So everyone besides jon and dany get a happy ending even after everything they did!? SERIOUSLY!

Sansa helped tip dany over the edge and caused so much trouble and yet she is made queen of the north and given credit for northern independence? Tyrion gets away with everything he did (yes most of it was from stupidity). Arya's ending made some sense since she is just going out on her own however the show runners clearly played favorites with sansa and tyrion. Bran becomes king and everything is perfect? Hey what about the murdering/rapists horde that is the dothraki? And to me it seemed like Bran is pulling a robert in some ways. He will ignore the kingdom while he wargs. Gotta love what the show runners did. They made the last season sad and destroyed dany's character and yet  then they go full disney ending for the survivors? Well except for jon. I just don't understand what they were trying to do and am VERY happy it was over.

PS. and drogon lets jon go and burns the iron throne? Oh well played.

10 minutes ago, Tygett Lannister said:

Greyworm not having a trial for his war crimes,he got away happily as well. 

Oh please. What about Sansa feeding Ramsay to dogs? Or Arya feeding Walder Frey his own sons? Or Tyrion killing his own father? They all got away with doing absolutely taboo crimes amongst the Westerosi. 

The only person to truly pay for her sins in the end was Dany. 

If you think he left with the free people, I think Jon’s ending was quite happy. He’s never wanted the throne or to rule (that’s something we have wanted for him). He finally could go and live a free life where family names don’t matter with his friend and pet. Thought that was a nice ending. If you think he stays in the NW – well that’s a little bitter.  

12 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Oh please. What about Sansa feeding Ramsay to dogs? Or Arya feeding Walder Frey his own sons? Or Tyrion killing his own father? They all got away with doing absolutely taboo crimes amongst the Westerosi. 

And her sins were the greatest.

3 minutes ago, Martyn Bull said:

If you think he left with the free people, I think Jon’s ending was quite happy. He’s never wanted the throne or to rule (that’s something we have wanted for him). He finally could go and live a free life where family names don’t matter with his friend and pet. Thought that was a nice ending. If you think he stays in the NW – well that’s a little bitter.  

This was my impression too. He left the wall and went north to live with the Wildlings. He's with Tormund and Ghost, and seems happy enough to me.

For the record who had a happy ending?  Arya, who spent all this time trying to get back to her family, finds she has no place left in the north.  She does not want to be the great war hero after all.  Tyrion has found that he does not want the position he finds himself in.  Brann is just weird so I cannot figure him out.  Sam should be happy with his place.  Davos has lost everything to the wars.  Maybe Bronn got his happy ended.  Sansa got what she wanted (a throne), and Jon in the end was freed of his sense of duty and was free to join the free folk.  I just don't see the happy endings. 

To me there were great traits of Martin even in this broken season.  The great satisfying death we all wanted?  Nope - crushed trying to flee Kings Landing like Ned told her to do long ago - though she could have done it with her children and no one hunting her.   The great hero?  Nope.  When the city turned away from her to someone else for protection she burned them.  Jon rising up and leading mankind to freedom?  Nope - our duty sworn hero was forced to stab the person he loved to save the realm and he was forced to do it as a QueenSlayer.   Could it have been done better?  Yes it could have been.  But it was not as off the rails as some suggest.  

Jon in the end decides to ride with the Wildlings, to leave the Night's Watch. Together with his best friend Tormund and his direwolf Ghost he will hopefully come to terms with his life and enjoy it after all.

1 minute ago, RFL said:

Arya, who spent all this time trying to get back to her family, finds she has no place left in the north.  She does not want to be the great war hero after all. 

I like Arya's arc. She is a tomboy and adventurer and she wants to know what lies west of Westeros. This is perfect for her. She never wanted to be Lady of Something,. She is s Stark, sailing under the Stark sigil, but she wants to discover something new, to experience adventures. This is fine for me.

Yes, it might be bittersweet to realise you won't be with your family, but it is all on a voluntary basis, she might come back after several years. Or she might never return. Whatever. It is her choice and that is more than many girls in that time and region have. She looks happy on her ship.

8 minutes ago, Larger than Average Finger said:

And her sins were the greatest.

In terms of scale, sure, but feeding a man his children is also something unforgivable in Westeros (remember the Rat Cook?) and so is kinslaying.

Dany also did more good than anyone else in the story too though. Ended slavery and helped defeat the AotD. 

'A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.'

Hopefully King Branbot remembers that when he’s telling his stories. 

22 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Well Ramsay was an enemy of the North so she could execute him. Not saying it's the right thing to do and definitely a psychopath move, but justice system in that case is on her side. 

Arya is of course a full psychopath serial killer that pretended she was horrified by the burning of KL. Definitely a prison worth person. 

I love Tywin and definitely didn't like Tyrion killing him, could have been avoided. A trial for it wouldn't be to bad. Still wouldn't compare it to ordering an attack on surrendering soldiers. 

10 minutes ago, White26 said:

He followed orders from his queen so no crime there.

No he didn't. Dany starting to burn the city after surrender is not an order to attack surrendering soldiers. Jon definitely didn't start charging into Lannisters. Greyworm did it clearly out of personal hatred for killing of Missandei. Even if we argue it is an order. Hitlers generals were also trialed and imprisoned after the WW2 for war crimes, even common soldiers or librarians of concentration camps were. And it is not like this is just a our world thing. The Mountain is supposedly executed for his war crime of killing Elia and her children even though he just followed Tywins orders. 

I don't mind Arya's arc because it was an arc that at least made sense.  But the family she fought so hard to get back to she found, once there, she felt like an outsider.  Being the great savior only made that feeling worse for her  Her arc went beyond that point so it made sense but she is happy only because she has embraced being the lost wanderer (which is not a bad thing).  Tyrion (going by memory), in the books, considers "the wandering wolf" so it is also not unprecedented.  

What I take from this is this story could be any of the stories in the past referenced.  If Martin writes a story set five generations forward the history might be mentioned but nothing in Westeros will have changed (Harrenhal and Kings Landing might be remembered but the ideas will not have changed).  Same story outline with new characters.  No clear heros and nuanced villains.  

And the bad guys don't always get the glorious ending you want at the hand of the heros.  Almost like Varys seemed to often tell Tyrion after the battle of the Black Gate.  Sometimes the stories are only as we want them to be because the author has taken liberties (see Tyrion missing from that final history).   

Archived