Anyone else feeling bummed about the show being over?

Petitephlox

I know a lot of us are pretty upset about the way things ended, whether or not you are a Dany fan, thought the season was rushed, or just thought the writing was terrible...

but aside from that, is anyone else feeling deflated that the show is now done? Like no matter how you felt about Daenerys and Drogon, Ghost and Jon, Bran, Sansa, Arya, we don’t get to see them again? And really wishing the books had finished before the show had. Perhaps it’s hard to separate the feelings of disappointment from a final season that was certainly controversial, but I hate to think all the characters, layers, mysteries, and prophecies are something we won’t enjoy picking apart in the books because the show seems to have tied them up/decimated them.

How soon are those prequels coming out? :P

I do think the series was rushed heavily and had some poor excuses for plot inconsistencies and logic gaps by the end but I won't be one of those people who will ignore the impact this show has had on my life. As much as people like to throw shade at D&D (some of it being well-earnt mind you), I will forever be thankful to them for introducing me to this fascinating world with this brilliant cast of characters. Like many here, I had never even heard of the book series before the show aired. I will most certainly miss it.

I am kinda indifferent about it being over. I wasn't really getting excited for the episodes anymore because I knew I would just be disappointed. My friends and I mainly watched it because we spent years of our life doing this each Sunday and just wanted to see it through to the end. Ever since the ending of The Long Night episode, it has felt like a chore to watch the show. To me that was the biggest disappointment of the show.

Not really excited about the prequels at all either. A few seasons ago we all talked about watching them together but after the past three seasons, can't convince ourselves to do it. Though who knows, maybe things change in however long it takes for the show to come out?

Though, I am excited for whenever the books may be finished, which hopefully is before GRRM dies. But I think I will reread them now, just to remember a better time haha.

Edit: I should also mention that I was a book reader before the show, to put things in perspective.

I kind of feel a bit different.

I watched the first season and got into the books around the time ADWD was released like many people. I grew to love the books more but the show was always an enjoyable stop-gap for me as I waited for the books. I enjoyed the show for the majority of the seasons and at the end of every season, I always lamented the season coming to an end. This season was different, for the first time I actually couldn't wait until the show came to an end. It's unfortunate that a show I really liked has left a sour taste in my mouth.

It would have been easy to accept the season by saying that "I can't wait until the books come out" but IMO I don't see them coming out anytime soon. It's something I've accepted a few years back which is why I haven't posted in the book forums for a long time and didn't even bother touching the recent Fire and Blood book or any of the sample chapters GRRM released. Besides the show, I've found myself withdrawing from the world of Westeros more and more. The decline in the show's quality only helped wedged that distance even further. Over the years I've also picked up a few other fantasy stories from some contemporary authors such as Brandon Sanderson and as I invest into those worlds more I'm probably going to further be distanced from the world of Westeros. 

So yeah, I'm not going to be looking forward to the prequels, and probably won't be watching them. 

2 minutes ago, Queen‍‍‍‍‍‍ Alysanne‍‍™ said:

I kind of feel a bit different.

I watched the first season and got into the books around the time ADWD was released like many people. I grew to love the books more but the show was always an enjoyable stop-gap for me as I waited for the books. I enjoyed the show for the majority of the seasons and at the end of every season, I always lamented the season coming to an end. This season was different, for the first time I actually couldn't wait until the show came to an end. It's unfortunate that a show I really liked has left a sour taste in my mouth.

It would have been easy to accept the season by saying that "I can't wait until the books come out" but IMO I don't see them coming out anytime soon. It's something I've accepted a few years back which is why I haven't posted in the book forums for a long time and didn't even bother touching the recent Fire and Blood book or any of the sample chapters GRRM released. Besides the show, I've found myself withdrawing from the world of Westeros more and more. The decline in the show's quality only helped wedged that distance even further. Over the years I've also picked up a few other fantasy stories from some contemporary authors such as Brandon Sanderson and as I invest into those worlds more I'm probably going to further be distanced from the world of Westeros. 

So yeah, I'm not going to be looking forward to the prequels, and probably won't be watching them. 

I think a lot of people feel like you.

In relation to the show ending I fel happy and sad at the same time. Happy because it is finally over. This season was so bad that I just wanted it to end...

But I am sad because I fel like I lost the link to asoiaf universe. And even if winds is published soon nobody knows when the last book will be released… It just won t be the same without the series having a season each year…

And the prequels can go fuck themselves. After this agony I have no interest in them. I might watch them because they are fantasy, but I will never be as interested in them as I was in GOT and in the books.

30 minutes ago, divica said:

I think a lot of people feel like you.

In relation to the show ending I fel happy and sad at the same time. Happy because it is finally over. This season was so bad that I just wanted it to end...

But I am sad because I fel like I lost the link to asoiaf universe. And even if winds is published soon nobody knows when the last book will be released… It just won t be the same without the series having a season each year…

And the prequels can go fuck themselves. After this agony I have no interest in them. I might watch them because they are fantasy, but I will never be as interested in them as I was in GOT and in the books.

Especially as GRRM is involved with them himself, to an extent.  Yet another distraction for him to lessen the chance he'll finish TWOW, let alone ADOS.

I'm loathe to blame the show for him not finishing the books, considering the time it took from ASOS to ADWD, but it certainly had a negative impact.

2 hours ago, Petitephlox said:

I know a lot of us are pretty upset about the way things ended, whether or not you are a Dany fan, thought the season was rushed, or just thought the writing was terrible...

but aside from that, is anyone else feeling deflated that the show is now done? Like no matter how you felt about Daenerys and Drogon, Ghost and Jon, Bran, Sansa, Arya, we don’t get to see them again? And really wishing the books had finished before the show had. Perhaps it’s hard to separate the feelings of disappointment from a final season that was certainly controversial, but I hate to think all the characters, layers, mysteries, and prophecies are something we won’t enjoy picking apart in the books because the show seems to have tied them up/decimated them.

How soon are those prequels coming out? :P

I feel bittersweet.  I'm bitter that the books didn't end the story for me first, but I'm happy to finally have closure more than 21 years from when my journey started.

I'm now going to read the first two books again as someone cracked the ending for the major characters (Stark kids, Tyrion and Dany) after just the first two books!  So now I want to see what is retrospectively obvious (Bran the Builder, so fucking obvious in hindsight!).

I feel like I should have more closure than I do, haha, from the show ending. Is it silly to hold out hope that if/when GRRM finishes the books that there will be, even with a bittersweet ending and plenty of tragedy, more of a feeling of satisfaction at a story well told, mysteries unraveled, as well as prophecies that actually make sense and have meaning? :)

I've been reading the books since 1998, on westeros from 2000, and came to the conclusion that it was very likely we wouldn't get a book ending anytime soon (if ever) when Dance was released, so I'm super happy the show answered the big questions and did so in such a spectacular way. Having checked out on the books from 2012, I didn't much follow the show and binged it these past 3 weeks. Overall, I am quite happy with it. The hateposting is sort of funny, this season certainly wasn't close to the worst (that would go to the first half of S5) and the cinematography, music, acting was all top notch. The writing was acceptable, but I'm not tied to this or that theory and didn't have expectations coloring my impressions during the binge. The Long Night was a bit disappointing but the epic bittersweetness of the last two episodes blew me away.

Don't think we'll be getting something like this again anytime soon.

I empty inside too. 

Mainly due to the ending I guess, I was prepared for some bittersweet but didn't expect it to be this tragic. And since the ending is basically spoiled, I can't imagine taking much pleasure from re-reading the already published books, or next ones.

I started reading them in 2010 I think, so it's probably not as long as many here but I got connected to this shit and was expecting some epic conclusion. But no, it's too "real" and not enough fantastc to me.

Feel like I've been stabbed by a loved one right before seizing what's mine :crying:

Yeah. Been watching since Season 1 episode 1. Felt that after season 4 something was missing from the show but couldn't quite figure out what. Even though it wasn't as good as it had been I still looked forward to new episodes.

Honestly, this is maybe the one good thing I can say about the poor execution of season 7 and especially season 8. Expectations just collapsed to the point that I'm indifferent to it being over. We got our ending. That's all we have, along with that dream that perhaps the novels will come through.

Archived