No one really cares about KL massacre

1 minute ago, RFL said:

Dragons are also far from reality 

Ah so we should disregard pragmatism and apply fantasy to a show who liked to base itself on being real. This is probably why Danys actions were so viewed as black and white by some people here.

1 minute ago, RFL said:

There is no good way to apply the use of the equivalent of a weapon of mass destruction to a surrendered city in medieval morality.  What historical example do we have?  

I can dig up lots of instances of total slaughter and complete death of populations save for keeping what ever could be a useful slave.

How it's done doesn't really matter. Also she didn't kill everyone nor intended thus the KL deaths are overstated.

I guess I am failing to separate the destruction of kings landing from the speech after promising to continue “freeing” people from one end of the kingdom to the other.  The destruction of kings landing MIGHT be able to be justified from the correct prism.  The speech after solidified her decent into not just claiming the throne and ruling but the destruction and decimation of the realm.  

1 hour ago, KingMudd said:

The Chivalric code was going during the middle ages which proves you wrong. You're also trying to say that everyone involved in a war for some reason would have no moral code of their own.

Look at Stannis. He absolutely does not stand for any pillaging and raping from his men. There would have been commanders like this in our own history. 

The chivalric code was more ideal than actual. It was popularized by romance writers of the time. The fact that there were morally upright military leaders in medieval history does not make them the majority.

22 minutes ago, RFL said:

I guess I am failing to separate the destruction of kings landing from the speech after promising to continue “freeing” people from one end of the kingdom to the other.  The destruction of kings landing MIGHT be able to be justified from the correct prism.  The speech after solidified her decent into not just claiming the throne and ruling but the destruction and decimation of the realm.  

Ok fair point, I think her speech was stupid and a desperate attempt by the writers to morph her into Hitler to justify killing her to the audiances. Even taking it as actually happening though doesn't guarantee the outcome assumed to come from it(particularly with counsel). This thread isn't about Dany so I will try to stay on topic but the idea Jon would kill her because she burned her and his enemies down is absurd.

The victory would be celebrated by his men as an ending of Lannister aggression and payment for it's misdeeds.

But he did not kill her for the massacre (I think). Tyrion made it clear that Winterfell was on her kill list. Her speech allowed him to drive that point home.  I don’t think Jon was driven to action by what happened in the past. He was driven by protecting his family (the Stark family) and the north.  

Archived