Were you expecting something different?

Heartofice

I’ve seen a lot of negative reactions to the finale, not just here but around social media. Lots of people seem to feel let down, and disappointed by the way events played out.

I didn’t feel that way. I guess I’ve now come to accept the way the show does things, it is not the same show from seasons 1-4. 

Which is why I’m surprised anyone is surprised! There is no way season 8 is as bad as season 7 in my opinion as that was terrible on every level. So if the finale had cheesy dialogue and felt rushed.. then that can’t come as a shock to anyone?

So was anyone genuinely surprised by the way the finale was done?

I didn't see how they could possibly wrap it up in 90 min so I was pleasantly surprised! It's the only episode that didn't feel rushed to me. (Well,on second thought, I thought the battle episode was just about right. How much more of that battle did we really need to see?)

Season 8, on the whole, even though it was rushed, was still better than season 7, I agree whole-heartedly.

In the finale there were several very poignant and heart wrenching scenes, and I like that kind of stuff. I cried a lot. And even though by season 7 I didn't like Dany much anymore, I still hated seeing her die, esp at the hands of the man she loved. I hated seeing Jon have to make that decision, but it was consistent with who he has always been.

Small council banter wasn't so much cheesy as it was just not fitting in this episode. In prior seasons, it would have been humorous. IMO.

I had pretty low expectations and I also have seen spoilers who were out for months before the finale, and I still got disappointed by low quality of ending of all story lines.

Others, Jaime, Cersei, Golden Company, most characters are like unlikable or feeble minded one liner jerks, piggybacking on actors back since there isn't no more great writing and using their emoting to grab those shiny awards, wrong and repetitive use of lines from previous seasons, lack of consistency in established lore and character motivations and huge illogical mistakes,  cringing jokes...

Show final season, especially last four episodes were extremely bad by shows only standards, not even taking books into account.

What I expected - - - ?

The most annoying character played by the less talented actor was "chosen" to be king (for reasons which just make me laugh out loud: "storytelling"!!!!) ? All these cowards who were far too craven to kill the "tyrant" themselves sentence the only brave man who was not as cowardly to a life in exile ? Jon Snow after all those years of fighting and hardships and pain getting exactly right back to the point where he started?

I didn't expect that. But if I had expected something like that I wouldn't have watched the show. I wouldn't have wasted my time.

The Long Night and the Episode after were absolutely shit. And the first 2 episodes went on a bit too long for what was in them. But the last 2 episodes were pretty good.

Overall, about the same as season 7, when averaged out. The lows were lower but the highs were much higher.

There are only 3 major things I would fix in the TV show.

1) The Night King - his episode was just handled so poorly and all the magical elements of the show totally glossed over because of it.

2) Arya's Bravos training - it was pathetic, her plot made no sense. She should have given up her identity entirely and been sent to Westeros on a mission and recovered it then. The way it played out made the Faceless men look retarded, like the rest of the magic in the show.

3) Dany's betrayal and descent into despair. She was an entitled idealist - so this ending for her character was always obvious. But it needed more coherent writing and a little more time to follow her downward spiral.

It's something about having hope, even when you see evidence of deterioration...

If an episode isn't good, there's always the possibility that there's something you've missed, some revelation that will come into play later that turns nonsense into sense. 

So, yes, I'd say that season 8 was worse than I thought. But I was prepared for it and managed to enjoy the good parts - the acting, the cinematography, the hard work so many people have put into it.

49 minutes ago, Vanadis said:

It's something about having hope, even when you see evidence of deterioration...

If an episode isn't good, there's always the possibility that there's something you've missed, some revelation that will come into play later that turns nonsense into sense. 

So, yes, I'd say that season 8 was worse than I thought. But I was prepared for it and managed to enjoy the good parts - the acting, the cinematography, the hard work so many people have put into it.

Haha, I really think this is it. This is the difference I’m seeing between other people’s reactions than my own.

Hope.

I remember with the Hobbit movies thinking maybe the next one will fix all the problems with this one. Never happened, it got worse.

i lost all hope for the show a while back. I knew from the shortened episode count there was no chance things could be fixed. The show was always going this way. 

I guess I’m just surprised by the surprise 

9 minutes ago, a girl knows nothing said:

I was mostly taken aback by how much of the finale was an epilogue. Seriously like half the episode!

Exactly! After Jon killed Dany, I really didn’t care about the rest. I would have rather just had a text scroll of what became of the survivors fate than that dumb shit that took up half the show. 

I expected (hoped) for 7 (or 8 really) independent kingdoms with a council on important issues affecting more than 1 region.

I expected Jon to go with the wildlings willingly and not be banished.

I expected Sam to marry Gilly and to see baby Jon. For Tyrion to go be lord of the Westerlands, to find out the name of the Prince of Dorne, who gets the Reach (not Bronn) and for R+L=J to mean something!!

Bran being King and the small council are my biggest complaints. Everything else should be dealt with better by GRRM but I see where it's going, anything end game KL confuses and angers me

22 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

I didn't see how they could possibly wrap it up in 90 min so I was pleasantly surprised!

Same here.  I was more than pleasantly surprised. 

Overall, I enjoyed the episode.

It's the only episode that didn't feel rushed to me. (Well,on second thought, I thought the battle episode was just about right. How much more of that battle did we really need to see?)

Episode 2 wasn't rushed.  :)

Season 8, on the whole, even though it was rushed, was still better than season 7, I agree whole-heartedly.

I would have to agree with this. 

At the very least, it equaled S7.

In the finale there were several very poignant and heart wrenching scenes, and I like that kind of stuff. I cried a lot.

I did too.  Especially for poor Drogon.

Small council banter wasn't so much cheesy as it was just not fitting in this episode. In prior seasons, it would have been humorous. IMO.

Perhaps. I liked it though.  It was fun and was a way to indicate that 'life goes on'.  I found it humorous here.

I liked Bronn being there. Davos was in the role i forecast from the books.  Ditto for Tyrion.  And (definitely) for Brienne.

28 minutes ago, north of the wall said:

Bran being King and the small council are my biggest complaints. Everything else should be dealt with better by GRRM but I see where it's going, anything end game KL confuses and angers me

How/Why does it confuse and anger you? 

I ask out of curiosity.

On 5/21/2019 at 9:04 AM, Heartofice said:

I’ve seen a lot of negative reactions to the finale, not just here but around social media. Lots of people seem to feel let down, and disappointed by the way events played out.

I didn’t feel that way. I guess I’ve now come to accept the way the show does things, it is not the same show from seasons 1-4. 

Which is why I’m surprised anyone is surprised! There is no way season 8 is as bad as season 7 in my opinion as that was terrible on every level. So if the finale had cheesy dialogue and felt rushed.. then that can’t come as a shock to anyone?

Surprised no, disappointed yes. D&D or Martin or whoever came with this finale, proposed a revolution in a fantasy world. A world based and build on kings, lord, dragons, magic, etc. Basically they killed The World of Ice and Fire.

On 5/21/2019 at 8:04 AM, Heartofice said:

I didn't surprise me at all.

I had not expected Bran to be King, but I thought about it and felt it possible nonetheless.

I expected Queen Sansa. Jon killing Daenerys. Arya sailing west. 

I expected the style and was quite glad they did not pull any white rabbits out of the hat in the final episode. The ending makes a lot of sense to me and the finale was done quite good and with dignity to all our beloved characters.

On 5/21/2019 at 8:04 AM, Heartofice said:

I guess I’ve now come to accept the way the show does things, it is not the same show from seasons 1-4. 

Which is why I’m surprised anyone is surprised! There is no way season 8 is as bad as season 7 in my opinion as that was terrible on every level.

Exactly my thoughts. I gave up on trying things to make sense in S7 so i´ve looked at S8 from a different prism, and while most of the 'sins' are still there i consider it to be a vast improvement; The Bells and Dany becoming her true self, finally, made up for the failures imho.

On 5/21/2019 at 1:04 AM, Heartofice said:

I was fine with season 7. It could've been much better, but I feel season 8 is much, much worse.

On 5/21/2019 at 2:04 AM, Heartofice said:

I read the spoilers it was as expected. It was an ok episode. Since I am team Stark/Snow I was happy with the resolution of my favorite family. But I would have made some chances to Jon's ending but over all it was good. 

1 hour ago, Apoplexy said:

I was fine with season 7. It could've been much better, but I feel season 8 is much, much worse.

I find that strange to be honest, I’m trying to go over in my head how anyone can find season 7 to be better, which is maybe the crux of my question.

I was so dreadfully disappointed with season 7, I thought it was the victim of cramming all the storylines into one, with some of the worst writing and episodes in the show.

Season 8 is also squeezed into a space too small for it but I found the writing and acting to at least be superior. 

Again I can’t be sure if it’s not that the show just broke me or not

Archived