Your favorite individual acting performance

Considering what she had to work with, Emilia really pulled off the impossible this season. The character would have turned into a complete caricature with anyone else. Chapeau. I really appreciated Tyrion's return to wits as well, late as it came, although I still don't buy Saint Tyrion isn't at least in part an act. Overall, the Lannisters have been the stars of this show. Tywin, Cersei, Jaime and Tyrion all gave so much life to their roles.

The best performance, in terms of nailing every single scene they were in* was Charles Dance. But it’s hard to call his the best performance when others carried much heavier loads, like Cersei, Tyrion, Jon, etc. Jorah’s somewhere between the 2.

* there were a few even more supporting characters who brought it every time, like Ser Allester, Oberyn, the Head Sparrow, Roose, etc.

This season, Emilia Clarke undoubtedly shone the brightest. I never cared much for Dany but I really liked her this season.

Runner ups would be Lena Headey who was excellent as usual and Maisie Williams who carried the action sequences.

I also really liked Conleth Hill's conversation with Tyrion in episode 4. It reminded me of the earlier seasons.

Tyrion's speech at the trial in Season 4 is my favorite Big Moment for an actor.

Emilia Clarke was so excellent in season 1 moving from submissive slave/little sister to dominating khaleesi that I always believed that the reason she was so expressionless much of the time seasons 2-7 was because the show-runners told her to play it that way. I think this season proved that: she's a fine actress.

Rory McCann is the Hound. Not sure I can ever really see him in another role.

Everybody who was mentioned here is an excellent actor and has seized and conquered my heart and my emotion.

But I do want to mention Gwendoline Christie: Her acting with NCW in ep. 2 was absolutely stunning and so intense, that I weeped and weeped and weeped during her knighting. And her smile afterwards: Pure sunshine. Pure warmth. Pure happiness.

I could never pick just one. This show is full of great actors - when they are allowed to act. 

Emilia ramped it up this season for sure but I think she always had the ability she just wasn't given the opportunity. 

Maisie is always great. 

Rory McCann & John Bradley are great. 

Dinklage kills it when he is given good lines. 

If I had to pick one... Ahh I can't. How about 2? Nikolaj & Dance as Jaime & Tywin are the best I think. Truly amazing actors that brought their characters to life. 

ETA: I almost forgot Theon!! He is up there with Jaime & Tywin for me. He had to act such a range of emotions & situations & killed it every time. 

Yeah Emilia Clarke definitely did a good job this season since it definitively is her season. You have Jorah dying. You have her descent into madness. You have her speech. The chilling approach to the throne room. Then her murder at the hands of Jon.

It’s not what I wanted for the character and I disagree with the direction and how it was done. But, the acting is good on its merits.

On 5/20/2019 at 3:18 PM, Winter prince said:

Until this season I though Emilia was an expressionless actress. She killed the last few episodes 

True, but that was just her evening out the score, since the last few episodes also killed her. ;—}

On 5/20/2019 at 4:27 PM, Isewein said:

Considering what she had to work with, Emilia really pulled off the impossible this season. The character would have turned into a complete caricature with anyone else. Chapeau. I really appreciated Tyrion's return to wits as well, late as it came, although I still don't buy Saint Tyrion isn't at least in part an act. Overall, the Lannisters have been the stars of this show. Tywin, Cersei, Jaime and Tyrion all gave so much life to their roles.

Some of that may be because of the comparative age and experience of the actors involved.

Compare the age and exerience of the actors you mentioned playing the Lannisters with those of the actors playing the Starks or even Lancel. The acting of the three elder Starks playing Ned, Cat, Benjen was stronger compared with that of the children whom the tale was actually about. But they didn't last very long compared with the Lannister clan's four main actors, while the kids (including Dany) all had to grow into being actors as they went. None of the four Lannister actors you mentioned did so because they already were actors

That's why they got Diana Rigg to play the Queen of Thorns as a foil to Charles Dance’s Tywin. They needed to pair him with someone of comparable acting chops so as to make their shared scenes together sparkle.  Imagine if we could have had that sort of chemistry between any two of the Stark children or one of them with Dany! It would have been magical. But we never did. 

And although they were in much smaller roles, Jim Broadbent as Archmaester Ebrose and Jonathan Pryce as the High Sparrow brought the same level of gravitas as Rigg and Dance, creating more out of those characters than we might have otherwise expected.

4 hours ago, Dragons 7th Eye said:

Oh absolutely! Joffrey was so despicable and he not only made him maniac but vain and cowardly etc. and very consistent.

If you have never seen this clip of Jack Gleeson saying "It's sunny outside" first as himself and then as "a villain" (i.e., as Joffrey), it's only 27 seconds and it's brilliant:

2 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Emilia. Give her the Emmy now. She was the highlight of this mess of a season. 

She was incredible this season. Only season I can say she really impressed me with her acting. 

Ironically, she delivered most when she had the least to work with in terms of plot and dialogue. 

On 5/20/2019 at 11:27 PM, Isewein said:

Overall, the Lannisters have been the stars of this show. Tywin, Cersei, Jaime and Tyrion all gave so much life to their roles.

Got to agree... the casting for these characters absolutely knocked it out of the park. I don't recall any of them ever having done less than a fantastic job with what they've been given.
Unfortunately, what they've been given hasn't always been consistent or enough... definitely not much writing time devoted to Cersei this season, and so Lena at her best was missed, but I don't blame her for that.... but she does do power-staring out of windows & off balconies phenomenally well.

Peter Dinklage for me is this seasons Emmy contender. 
Nicolaj Coster-Waldau was also fantastic and especially loved the scenes of them together.

I've also consistently loved the performances by Rory McCann, Conleth Hill, Aiden Gillen, Liam Cunningham and Iain Glen.  
I never really appreciated Iain fully until I heard him in interview and he sounded absolutely NOTHING like Jorah, it kinda freaked me out. :D

On 5/20/2019 at 11:33 PM, Ingelheim said:

Kit Harington has improved quite a lot over the years. He was pretty bland back in Season 1.

Hmmm, i thought he was pretty bland in Season 8 though too, bless him, with that stilted way of delivering lines
 "She... will... always... be... my... queen" 
But he's amongst those younger actors who have improved a bit, along with Emilia.... but I think Maisie has improved much quicker and has much more range... and Sophie does a fantastic catlike Sansa glare, but it'll be interesting to see how good/bad she is in other things when she has more to actually do.

Emilia Clarke

I've not been the biggest fan of hers since season 1. I just didn't think she did confident Dany all that well, IMO

That being said, she was really good in the final season. Her best work since the shows first season, IMO

Archived