Now that is Over - Let's rank best and worst!

joaozinm

Now that is all said and done i think we can make a top5 BEST and WORST of game of thrones. Comment or make your own.

You might choose subject as well (top 5 episodes, top 5 battles).

My overall top 5 best things are (not in order):

1 - The opening. To me is the best opening ever made. When the music starts and the video of westeros like a 3 map starts to pop out you know shit is about to happen.

2- The immersion. I bought that world they made. I can see westeros now and those places like they did, especially the Wall, the Eyrie and King's landing.

3 - NON POV perspective. I think they got it right. Chracters that don't have POV's are shown in their particular lifes and thats nice. (Robb, Bronn, Renly).

4 - CGI - Dragons, dragonfire, wildfire, direwolves, wights, whitewalkers, COF, i liked them all.

5 - The battles. I think the showrunners knows how to make an epic battle and thats the only hope i have for them in their new Star Wars journey.

Now my top 5 Worst!

1 - Oversimplification of plots. (kinslaying, kingslaying, destruction of sacred places, murder and rape had no consequences at all.) Complex things like succession, reasons to follow a leader, loyalty were all discarded when kings and kins started being killed and directly succeded by the killer. That also happened with the grand Sept  Cersei exploded and Dany setting dothraki sacred place on fire.

2 - The WW. The apocalipse was handled like it was nothing. And the reasons never explained.

3 - The scheming. After the series bypassed the books they didn't know how to handle the game of thrones and their schemings. LF, Olenna, Varys, Doran they all seemed to have some sort of greater plan and they were behind most of the events of westeros. But after the shortage of book material those chracters were reduced to side roles just appearing beside the main chracters like a parrot on a pirate shoulder. And that was what made GOT great in the first.

4 - The dialogue. Sometimes it looked like the chracters were not having a conversation but saying something directly to the viewer. Things like "tyrion is smart".  We never bought. JOn loves dany. Never bought.

5 - Dorne. I don't know it deserves a place in an overall top 5 worst. But dorne is my favorite region in the books. I don't need to say why is so fucked up. Its unanimous. 

Any thoughts? what were yours?

Best

1. The opening
  2. Great actors
  3. Fantastic music
  4. Amazing visuals 
  5. We didn't have to wait 8+ years between seasons

Worst

1. The Others
  2. The Ironborn
  3. Dorne
  4. Making characters too black or white in morality
  5. Making certain characters stupid in order to make others look smart

I won’t make a top and bottom 5, but I’ll point out some favorite things and not so good things.

Loved the casting for several characters probably Tyrion was the most important role to cast properly. I can’t imagine anyone else. And if they got a bad Tyrion, the show would not have worked. I also thought Cersei was excellent. Joffrey, The Hound, Melisandre, Sam, Jaime,  and I’m sure more that I left out.

On the flip side, there were some casting decisions I wasn’t as happy with. Jon was the biggest one. Also Rob, Littlefinger, Stannis, and Bran.

Loved the buildup, the character and story development. Loved learning the history and lore of Westeros.

Hated the end. All the buildup for not much payoff. All the foreshadowing and then it just fell flat at the end. 

Loved the costumes and the banners and the castles, horses, dragons, White Walkers. It all felt genuine. Never felt cartoonish or ridiculous.

Loved the twists. Ned’s death, Red wedding, Purple wedding, Hodor, Viper death match

Too much more to list. I could go on forever

Best

1. Acting. Sean Bean, Michelle Fairley, Charles Dance, Nicolas Coster Waldau, a host of others

2. Scenery. Fantastic settings and locations in Iceland, Ireland, Spain, Croatia  etc.

3. FX. Dire wolves, dragons, white walkers, spectacular battles, wildfire

4. Arya’s arc. Difficult plot of young girl on her own leaving her country to become mystic assassin. They pulled it off. 

5. The rich tapestry of GRRM’s books to support the whole thing. Complex plots, deep characters, fantastically detailed setting.

Worst

1. Inserted characters. Ros, Miranda, Talisa etc. Lyanna Mormont as the quintessential North was the only one that kinda worked, Although she was too young to be realistic.

2. Non-GRRM plots. Euron, Grey Worm-Missandei, the Dorne sideplot, faith fanatics who carve stars on their foreheads. Almost none of them worked. 

3. Jamie’s arc. Abruptly goes back to Cersei after 8 seasons of redemption arc, right after she tried to assassinate him.

4.  Useless sex scenes. Rarely advance plot, often detract from it eg important dialogue 

5. Rape and sexual violence. It makes you stronger? Who writes this stuff?

• Pretty much everyone's acting, esp. Alfie, Peter, Lena, Emilia, Sophie, Charles, Nicolaj, Jack.
  • Seasons 3 & 4: Thrones in the sheer way: schemes, battles, character developments, fights, drama, treason, love, duty, friendship
  • Secondary book characters that turned out to really light up the screen in the show: Oberyn, Tywin, Jorah, Joffrey, Varys, and others.
  • CGI
  • Ed Sheeran 

Flop

• almost everything since S5EP1
  • these plots in particular: Meereen, Dorne, the "Long Night", R+L=J
  • Jaime's arc -NCW was so good though!
  • some characters were more relevant in the books: Baelish, Mance, Catelyn...
  • Euron deserved better!

Best

• Casting
  • Acting
  • Production values
  • CGI
  • adaption in first four seasons

Worst

• Much of the writing after the first four seasons
  • Anachronisms (that got much worse as the series progressed).
  • Rushed ending
  • The resolution to the war against the white walkers

On 5/20/2019 at 12:12 PM, joaozinm said:

1 - The opening. To me is the best opening ever made. When the music starts and the video of westeros like a 3 map starts to pop out you know shit is about to happen.

I'm curious to know how many different openings they ended up using on the show, just from all of the location changes. I know Season 8 had a unique opening for each episode.

12 hours ago, Lord Lyman said:

I'm curious to know how many different openings they ended up using on the show, just from all of the location changes. I know Season 8 had a unique opening for each episode.

The last episode Changed a little.. I dont know if all kings landing, but the throne room in the end didn't had the lannister sigil, but a broken window over it...

Best

1. Performaces. Sean Bean, NCW, Michelle Fairley, Lena Headey, Dianna Rigg to just name a few.

2. CGI: pretty awesome

3. Fight choreography: Jaime Ned, Berric Hound, etc

4. Filming lo ations: loved that westeros and essos came to life

5. Opening sequences: that is the only thing I liked about season 8

I won't mention the worst 5, it's still too soon. But the one thing I hated was the gratuitous sex scenes and nudity. It detracted from how great the show was, at least till midway. I would've excused a lot in favor of a good ending, which sadly didn't happen.

Best:

1. The music (mainly Stark, Ironborn & Daenerys themes)

2.Actors: Charles Dance, Alfie Allen, Lena Headey and many more

3. Some strong scenes:&dialogues: "The moment you were born"; "Not six times, just once"; "Even confessing" and many many more

4. The Valyrian language

5. Dragon CGI

Worst:

Implausible decisions of characters & armies; implausible logistics; implausible biology (Stabbing Arya, Jons dead body not rotting); lack of good plotting after leaving the path of the books; fan service in regard to minor characters (Bronn, Gendry, Mormont girl); The most boring way to defeat the NK.

Archived