Arya the Explorer

23 hours ago, wvchemteach said:

The problem with Arya the entire Season 8 is that once they decided to 

1. Have her steal Jon's story arc and kill the Night King
  2. Give up on her story arc and finish off Cersei.

They had no idea what to do with her... I would have found her ending more believable if she would have bonded with someone who actually knew how to sail a ship.

Personally, I had saw her, becoming sort of a traveling hedge knight type much like Set Duncan the Tall from Dunk and Egg

To be honest I'd never thought about were she would end up besides 'home'. That she would be home with her family or a pack of some kind (and not some nameless hired sailors she is commanding, people she has actual connections to). I was quite open to her ending. I always did like the idea that she and Sansa would switch world views but that seemed to not follow through. The ending however just didn't resonate with the core of who Arya was to me. Arya Stark would NEVER voluntarily never see Jon Snow ever again. 

Her frolicking in the forest. I buy that. Like Nymeria. If she had her own 'brotherhood' of characters we know like Hot Pie. That would feel right. She gathers people to her.

15 hours ago, AryaNymeriaVisenya said:

To be honest I'd never thought about were she would end up besides 'home'. That she would be home with her family or a pack of some kind (and not some nameless hired sailors she is commanding, people she has actual connections to). I was quite open to her her ending. I always did like the idea that she and Sansa would switch world views but that seemed to not follow through. The ending however just didn't resonate with the core of who Arya was to me. Arya Stark would NEVER voluntarily never see Jon Snow ever again. 

Her frolicking in the forest. I buy that. Like Nymeria. If she had her own 'brotherhood' of characters we know like Hot Pie. That would feel right. She gathers people to her.

Book!Arya would never want to live a life where she doesn't see her favorite brother again. 

Show!Arya, however, seems to have chosen a new favorite sibling after she and Sansa outmaneuvered and killed Littlefinger at the end of Season 7.

Given how Sansa's manipulations led to so many deaths maybe show!Arya found a kindred murdering spirit in her older sister throughout Season 8.

5 minutes ago, wvchemteach said:

Show!Arya, however, seems to have chosen a new favorite sibling after she and Sansa outmaneuvered and killed Littlefinger at the end of Season 7.

No, that's simply not true.

• The Arya/Jon scene after Daenerys' victory speech is so sweet. Arya looks so vulnerable and they are so close, caring for each other.
  • In the Arya/Jon farewell scene she even sheds some tears and they embrace very fondly. They still are very close.
  • In S8E1 Sansa reports to Jon that Arya "is lurking around somewhere". The sisters are united, but still very different in nature and behaviour.
  • After all, Arya does not decide against Jon and pro Sansa, but to leave both, to leave Westeros, to go on adventures.

I agree, though, that Arya and Sansa both matured and now can accept there difference much better. The pack survives. They worked together for the good of the family. That's fine.

9 minutes ago, wvchemteach said:

Given how Sansa's manipulations led to so many deaths maybe show!Arya found a kindred murdering spirit in her older sister throughout Season 8.

I wouldn't phrase it that way, but certainly Arya appreciates the new toughness in Sansa, Surely Arya disliked all the naivete of Sansa as a young girl.

Arya running threw the streets was possibly the silliest thing this show has done and that's saying something. They basically turned Arya into Nathan Drake, who's basically one of videos games biggest Mary Sue's. The cherry on top was the random horse showing up for no reason.

3 minutes ago, sifth said:

Arya running threw the streets was possibly the silliest thing this show has done

And so many people enjoy exactly that scene. I believe it to be great and perfect.

To show us the horrors of war through the eyes of one of our beloved characters, is simply great. No focus on heroes, not even on her as heroine, but on the suffering of the common people. This is great and deeply appreciated.

The extreme power of the Dragon is also shown nicely from the smaller perspectives. The horrors caused by destruction.

There is absolutely nothing "silly" about this scenes of horror.

3 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

And so many people enjoy exactly that scene. I believe it to be great and perfect.

To show us the horrors of war through the eyes of one of our beloved characters, is simply great. No focus on heroes, not even on her as heroine, but on the suffering of the common people. This is great and deeply appreciated.

The extreme power of the Dragon is also shown nicely from the smaller perspectives. The horrors caused by destruction.

There is absolutely nothing "silly" about this scenes of horror.

Really, nothing silly?

Just her plot armor working on over drive. Everyone around her is getting killed left and right, yet Arya is basically just fine. A building nearly falls on her at one point, but nope Arya is just fine. She basically only has a small scratch on her face in the end. Not even one that left a scar apparently, since it's gone by the next episode.

Given the random "Arya the Explorer" ending we got, it would have been better if they just killed her off. It would have given Jon some true motivation to kill Dany.

6 minutes ago, sifth said:

yet Arya is basically just fine

She is lucky, but also injured. Showing us the horrors of the common people was a great way to spend this minutes. Using Arya escaping for that works for me. 

I am done with all this moaning. It's a TV show. This scene was great.

I thought it was necessary, as to the direction the show wanted the viewer to emote in.

Using Arya, darling favorite sister of Jon, as a potential victim of psychobitch!Dany? Premium points for complete irredemable villain presto. If they had showed it only as Cersei watching her domain get torched it'd be meh.

For a moment I thought they were going to fridge mini!Arya too.

So sending her off to be Magalhães? Wellp, after the shitshow of before? At least it goes to somewhat downgrade her from mustkill...

Then again she did go knife happy on Yara over her brother getting threatened.

And coming from a country with a colonist history? If Dany's conqueror ways are reprehensible, let me tell you 'explorers' and 'discoverers' of new lands tend to be morally dubious if not outright bankrupt on the grounds that the simplest misunderstanding can spark really bad events. 

Does show!Arya strike anyone as a calm and reasonable negotiator?

Maybe Arya the Explorer fits her to a t, then.

35 minutes ago, sifth said:

Arya running threw the streets was possibly the silliest thing this show has done and that's saying something. They basically turned Arya into Nathan Drake, who's basically one of videos games biggest Mary Sue's. The cherry on top was the random horse showing up for no reason.

The White Horse was such a clichéd cinematic image, I burst out laughing when she got on it. Too bad Drogon didn't kill off the Mary Sue -- Arya was one of the few people in that city that deserved to be burned to a cinder.

20 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

She is lucky, but also injured. Showing us the horrors of the common people was a great way to spend this minutes. Using Arya escaping for that works for me. 

Yea, if you consider one scratch an injury.

On 5/21/2019 at 2:37 PM, Oldcrow81 said:

So much this. 

Do you think the worlds greatest Explorers did all by themself? 

Amundsen to the North pole, all alone? 

Did Amundsen go blindly in a direction where no one in several millennia had found land? Not even the people who for many generations had dragons to fly with?

It would have made far more sense that she'd go back to Essos, where she had spent time. But apparently no one wants to go back to Essos, not even the Essosians.

24 minutes ago, sifth said:

Yea, if you consider one scratch an injury.

She was unconscious, covered in ashes.

And once more, maybe you reply to it after some time: The scene depicting the horrors of war for commoners is great. We see this throught the eyes of Arya. It is a TV show. My goodness. It's about what this scenes depicts and tells us. Not about Arya being lucky.

1 hour ago, sifth said:

Arya's POV's were always showing the suffering of the smallfolk while the high lords  play their game of thrones, through the seasons. That scenes in KL through her POV were actually very well done.

23 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

She was unconscious, covered in ashes.

And once more, maybe you reply to it after some time: The scene depicting the horrors of war for commoners is great. We see this throught the eyes of Arya. It is a TV show. My goodness. It's about what this scenes depicts and tells us. Not about Arya being lucky.

I just remember laughing my ass off during that moment. All these random nobodies getting killed but Arya was always just fine. Completely ruined the tension for me.

3 hours ago, Kajjo said:

You should just start your own forum about how great it all was. Turns out a lot of folks on this forum think that season 8 mostly sucked.

Archived