Jaime "escaped imprisonment and rode south" ??

Nerevanin

Not sure if you noticed it but when Brienne was writing Jaime's story, she wrote that after the battle against the NK, Jaime "escaped imprisonment and rode south in an attempt to save the capital from destruction."

But in fact Jaime was captured AFTER he rode south. So what's wrong with this? Is it another mistake in the series, or Brienne for a reason altered his story? And why would she alter it in this way?

Nice observation! I had not read that line in full but from what I did catch I got the impression that Brienne was trying to present Jaime in the most heroic, positive way possible, as one might with a beloved historic figure, even though the viewers know it was really much more complicated than that. Her last line, "Died protecting his Queen", cemented that for me.  I think Brienne was intentionally altering his story (though not by too much) to show him in a positive light.

3 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

Not sure if you noticed it but when Brienne was writing Jaime's story, she wrote that after the battle against the NK, Jaime "escaped imprisonment and rode south in an attempt to save the capital from destruction."

But in fact Jaime was captured AFTER he rode south. So what's wrong with this? Is it another mistake in the series, or Brienne for a reason altered his story?

It's Brienne writing nice things about someone she liked. 

6 minutes ago, bran stark overdrive said:

Nice observation! I had not read that line in full but from what I did catch I got the impression that Brienne was trying to present Jaime in the most heroic, positive way possible, as one might with a beloved historic figure, even though the viewers know it was really much more complicated than that. Her last line, "Died protecting his Queen", cemented that for me.  I think Brienne was intentionally altering his story (though not by too much) to show him in a positive light.

I also has this impression that Brienne tried to portray him as a better man than he was. She basically omitted everything bad. For example she wrote something like "captured Riverrun without a single loss of life" and it seems like he was a brilliant strategist or diplomat or something. In fact he blackmailed Edmure and threated to kill his family. I get all this. But the "imprisonment" doesn't make sense from this perspective. The line was preceeded by how Jaime bravely fought against the undead. And suddenly he was supposed to be imprisoned? Why? If she wrote just "He rode south to try to save the capital", I would be perfectly happy, but this "imprisonment" really makes me scratch my head.

3 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

But in fact Jaime was captured AFTER he rode south. So what's wrong with this? Is it another mistake in the series, or Brienne for a reason altered his story?

I haven't noticed that part, but I assumed she meant escaped imprisonment by the Starks. Or maybe she just wanted history to remember him as a good man. I don't blame her. She did really like him a lot. People do stupid things for the people they love.

He did ride south almost to kings landing, then got imprisoned.

Then tyrion let him go and.... he rode farther south to kings landing.

so technically Brianne didn't lie.  she just ommited where/why he got imprisioned.

My biggest problem with this is that the writers made the maddening decision to write Jaime out of the Kingsguard in Season 6, making Brienne writing his page kind of redundant. And it was such a pointless change to begin with - Jaime is still Lord Commander int he books and the show still could have had him leading the Lannister armies whilst also being the KG Lord Commander. In the books he's currently leading armies in the Riverlands as LC. It was just such a dumb deviation. Jaime's roel as Lord Commander was alos a big part of his trying to become a better knight in the books, he's trying genuinely to restore the Kingsguard to their former glory since they've fallen so low. 

12 minutes ago, Mudz87 said:

My biggest problem with this is that the writers made the maddening decision to write Jaime out of the Kingsguard in Season 6, making Brienne writing his page kind of redundant. And it was such a pointless change to begin with - Jaime is still Lord Commander int he books and the show still could have had him leading the Lannister armies whilst also being the KG Lord Commander. In the books he's currently leading armies in the Riverlands as LC. It was just such a dumb deviation. Jaime's roel as Lord Commander was alos a big part of his trying to become a better knight in the books, he's trying genuinely to restore the Kingsguard to their former glory since they've fallen so low. 

The whole Jaime arc has me crying tears of white hot rage. I expected him to die (although hoped against hope he didnt), but not protecting cersei who sent bronn to kill him.

And why write about him in the white book? No one bothered about barristan selmy after he was dismissed. It could have been brienne's desire to portray him positively, but I agree, it was just out of place

Imagine if Jaime had not killed Aegon?  Those surveying Kings Landing did not have to imagine it because they saw it.  Remember Jon was ready to forsake his vows to ride and help is brother in the war when he was brought back?  Jon, always loyal to his duty, was not much different than Jaime perhaps at another time.  

2 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

The whole Jaime arc has me crying tears of white hot rage. I expected him to die (although hoped against hope he didnt), but not protecting cersei who sent bronn to kill him.

And why write about him in the white book? No one bothered about barristan selmy after he was dismissed. It could have been brienne's desire to portray him positively, but I agree, it was just out of place

I agree. He's far and away my favourite character from the books and on the show too until Season 5. I just don't like D&D's interpretation of the character - this whole 'addiction' thing they've gone for. They aborted his arc when they cut so much of books 4 and 5 out and made it so he was defined solely by Cersei and nothing else - none of the trying to be a better knight and better person like in the books, they just have him permanently by her side and obsessed with getting back to her when he isn't. This whole idea that its not a redemption arc and that hes actually a good man who has committed heinous acts because of an addiction to his sister that he cant overcome is such a cheapening of the character and an over simplification. This idea that the whole Brienne thing in the North was an attempt to break free of his addiction and find happiness but that he relapses and returns to his sister to be claimed by his addiction is just lame as hell

2 hours ago, Mudz87 said:

I agree. He's far and away my favourite character from the books and on the show too until Season 5. I just don't like D&D's interpretation of the character - this whole 'addiction' thing they've gone for. They aborted his arc when they cut so much of books 4 and 5 out and made it so he was defined solely by Cersei and nothing else - none of the trying to be a better knight and better person like in the books, they just have him permanently by her side and obsessed with getting back to her when he isn't. This whole idea that its not a redemption arc and that hes actually a good man who has committed heinous acts because of an addiction to his sister that he cant overcome is such a cheapening of the character and an over simplification. This idea that the whole Brienne thing in the North was an attempt to break free of his addiction and find happiness but that he relapses and returns to his sister to be claimed by his addiction is just lame as hell

I had read all the books in a couple of months in between seasons 2 and 3, and the stark contrast between Jaime at the beginning of book 1 and end of book 5 made him my favorite character.

This idea that he couldn't break his addiction despite loving brienne (as the show runners put it) was too nihilistic for me even by GoT standards.

2 hours ago, Apoplexy said:

The whole Jaime arc has me crying tears of white hot rage. I expected him to die (although hoped against hope he didn't), but not protecting cersei who sent bronn to kill him.

Bronn managed to get the Lannister boys to give him Highgarden by lying to them saying that Cersei had offered him Riverrun to kill them. That never happened, you'll remember, so Bronn was running a scam all along.

23 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Bronn managed to get the Lannister boys to give him Highgarden by lying to them saying that Cersei had offered him Riverrun to kill them. That never happened, you'll remember, so Bronn was running a scam all along.

What is to stop him from wanting to be king and scamming people to achieve that end?

Archived