Bittersweet?

shawnpmcd

Just now, Jabar of House Titan said:

I'm sorry but how did Jon and Tyrion have bad endings.

Jon got to do what he wanted to do and Tyrion did as well...

Tyrion failed as the hand of the king, found his brother and sister dead, his house is basically extinct, his beloved city is in ashes with thousands of innocents killed, and he will probably be dealing with guilt all his life. Just because they made some jokes in the small council months later doesn't mean it ended good for Tyrion. 

and Jon had to kill Dany, that says enough no?

4 minutes ago, EProduc said:

Tyrion failed as the hand of the king, found his brother and sister dead, his house is basically extinct, his beloved city is in ashes with thousands of innocents killed, and he will probably be dealing with guilt all his life. Just because they made some jokes in the small council months later doesn't mean it ended good for Tyrion. 

and Jon had to kill Dany, that says enough no?

But they got "bittersweet" endings: Jon gets hang out with wildlings who all love him and Tyrion gets to do what he loves--be a politician and crack dumb jokes about whores and cocks.

Cersei and Jaime get to die comforting each other in their loving embrace

Yet Daenerys is deceived, betrayed and killed by someone she deeply loved and respected because she had to become the villain for the sake of the plot.

How many lives has Daenerys saved and changed for the better? Yet, she is painted as a bloodthirsty, grasping woman?

Do you realize that this reinforces a terrible stereotype about women in power?

5 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

But they got "bittersweet" endings: Jon gets hang out with wildlings who all love him and Tyrion gets to do what he loves--be a politician and crack dumb jokes about whores and cocks.

Yet Daenerys is deceived, betrayed and killed by someone she deeply loved and respected because she had to become the villain for the sake of the plot.

How many lives has Daenerys saved and changed for the better? Yet, she is painted as a bloodthirsty, grasping woman?

I think it's an interpretation thing. I saw Dany at the end being a misguided person. She wasn't evil, she made a terrible choice for what she thought was the greater good. It only reinforces a stereotype if you paint it in that light.

1 minute ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Well, I would at least add Jon to the sad ending. Sure, he gets to spend time with the Wildlings. But what was the cost? If he would have left there after the NK got killed in episode 4, then OK. But now all he got was to know who he actually is, The true heir to the throne and not a bastard. But instead of that being something good for him, it made it even worse than being a bastard. Ending with him murdering the woman he loves, for a second time. He is a as previous poster stated, a broken man. I can't see how anyone like him could ever become who he was, or happy for that matter. It's just an inevitable suicide waiting to happen. 

Tyrion, his ending I would say was sweet. But Jon, for the sake of mercy, should have been killed. 

14 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Like I said somewhere above I agree that it was bittersweet but for me personally it felt a little worse than that. And that's what it is with this ending, it's open for interpretation. Especially Jon's ending could go in many different directions and there's no right or wrong on how he got a happy ending or not. 

As for Dany, her ending was just very sad basically. From a hopeful young girl with a lot of good intentions and 3 baby dragons to a paranoid tyrant that got betrayed in many ways having lost most of what she ever loved in her life, including two of her own children, her best friend and Jorah who's been there since the beginning. All to end with her being killed by Jon as she thought they could happily rule together and make the world a better place (even if it would be in a tyrant way), and her lover that she trusted... but it had to end like this either way. She was mixing up 'breaking the weel' with being a tyrant too much and after KL it only would've gotten worse. The saddest part is that she actually thought she was doing 'good', even if she just burned thousands of innocents.

I predicted a much much harsher end. I thought the sweet was that the humans survived the AOTD and our heroes would die at the gates of King's Landing. The ending was obviously more satisfying than my prediction, but I still think there was far too little bitter in it.

However. If you look at it this way: Dany was probably one of the most loved characters throughout the whole series. Perhaps the most loved character by the masses. She did get a terrible ending that to me felt undeserved.

Dany got so screwed in the end. Not this episode but the last few. This was just a culmination. I think they ruined her when she heard the bells. She would not - 100% - go and burn children. She made mistakes etc., but never ever was she cruel out of the blue to bystanders. And she died. Poor Drogon, too. At least he lived, which I thought he wouldn't. From this point of view - for the masses - there was bitterness involved.

As for sweet?

Arya and Sansa got theirs.

Jon kinda did and kinda didn't, as did Tyrion.

Sandor got his but died. I don't think he minded.

Bronn so totally did get 1000 times more than he ever could have hoped for. Master of coin?

Sam getting the best of three or more worlds - being a grand maester but being able to stay with Gillie in KL and being Lord of Hornhill etc. Geez.. If only Rick.. Dickon had lived it would have been all roses for him except for the Lord part which he absolutely does not need.

Brienne apparently lost her way back to Sansa as she was in the wrong Kingsguard in the end? But yeah - a happy end for her even if Jaime died.

Bran looks like he orchestrated his own rise to power.

etc.

Basically almost all sweet except Daenerys Stormborn I of her name. She did not reign long.

3 minutes ago, Knugen said:

Well, I would at least add Jon to the sad ending. Sure, he gets to spend time with the Wildlings. But what was the cost? If he would have left there after the NK got killed in episode 4, then OK. But now all he got was to know who he actually is, The true heir to the throne and not a bastard. But instead of that being something good for him, it made it even worse than being a bastard. Ending with him murdering the woman he loves, for a second time. He is a as previous poster stated, a broken man. I can't see how anyone like him could ever become who he was, or happy for that matter. It's just an inevitable suicide waiting to happen. 

Tyrion, his ending I would say was sweet. But Jon, for the sake of mercy, should have been killed. 

That's the saddest thing about it.

Jon didn't even have to kill Daenerys.

The most logical and sensible thing to do is to rally around her and be the shoulder she can lean on. Even if he was bothered by the fact that they are lovers and blood relatives (lol neither one of them made any mention about that), she is still his blood relative. Jon put zero effort in saving and taking care of his aunt, unlike Tyrion who put way too much effort in trying to save and take care of his sister and brother

And Jon  had his chance to do it in episode 4, 5 and 6. But he chose not to give her love because...why?

7 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

That's the saddest thing about it.

Jon didn't even have to kill Daenerys.

The most logical and sensible thing to do is to rally around her and be the shoulder she can lean on. Even if he was bothered by the fact that they are lovers and blood relatives (lol neither one of them made any mention about that), she is still his blood relative. Jon put zero effort in saving and taking care of his aunt, unlike Tyrion who put way too much effort in trying to save and take care of his sister and brother

And Jon  had his chance to do it in episode 4, 5 and 6. But he chose not to give her love because...why?

I agree with you. Jon could have changed it all, even after the fact that she murdered the entire KL. Just like he told her about the murdered children and women (She kinda woke up a bit by it) he could have just told her to walk with him through everything to make her understand, that this is not right. This is not how you liberate(She fucking knew how to liberate people, this was not it)  he could have cried, begged her, just like she did to him not to say anything about him being a Targ to make her change her mind. NOBODY gave her the benefit of the doubt. 

But they had their agenda to have her killed, gone, kaput. Because even after episode 5. She could have been saved, they could have left. He could have just told her, lets leave and never look back. But I guess in the end, it's the fact that he only got 3 lines the entire season, and he had to stick to them. 

In the end, as i've mentioned before. It's just pure trash writing, because they could have ended it the same, but good, even with the 6 episodes they had. 

1 hour ago, Winter prince said:

It's bittersweet for Jon. He even said what he did does not feel right. Sure he's free in the North with ghost but at what cost to him emotionally? He's now betrayed the two women that have loved him and held both of them in his arms while they died

The very definition of bittersweet.  I thought it was well done. 

Jon’s ending was painful. He has spent all of his life an outcast, being made to believe that he was a bastard, a product of a mistake. Dany offered him an opportunity to be who he was, in a bittersweet kind of way.... because of her rise to power he learnt who he truly was, he was the shield that protected, the sword that defeated and the heart that was broken. He knew that deep down things couldn’t remain, he watched his escape die in his arms, and once again was made to banish his identity, and live a lie. He will die a heartbroken man, Aegon Targaryen the last of his name. 

2 minutes ago, Calaryion said:

Jon’s ending was painful. He has spent all of his life an outcast, being made to believe that he was a bastard, a product of a mistake. Dany offered him an opportunity to be who he was, in a bittersweet kind of way.... because of her rise to power he learnt who he truly was, he was the shield that protected, the sword that defeated and the heart that was broken. He knew that deep down things couldn’t remain, he watched his escape die in his arms, and once again was made to banish his identity, and live a lie. He will die a heartbroken man, Aegon Targaryen the last of his name. 

But that was his choice.

He didn't have to kill her right then and there.

Cersei gets second chance after second chance after second chance but Daenerys can't even get one.

5 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

But that was his choice.

Cersei gets second chance after second chance after second chance but Daenerys can't even get one.

Which is another example of a betrayal to her, and even throughout the episode with Brienne writing that piece on Jamie, it seems as though Dany was painted into more of a tyrant, she was continually betrayed, and failed until there was no one left around her to trust. 

10 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

But that was his choice.

And Dany didn't have to burn down KL either.  Actions should have consequences.  She was misguided.  And the biggest threat to peace and prosperity in Westeros at that point.  

Nobody ever thinks they're the villain.  

In the end, Jon was going to eat a shit sandwich either way.  He decided to side with his sisters.  Remember Arya earlier in the season reminds him that they're family.

Just now, Skills said:

And Dany didn't have to burn down KL either.  Actions should have consequences.  She was misguided.  And the biggest threat to peace and prosperity in Westeros at that point.  

Nobody ever thinks they're the villain.  

In the end, Jon was going to eat a shit sandwich either way.  He decided to side with his sisters.  Remember Arya earlier in the season reminds him that they're family.

Daenerys is his family too.

How is Jon's ending bittersweet? He's EXILED from the very people he loves (his family in Winterfell). Everyone keeps saying he was happiest with the Wildlings. WTF? He was happy with YGRITTE and she's DEAD. He spent most of his time among the Wildlings trying to keep from getting his head chopped off by Mance or his eyes spooned out by The Weeper, Varamyr Six-Skins or The Lord of Bones.

No, Jon's ending was entirely bitter. It wasn't Frodo's bittersweet sailing off to Tol Eressëa (since he was sailing away with his uncle Bilbo and promised to be reunited with his best friend Samwise someday). No, Jon just got screwed. It was literally as if Aragorn did all he did only for the people of Gondor to choose Gríma Wormtongue to be king and Aragorn had to return to live out his days as the Last Chieftain of the Dunedain of Arnor...but like in the Trollshaws.....

1 minute ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Daenerys is his family too.

By blood,  yes.

But family is much more than that.  It's clear Jon was conflicted all the way up until he stabbed her.  But the moment she said, "They don't get a choice, " is when Jon knew there would be no reasoning with her.  

Just now, Skills said:

By blood,  yes.

But family is much more than that.  It's clear Jon was conflicted all the way up until he stabbed her.  But the moment she said, "They don't get a choice, " is when Jon knew there would be no reasoning with her.  

LOL oh yeah...

But the Not-So-Great Council at the Dragonpit decided that the smallfolk and the other lords who didn't attend don't get a choice.  And the Small Council headed by Tyrion still makes the choices for the smallfolk because apparently they don't get to choose between ships or brothels.

And both instances are laughed off.

9 minutes ago, Nami said:

Maybe bittersweet only for the Starks and those who always rooted for that family.

Not for Jon though and I don't think there was any bitter for Bran. Sansa, maybe, because that last hug she gave Jon...but even then she COULD have freed him since The Wall is in the North and she's Queen....

Archived