go heavy handed that Jon's Targ blood helps him control dragons, have Jon look at the throne for a long time or something to give a visual clue to the dragon that it was the throne's fault... That would have made some sense at least.

Instead we got another "cool shot" that means nothing.

Thats what I'm saying, either A. They aren't so smart and he would maul Jon or B. They are extremely intelligent, which has been shown at times, and they understood the concept of the throne is what really killed his mom in which case he probably wouldn't have complied with the slaughter the previous episode. 

17 minutes ago, kevinbgwrites said:

Thats what I'm saying, either A. They aren't so smart and he would maul Jon or B. They are extremely intelligent, which has been shown at times, and they understood the concept of the throne is what really killed his mom in which case he probably wouldn't have complied with the slaughter the previous episode. 

Or C, they're so dumb that it sees the pointy metal in Dany and destroys the rest of the pointy metal in the room.

2 minutes ago, kevinbgwrites said:

If B is true than poor Drogon and his brothers are the abused children of a manipulative mother forced to fight like Pokémon. 

11 minutes ago, Damon_Tor said:

Or C, they're so dumb that it sees the point metal in Dany and destroys the rest of the pointy metal in the room.

Jon has a pointing thing around his waist

Just now, btfu806 said:

Jon has a pointing thing around his waist

We're assuming they're really dumb, remember? Jon's sword is in his scabbard, the dragon can't see any of the steel, it's just a weird leather-covered stick.

I assume Dragons are intelligent but operate on a bit different level of intelligence than humans. They are magical beings right? Their understanding of time/space cause/effect might be different. I guess he didn't burn Jon, because Jon is a Targaryen, so almost kind of like "family". Iron Throne is a symbol of power, which Dany was fixated towards and the real reason she went mad in the end - fixation of power. So Drogon destroyed the symbol of power.

24 minutes ago, Damon_Tor said:

We're assuming they're really dumb, remember? Jon's sword is in his scabbard, the dragon can't see any of the steel, it's just a weird leather-covered stick.

It's still a pointy shape. I assume they don't know what steel is they just know the shape, based on them being dumb.

1 minute ago, Ghosteline said:

I guess he didn't burn Jon, because Jon is a Targaryen, so almost kind of like "family". 

If the books applies to the show, and according to this it does;

Then Dragons are easily capable of killing other Targaryens or even other dragon rider Targaryens.

12 minutes ago, Erkan12 said:

If the books applies to the show, and according to this it does;

Then Dragons are easily capable of killing other Targaryens or even other dragon rider Targaryens.

Doesn't mean that Drogon was going to kill Jon. Drogon seemed to "take to" Jon from the beginning.

I think that we are supposed to believe that Drogon was intelligent enough to pick up on the fact that the point chair was the object that his mistress had been lusting after all this time, and that he directed his rage and grief in that direction instead of at Jon. He's a dragon. He sees the bigger picture. And as someone else said, it's symbolic.

1 minute ago, weirwoodface said:

Doesn't mean that Drogon was going to kill Jon. Drogon seemed to "take to" Jon from the beginning.

When did I say Drogon was going to kill Jon? :dunno:

Maybe Dany didn't die. Maybe she called on Drogon and got him to destroy the throne for her. In her (show) vision, she travels north path the wall after being in the throne room, and then she meet her family. As much as she has been obsessed with conquering, she has also been obsessed with destiny. If she remembered her vision in the moment Jon stabbed her, she might fake her death in order to be able to leave without a trace and start a humble life with a new family somewhere far away.

I actually think dragons are smart enough to understand what Drogon seems to have understood in that scene. There have been signs in the show that dragons are much more intelligent than people give them credit:

• when Tyrion went below the Great Pyramid in Meereen to release Rhaegal and Viserion, he told them the story of how he wanted a dragon as a kid. Not only the dragon followed Tyrion with his eyes as he was speaking, he allowed Tyrion to touch him and the other one turned the collar to release him too. This shows that Rhaegal and Viserion can understand human speech enough to assess the Imp's intentions.
  • when Daenerys held her speech to the soldiers captured during the loot train attack, Drogon roared when he saw that nobody kneeled. This also shows that dragons have some understanding of human speech and can comprehend human actions to some extent.
  • when Jorah died, Drogon sat next  to Daenerys. This shows that Drogon understood that someone close to her died and decided to comfort her the only way he could.

I am not saying they are as smart as humans, but I think Drogon indeed has the intellectual capacity to understand that the Iron Throne was the "moral author" of her death. In our real mythology, dragons are very intelligent and some of them can even speak. So I don't think it is such a stretch to imagine that GoT dragons have the capacity to comprehend human actions.

Assuming Drogon is just a dumb animal he somehow sensed her mental connection to him suddenly disapeared, so he popped in for a looksie aaaaand shit she's dead. Being cradled by her upset and crying mate gave  Drogon no reason to suspect her mate Jon did it, unless maybe Jon ran away in a panic or something.  Being pissed off as he was the closest thing to vent his anger on was the throne. But that dosen't explain why he scooped up her corpse and flew off with it.  A dumb animal has no use for a corpse unless he planned to eat it later.

So assuming he's highly intelligent and knew the real deal,  he understood why Jon killed his momma and agreed with it.  Which is.. odd.   Maybe he didn't think Jon would really kill her?  He let Jon pass by earlier without much fuss.  And if he knew Jon killed her and let Jon live thats also odd.   Then taking her body to...  not eat it?  Was he smart enough to know the red god's followers could potentionally rez her?   I tend to doubt it.  

End of the day I guess its left up to the viewers to fill in the shitty writing blanks. 

Archived