My biggest issue with the finale is that they tried to make us feel guilty for supporting Daenerys' journey.

17 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

I'm not misunderstanding. I'm arguing that dragons are always going to result in destruction. Whether accidental or not, that's what happened. She did burn people on his back, and she recalls people burning, but she doesn't realize she did that, all she can think about is how it was all worth it because she went on a dragon flight. This is Daenerys choosing her dragon over people - this fits with the show's ending.

The one where she melts away her enemies armored in ice at the Trident? That's a dream about vengeance and is laden with warning signs because she exults in her victory. When the word "exult" is used characters are being set up for some kind of failure. I can see dragons burning some wights, that's about it. The show having Dany and co bungle the wight hunt, bringing down the wall, giving the NK a dragon, was on theme because dragons always make characters trip over their own feet.  

Attack a wild animal and it will fight back.  Drogon was the one who was attacked by some blowhards with spears, and crossbows. He simply slaughtered a boar.    I no more blame Drogon than I would blame any other wild animal that fought back against attack.    She chose Drogon over the people who attacked him, just as Arya would choose Nymeria, and Jon would choose Ghost in a similar position.  But was aiming to keep the crowd and Drogon safe from each other.  She was not carrying out an act of war.

Indeed, given that the Yunkish still spent weeks afterwards, negotiating peace terms, they did not see it as an act of war either.

Archived