Arya the Explorer

Arya in the show is the next most nonsensical character after the Nights King - getting command of a Stark boat with a bunch of dudes who probably thought the sun shined out of her little pointy dagger didn't seem an impossible resolution considering much of her tale.

9 hours ago, Hodor's Dragon said:
  • NO experience in command.
  • NO experience with ships.
  • NO experience with cartography.
  • NO experience with naturalism.
  • NO experience with provisioning a force

My goodness, all this moaning and hating.

She will have a captain and crew. We see people walking on her ship. She has personell that is capable of provisioning and cartography. Not that difficult to imagine. 

If Cersei had gone on a ship like this, no one would have assumed she does this all herself. 

I just want to know where they got the funding for the ship?  Bran the burner destroyed all the ships long ago and the North had not had a real naval force since.  I mean with Winterfell in need of repairs you'd think a Stark ship would be low on the priorities.

3 minutes ago, Winter prince said:

I just want to know where they got the funding for the ship?  Bran the burner destroyed all the ships long ago and the North had not had a real naval force since.  I mean with Winterfell in need of repairs you'd think a Stark ship would be low on the priorities.

They have ALL the realm's options now and one ship is not that much. Arya is the primary hero of the Great War and surely she can receive a ship as reward. Bran is the King and one ship is always possible.

There are civil ships in all known ports and not just those of the military fleets. This moaning was really nonsense.

Her eventual outcome fit in with the early book character, but one criticism I would have is that the early book character was a child and many girls go through a tomboy phase before settling down. It should be remembered that her aunt liked sword fighting, and most likely even took part in a jousting tournament, but eventually married someone (causing a civil war in the process).

Perhaps a braver outcome would be something that fit an adult rather than the dreams of a child.

10 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

My goodness, all this moaning and hating.

She will have a captain and crew. We see people walking on her ship. She has personell that is capable of provisioning and cartography. Not that difficult to imagine. 

If Cersei had gone on a ship like this, no one would have assumed she does this all herself. 

So much this. 

Do you think the worlds greatest Explorers did all by themself? 

Amundsen to the North pole, all alone? 

2 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

They have ALL the realm's options now and one ship is not that much. Arya is the primary hero of the Great War and surely she can receive a ship as reward. Bran is the King and one ship is always possible.

There are civil ships in all known ports and not just those of the military fleets. This moaning was really nonsense.

To be fair she deserved a reward but the small council was literally talking about how they had to rebuild ships

Just now, Winter prince said:

To be fair she deserved a reward but the small council was literally talking about how they had to rebuild ships

Of course they have to. But ONE ship is not what breaks the balance. There are big ports all over Westeros, a lot of trade ships in all of the harbors we have seen and been showed on the map. ONE medium-sized trade ship for Arya. Not that difficult to imagine. Priorities first. 

Why shouldn't Arya not get what she wants from THIS council? She literally saved Bran's life. She fought together with Brienne. No one will say no to a ship for Arya. They are rich anyway now. 

13 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Of course they have to. But ONE ship is not what breaks the balance. There are big ports all over Westeros, a lot of trade ships in all of the harbors we have seen and been showed on the map. ONE medium-sized trade ship for Arya. Not that difficult to imagine. Priorities first. 

Why shouldn't Arya not get what she wants from THIS council? She literally saved Bran's life. She fought together with Brienne. No one will say no to a ship for Arya. They are rich anyway now. 

You make valid points

40 minutes ago, Winter prince said:

North had naval force. White Harbor, House Manderly. In books this is even emphasized with Lord Wyman building more warships in secrecy.

26 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Moreover Arya does not really need a serious warship for exploration. Good long range trading ship would serve her better (GRRM has an unhealthy obsession with galleys, the ship she had was far better suited for the task :))

So she is going to find what has already been found by that other girl that was a master of the trade.

That one had to sell dragon eggs to build a ship capable enough, unlike Aria's pathetic ship. If it was so easy any amateur could do it, it would have been done many times. No way they have enough supplies on that tiny ship. 

Even for the savior it's hard to find a competent crew to go somewhere where you are sailing a very very long time, and probably not returning at all.

Fan service is your answer. That was all their imagination could come up with. She is no girl of courts and the list is ended. 

Archived