International Thread 3

DireWolfSpirit

Why can't Venezuela give themselves over to right-wing  autocrats like Bolivia wonders not at all Fachist enablers: https://fair.org/home/media-wonder-why-cant-venezuela-be-more-like-bolivia/

It's a tragedy when a country can't be chiefly exploited by foresight corporations, America, and extreme Christian-supremacist zealots. 

On 11/27/2019 at 12:10 PM, dornishpen said:

Considering FB as a platform was largely responsible for the spread a lot of the hate speech responsible for the support of the Rohingya genocide in Myanmar I don't think we should assume that, maybe not English language, but FB absolved itself of responsibility for genocidal speech about the Rohingya by saying they didn't have enough moderators who spoke Burmese.

Zuckenberg is a pos, I am proud that I have never used his shitty little platform and life goes on perfectly fine for me without FB.

Apparently, Prince Andrew wasn't the only royal to meet the late and disgraced Jeffrey Epstein. Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway is now apologizing for meeting with Epstein after his conviction for soliciting an underage prostitute, including one meeting at his house.

https://www.dn.no/utenriks/jeffrey-epstein/mette-marit/slottet/crown-princess-of-norway-apologizes-over-jeffrey-epstein-meetings-tells-norwegian-newspaper-dagens-naringsliv-she-should-have-investigated-his-past-more-thoroughly/2-1-716538

16 hours ago, Tywin Manderly said:

Apparently, Prince Andrew wasn't the only royal to meet the late and disgraced Jeffrey Epstein. Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway is now apologizing for meeting with Epstein after his conviction for soliciting an underage prostitute, including one meeting at his house.

https://www.dn.no/utenriks/jeffrey-epstein/mette-marit/slottet/crown-princess-of-norway-apologizes-over-jeffrey-epstein-meetings-tells-norwegian-newspaper-dagens-naringsliv-she-should-have-investigated-his-past-more-thoroughly/2-1-716538

Ah the Epstein scandal. Truly a story  that shows with great power, comes great predilections to sexually abuse helpless people. 

Kidding. 

But it is disgusting just how people  who are supposed to be respectable people  got involved with that monster Epstein. 

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Ah the Epstein scandal. Truly a story  that shows with great power, comes great predilections to sexually abuse helpless people. 

Kidding. 

But it is disgusting just how many man who are supposed to respectable men got involved with that monster Epstein. 

Crown Princess Mette-Marrit is a woman

On 12/3/2019 at 8:52 AM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Kidding. 

But it is disgusting just how people  who are supposed to be respectable people  got involved with that monster Epstein. 

Really? Why? It seems to me that the low O2 concentration in the rarefied atmosphere the 0.1% occupies, and those who cloyingly hover around those egos, creates delusions that the normal rules and mores of society don't apply to them, and so they do whatever their desires dictate and none shall question their right. I don;t think the attitude that the people are there to serve their wants and interests has ever left people like this, and it infests the minds of the rich and powerful in meritocratic societies as well.

12 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Really? Why? It seems to me that the low O2 concentration in the rarefied atmosphere the 0.1% occupies, and those who cloyingly hover around those egos, creates delusions that the normal rules and mores of society don't apply to them, and so they do whatever their desires dictate and none shall question their right. I don;t think the attitude that the people are there to serve their wants and interests has ever left people like this, and it infests the minds of the rich and powerful in meritocratic societies as well.

This is a interesting and scarily, disturbing point.

10 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

This is a interesting and scarily, disturbing point.

There is the suggestion (not sure if it's been statistically demonstrated) that there is a much higher presence of sociopaths among the ultra-rich compared to the population as a whole.

I just found an interesting graph when looking at the workload and salary of teachers in international comparison. It is in German unfortunately, and also more than a little outdated, but it is interesting nonetheless when it comes to general policy:

arbeitszeiten-lehrer-vergleich-1.png

Green is the salary in 100 euros per year (after 15 years in the job), the red one is lessons per year and the grey one is yearly hours of presence at school due to regulation.

I was actually just wanting to know how Germany looks like in comparison and it kinda confirms my weird impression that the German Federal governments have a tendency to just throw money at their overworked teachers instead of adressing the problem of them getting more and more hours of work instead of, you know, hiring more to improve the general working conditions.

But... WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THE US?!? I'm barely operational with "just" 28 lessons per week, but... bloody hell, what's up with your hours?!?

2 hours ago, Toth said:

I just found an interesting graph when looking at the workload and salary of teachers in international comparison. It is in German unfortunately, and also more than a little outdated, but it is interesting nonetheless when it comes to general policy:

arbeitszeiten-lehrer-vergleich-1.png

Green is the salary in 100 euros per year (after 15 years in the job), the red one is lessons per year and the grey one is yearly hours of presence at school due to regulation.

I was actually just wanting to know how Germany looks like in comparison and it kinda confirms my weird impression that the German Federal governments have a tendency to just throw money at their overworked teachers instead of adressing the problem of them getting more and more hours of work instead of, you know, hiring more to improve the general working conditions.

But... WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THE US?!? I'm barely operational with "just" 28 lessons per week, but... bloody hell, what's up with your hours?!?

Might be helpful if you posted a link to that graph rather than just talked about it. German teachers are state employees, BTW, so there isn't much the federal government can do to improve their situation.

4 minutes ago, Loge said:

Might be helpful if you posted a link to that graph rather than just talked about it. German teachers are state employees, BTW, so there isn't much the federal government can do to improve their situation.

Sorry, my bad. I meant state government. My mind somehow has state level actors linked with the word federalism, therefore my error. And the png didn't work? Ah, doesn't matter anyway... I'm too tired to think straight...

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

Thanks. Not an issue at all for mainlanders, but for tourists and researchers who were on the Island at the time, it's scary as hell. Being an Island that is a volcano and nothing else means pretty much no where to run and hide. Sounds like it's too dangerous for rescue crews to get to the Island tonight (it's 11PM now) and there's between 10 and 27 people still on the Island. I imagine this will be the scariest night ever for those people, and hopefully they survive. There's no contact with the Island so we don't know if anyone left there is alive.

I do wonder in the wash up of this event if there will be some hard questions asked. A geoscientist that was interviewed on the radio today said that they'd been measuring an increase in pressure on the island, so they must have known there was a mounting eruption risk. You can't properly predict eruptions, but you can surely estimate the rising risk of eruption when you start detecting pressure build up. There should be a point at which the Island becomes a no-go zone and it stays that way until it erupts. It's not a long dormant volcano that's suddenly come back to life. This thing is an active volcano and everyone knows it's going to erupt a few times in the span of a human life.

16 minutes ago, Loge said:

Haven't seen this mentioned so far: The Trump administration is blocking the nomination of new judges on the WTO's Apellate Body. That means it becomes disfunctional and the WTO loses its capability to settle disputes between member states.

Wow, that doesn't seem normal.

Archived