Thank You George

DMC

I'm going to try to be objective/non-judgmental with this.  I think there needs to be an appreciation thread for what GRRM did at this juncture.  Personally, I would have no idea about this place unless he made the decision to option the property to HBO.  And I couldn't be more thankful that he did, warts and all.  I am so grateful I got to see his vast spectacle be (somewhat) depicted on screen with unprecedented production value for a television show.  Cheers!

To give the devil his due, adapting a novel into screen is hard. Even more when your source material is only partially complete. So D&D deserve props for having the vision and making it happen.

If we never get another novel from Martin, he definitely created a world that got our imaginations fired up and wondering what if. Maybe it's better that way, because the ending will always be green in our minds.

Greatest tv show of my life time and its not even close.

I've seen all the greats and this was the only one I felt compelled to discuss/dissect would make sure I was in for to watch live rather than download at a later date.

Now I need something new to fixate on, Vikings is great but nothing to debate about.. suggestions? beware I've probably watched it so might need to suggest a good few.

Thank you for starting this thread!

I hadn't heard if Mr Martin before I happened upon a replay of a S1 episode on HBO at a relatives house....at the time my partner and I weren't subscribed to it....I thought "Sean Bean and swords??? I can get behind this..." and googled Game of Thrones, realized it was a book series and well....the books are always better so guess what I got that xmas :) I gobbled down Game, Clash and Storm in a few weeks and we bought the first season on dvd so we could catch up before season two. 

Now here is the thing. I've always been a reader, but my partner had struggled for years with sitting down and reading a book because of her depression and anxiety so watching the show was a perfect balance for us.....she could enjoy most of what I had already been reading in a medium that was easier for her to digest with the show. But there was so much more I would tell her and she patiently sat and listened to me talk about the small things that didn't make it into the show. I told her she should try reading....she resisted....I lovingly pestered her to try....she resisted....and then she picked up Game. She read....and read and then read some more. Before she realized it she caught up with me and then we waited for ADWD together. She hadn't been able to enjoy reading for years and she gosh darned read GOT, ACOK, ASOS and AFFC on her own!!!!

In the meantime we enjoyed the show. Very much. It got harder to like it in the later seasons but we bought our ticket for that train and stuck it out. I will always be glad that it was the show lead us to Mr Martin. His novels were something we enjoyed together and enjoy every day. We've both done multiple rereads since and it's not just the ASOIAF novels either...we've read many of his other offerings as well. I've been fanish about other authors works before but Papa George is different. That's was she and I call him in our house....Papa George. Long may he reign. 

Thankyou George! Friends in high school introduced me to the books back around 2001. We used to have long conversations about who would be cast, what channel/company could actually do the story justice on TV/Film. In a perfect world GRRM would have had a chance to finish the series before the adaptation and D&D could have resisted the urge to add too much of their flare but largely, considering how so many adaptation go, I feel it was largely successful. So thankyou D&D, the cast and crew, and George. 

I've liked GRRM since reading "A Song for Lya" in an SF collection. (Fun fact: the central characters are named Lyanna and Robb.) It was a haunting little tale and one I could never forget. After long experience of seeing much-loved stories & novels brought to the screen in less than stellar fashion, I had a healthy skepticism about Game of Thrones, the TV series. I was pleasantly surprised to find it lived up to the hype.

I'm sorry to say that the show didn't end as well as I'd hoped, but it's been quite a moment in popular culture. I'm glad to have seen it happen.

Archived