Arya the Explorer

7 minutes ago, Hodor's Dragon said:

You should just start your own forum about how great it all was.

I see a lot of shortcomings. Many things were to rushed in S7 and S8. Some continuity problems as well. Some scenes I didn't like, too. 

But people downgrading it from 10/10 to 1/10 because they simply do not understand Daenerys character from the beginning, or moaning about book/show differences is just not fair. It's not the book. It's a show.

GoT is one of the greatest shows ever and the overall storyline is great and believable. And yes, one can like an ending or not. But all these modern shitstorms are not fair and not balanced. It's a TV show after all. An excellent one. 

Arya's arc is fine. Nothing to main about. No need to talk about forests from the book. Watch the show. It fits. 

Shitstorms are easy and had they been popular 10 years ago, I bet they would have torn apart the show after Ned's beheading or the Red Wedding. Back then, it was fine. No shitstorms. 

The last two episodes didn't get the worst ratings by far of any episodes in the history of this forum because the forum is full of haters. Or because of a "modern" fad. It's because they are packed with absurdities, on sequiturs, and inconsistent characterization. The early seasons were not. It's not because of some phenomenon you call "modern shitstorms" that the dramatic events of Season 1 and Season 3 were received, it's because they all made perfect dramatic and logical sense and the actor were firmly in character.

Beyond doubt, no other TV show in history can touch Game of Thrones for spectacle. Technically, it just got better and better as it went along, became popular, got more money, and generally spent it well. But the people running the show don't know how to plot and, even though it kept getting prettier, its internal logic started tracking off the rails as soon as it passed the books. 

It got worse and worse and, as many commenters have pointed out, this season has pretty much just been a race from one plot point/spectacle to the next, with no sinew or flesh to make the bones adhere into a whole story body. Characters don't do what they've shown us before they would do, they just do whatever is necessary to get to the next spectacle.

5 minutes ago, Hodor's Dragon said:

because the forum is full of haters

Oh, it is. And tose who hate mostly write the most. It's a time of shitstorms becoming normal. 

6 minutes ago, Hodor's Dragon said:

But the people running the show don't know how to plot and, even though it kept getting prettier, its internal logic started tracking off the rails as soon as it passed the books

It's a bit harsh, but I somehow agree. The storytelling degraded after the books were done. It got more mainstream, more Hollywoodish, more psychological instead of sociological. The depth disappeared to a certain degree.

8 minutes ago, Hodor's Dragon said:

this season has pretty much just been a race from one plot point/spectacle to the next, with no sinew or flesh to make the bones

That is true, somehow, unfortunately. Too rushed, to less gripping dialogues, too less emotions (besides E2, which was great).

8 minutes ago, Hodor's Dragon said:

Characters don't do what they've shown us before they would do, they just do whatever is necessary to get to the next spectacle.

This, however, I rate as unfair over-simplification. It's not that bad. Rushed yes, but not against what we know of our characters. 

On 5/21/2019 at 8:34 AM, JagLover said:

Perhaps a braver outcome would be something that fit an adult rather than the dreams of a child.

She is still not an adult. She would be somewhere between 16 and 18. And look at Brienne, she is much older than Arya and she isn't married.

It will probably be a spin off.

Another quote I missed. 

Ashore. Arya bit her lip. She had crossed the narrow sea to get here, but if the captain had asked she would have told him she wanted to stay aboard the Titan's Daughter. Salty was too small to man an oar, she knew that now, but she could learn to splice ropes and reef the sails and steer a course across the great salt seas. Denyo had taken her up to the crow's nest once, and she hadn't been afraid at all, though the deck had seemed a tiny thing below her. I can do sums too, and keep a cabin neat. Arya I, AFFC

Well, on the plus side, unless she happens upon Aegon, Rhaenys and Visenya  (the islands) that she's too far south to hit on a westward trajectory, chances are she's going to sail to her death. And given she's had so much plot armour, an ending where it finally runs out works just fine for me.

On 5/24/2019 at 10:46 AM, SansaJonRule said:

It will probably be a spin off.

Plot twist, Arya goes on to discover Ameros. There she helps the Amerosi unite, hunting vampires and freeing slaves.

Spoiler

11 hours ago, Jaghen said:

Plot twist, Arya goes on to discover Ameros. There she helps the Amerosi unite, hunting vampires and freeing slaves.

Reveal hidden contents

Vampires-ugh!!!!!!!!!!

the video clip is WOW! Almost the exact same move. Wonder if it's been used in any other shows?

On 6/4/2019 at 12:33 PM, Jaghen said:

Hide contents

No, what really happened is that Arya discovered lands far to the West, but she was sadly suffering at the time from measles, which wiped out half the local population.  Upon recovery, she discovered that the these lands were chock full of silver and gold ore.  She reported her discoveries back to her sister, who sent out an armada which enslaved the remaining inhabitants, and made them mine for precious metals.

On 6/4/2019 at 1:33 PM, Jaghen said:

Hide contents

I can't believe that they stole that scene. fro abe the vampire hunter... lol

On 5/21/2019 at 6:13 AM, Hodor's Dragon said:
  • NO experience in command.
  • NO experience with ships.
  • NO experience with cartography.
  • NO experience with naturalism.
  • NO experience with provisioning a force.

But hey, if they discover something that needs killin', well there you go.

It doesn’t matter. She has plot armor. 

On 5/21/2019 at 11:13 AM, Hodor's Dragon said:

She's going to end up in Planetos version of Aztec Empire, try to stop human sacrifice, leading to loss of whole crew and getting into a whole continents worth of trouble. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 5:13 AM, Hodor's Dragon said:

All these skills are not necessary!

If you just have to plant the seed for a bad spin-off...

She will discover an alien race and she will pass on the STDs she got from Gendry to them.  Because of this, they will become insane with hate of humans and invade Westeros wiping out humans.  We will then get the ending we should have gotten.

Archived