International Thread 3

DireWolfSpirit

For whatever reason the other thread is saying no new posts even though its only at 395 by my count. Anyways I'll start a new one here.

More on Venezuela here- 

This is two Venezuelans debating Maduro's merits. A fresh perspective without "Propaganda Bolton's" paws on it.

New report that the Islamic State is still 30,000 strong in Iraq and the Levant. 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-obliterated-isis-lies_n_5b770480e4b018b93e9398b7

Directly contradicting American claims of having crushed these forces. They have lost territorial positions but the fighters are still out there and will undoubtably be heard from again, possibly concentrating more on international targets in future campaigns.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/us-charges-wikileaks-julian-assange-with-publishing-classified-info

It will not take long for Trump to bring the same  charges against the “legitimate” media outlets that publish information about his administration’s crimes both nationally and abroad is Assange is convicted. It’s a shame so many Democrats are cheering over this as if Trump wouldn’t eventually go after more Democratic/liberal friendly media outlets using this pretense when his crimes are unconvered and they dare to talk about it. 

On 5/21/2019 at 12:04 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

For whatever reason the other thread is saying no new posts even though its only at 395 by my count. Anyways I'll start a new one here.

More on Venezuela here- 

This is two Venezuelans debating Maduro's merits. A fresh perspective without "Propaganda Bolton's" paws on it.

A nuanced approach that doesn’t sanitize Maduro while making clear the last thing Venezuela needs is for the US to come and “liberate” it. 

22 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

New report that the Islamic State is still 30,000 strong in Iraq and the Levant. 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-obliterated-isis-lies_n_5b770480e4b018b93e9398b7

Directly contradicting American claims of having crushed these forces. They have lost territorial positions but the fighters are still out there and will undoubtably be heard from again, possibly concentrating more on international targets in future campaigns.

What did Che say just before he was shot to death..........

I got to visit his grave when I lived in Argentina. It was an interesting experience. I also left a rose on Evita's grave*. That cemetery is haunting to say the least.  (they're not buried at the same place)

ETA:

*I should clarify that bit. It's actually a mausoleum. The entire cemetery is a giant maze of them.

To use a phrase from my childhood, Kim Jong Un pants’d Trump:  

SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea said Friday that nuclear negotiations with the United States will never resume unless the Trump administration moves away from what Pyongyang described as unilateral demands for disarmament.

The statement by an unnamed North Korean foreign ministry spokesman published in state media was the country's latest expression of displeasure over the stalled negotiations. It follows two separate launches of short-range missiles earlier this month that were apparently aimed at pressuring Washington and Seoul.

Talks between Washington and Pyongyang have been at a standstill since February, when a meeting between North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and President Donald Trump broke down over what the Americans described as excessive North Korean demands for sanctions relief in exchange for a partial surrender of its nuclear capabilities.

Kim has since declared that the Trump administration has until the end of the year to come up with mutually acceptable terms for a deal.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/north-korea-says-talks-won-t-resume-unless-us-changes-n1009571

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

To use a phrase from my childhood, Kim Jong Un pants’d Trump:  

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/north-korea-says-talks-won-t-resume-unless-us-changes-n1009571

Waiting for Reborn White Man or whichever Trump-apologist was chiding anyone that wasn't celebrating the efficacy of Trump's foreign policy acumen with respect to North Korea...

:rolleyes:

On 5/23/2019 at 7:39 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Isis is hard to kill- and not the only problem of the area. 

I don't think Trump (and most part of the US Goverment) has a long-term plan or even the capability to have one for the Middle-East. Just killing Isis and the dictator and naming a straw man president like we saw and see that in Lybia. Syria is more difficult: it is a mess of international interests.

Syria has never been in our sphere of influence, theyve always been much more closely aligned with Russia going back to Bashar's  father. That coupled with a significant amount of Syrians that ive heard interviewed, feel Assad, in there view, is fighting the terrorists and see the U.S. as completely on the wrong side of things in their country. 

So yes I agree with your post Karneol, I am skeptical of supporting any of the factions that kept that country mired in civil war for far too long.

On 5/26/2019 at 1:25 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Syria has never been in our sphere of influence, theyve always been much more closely aligned with Russia going back to Bashar's  father.

The U.S. supports the Kurds very much and I heard they supported some of the democtratic protest movements for a short amount of time (or are they stil supporting?)

That coupled with a significant amount of Syrians that ive heard interviewed, feel Assad, in there view, is fighting the terrorists and see the U.S. as completely on the wrong side of things in their country. 

Who are they? Are they still living in Syria or are they refugees?

Karneol supporting the rebels just made things worse and ive been against it for years, all it accomplished was prolonged civil war, Assad is still in power and I dont see that changing.

As to your 2nd question, both people out of the country who wanted to return but couldnt because of the rebellion and of course Baathist Party members and there extended families. One was a lady of the first category at a McCain rally argueing with the (then) candidate over his policy in Syria, two others protesting outside a army recruiting center in New York when there was a great stir during the Obama admin and the media was beating the drums for airstrikes in Syria. As for the 2nd category there were many large Baathist rallies attended by the thousands. Altogether I probably posted 5 or 6 videos of actual Syrians that were opposed to the U.S. militarily overthrowing their government.  Even many of the Syrians that were opposed to Assad preferred him to the caliphate who they viewed as straight up terrorists. I can try to find those videos if you want but its been quite a while since I posted them, Obama was still President then.

On 5/27/2019 at 9:02 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Karneol supporting the rebels just made things worse and ive been against it for years, all it accomplished was prolonged civil war, Assad is still in power and I dont see that changing.

I don't mean to be rude but I want to clarify something:

I don't support any kind of international  interference except the diplomatic ones.

I state this so clearly because I had the feeling you think of me as someone who supports this madness. (if I was wrong sorry, my fault)

Syria has never been in our sphere of influence, theyve always been much more closely aligned with Russia going back to Bashar's  father.

You seem to have more expierence in this war, so could you please explain why? I only heard it was due to some russian military airport but I'm not really sure.

On 5/27/2019 at 9:02 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Baathist

I looked this one up on Wikipedia but found it only in English (I'm not a native speaker you might noticed). It's not really easy for me to understand it, so can you try to explain it?

15 hours ago, Karneol said:

I don't mean to be rude but I want to clarify something:

I don't support any kind of international  interference except the diplomatic ones.

I state this so clearly because I had the feeling you think of me as someone who supports this madness. (if I was wrong sorry, my fault)

You seem to have more expierence in this war, so could you please explain why? I only heard it was due to some russian military airport but I'm not really sure.

I looked this one up on Wikipedia but found it only in English (I'm not a native speaker you might noticed). It's not really easy for me to understand it, so can you try to explain it?

As to the "more closely alligned with Russia", Bashar Assad's father was always propped up militarily and politically by the Soviets during the cold war, they are strategic as a deep water port for Russia in the middle east is probably a big factor for long term cooperation of these countries which see continued to the present era with Assad the son now benefiting from Russian support to fend off the factions that were trying to overthrow  Bashar. This is and has been a long term cooperation that neither country will walk away from soon.

As to the Baathist, they have been the ruling political party in Syria under both Assads (father and son).

Baathist
/ˈbäTHəst/
noun
  1. 1. 
    a member or follower of the Baath Party, a pan-Arab political party.
    "high-ranking Baathists"
adjective
  1. 1. 
    relating to the Baath Party.

No mention of Bibi failing to form a government, triggering another round of elections in September?  Vox, as they love so much to do, has a pretty good explainer on the coalitional politics that's now put Bibi between a rock and a hard place:

The main problem is a political dispute between ex-defense minister Avigdor Lieberman, who’s the leader of the secular ultranationalist Yisrael Beiteinu party, and ultra-Orthodox parties — and Netanyahu needs both to form a coalition government.

At issue is a bill that would require ultra-Orthodox men studying the Torah to participate in the country’s mandatory military conscription (they’re currently exempted). The ultra-Orthodox parties are against the proposal and wanted Netanyahu to modify it.

But Lieberman, who promoted and strongly supports the bill, argued that every Israeli should share in military service. And he refused to join Netanyahu’s coalition government unless the bill stayed in its current form.

Well, who'd have thought it? The 2018 chemical weapon attack in Syria, the one that was used as a pretext to bomb more brown people, appears to have been staged.

The evidence we were never meant to see about the Douma ‘gas’ attack

We like to take the Big Boys on trust. No longer do we believe in our meretricious little leaders with their easy lies and twitters: the Trumps and Mays and now all the nationalists of Europe. We certainly don’t put any credit in Arab dictators.

But when, despite all its bureaucracy and corruption, the UN tells us that the world faces climate change, we largely believe what it says. If the International Red Cross warns us of a humanitarian catastrophe in Africa, we tend to take their word for it. And when the Organisation for the Prevention of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) – which represents 193 member states throughout the world – reports on chlorine attacks in Syria, we assume we are hearing the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Until now. For in the last few days, there has emerged disturbing evidence that in its final report on the alleged use of chemical weapons by the Syrian regime in the city of Douma last year, the OPCW deliberately concealed from both the public and the press the existence of a dissenting 15-page assessment of two cylinders which had supposedly contained molecular chlorine – perhaps the most damning evidence against the Assad regime in the entire report.

The OPCW officially maintains that these canisters were probably dropped by an aircraft – probably a helicopter, presumably Syrian – over Douma on 7 April 2018. But the dissenting assessment, which the OPCW made no reference to in its published conclusions, finds there is a “higher probability that both cylinders were manually placed at those two locations rather than being delivered from aircraft”.

5 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Have you got anything useful to say? Oh, no, it's you. So, no.

I thought you fucked off weeks ago.

ETA: You're now on my ignore list, along with all the other Nazis, cunts and morons.

It's just worth pointing out that the Syrian conflict is pretty complex, and it would be a pretty dumb take to try and reduce it down to some racial element or bombing people because they are brown. It would be symptomatic of a certain mindset to even suggest it. 

Since all the attention is on the 75th anniversary of D-Day, I think it's also worth remembering that yesterday was the 30th anniversary of the massacre at Tiananmen Square. Here is an excellent NPR podcast discussing the issue, including with one of the student activist who lead the protests. 

How a fake news story about euthanasia fooled the world's media

A young Dutch woman whose death was widely reported as a legally approved euthanasia had actually been rejected for the controversial procedure.

Instead, 17-year-old Noa Pothoven died after refusing food and drink for several days, Dutch media reported.

"There is a lot of misinformation in international press about the tragic death of Noa. Her friends and family want people to know that she did not die of euthanasia," said Lisa Westerveld, a Dutch MP who visited Noa before she died.

"To put an end to incorrect reporting (in foreign media in particular) about her death, we refer to the statement made by friends of Noa this afternoon: Noa Pothoven did not die of euthanasia," the end-of-life clinic which rejected her application to die said in a statement. "To stop her suffering, she has stopped eating and drinking."

Now that's some bad fake news and poor journalism about a number of very important and traumatic subjects: euthanasia, sexual and child abuse, and mental health.

Archived