DireWolfSpirit

International Thread 3

And the Rajapaksas are back in power in Sri Lanka. Fairly predictable after the Easter attacks and the fallout between Sirisena and Wickremesinghe. 

Bibi is going to hard to get rid of. But the indictment was certainly an important step.

On 9/15/2019 at 9:22 PM, dornishpen said:

Why did you like such an outdated article? It's more than 35 years old and those facts are no longer true. The majority of Ethiopian Jews now live in Israel and Israel carried out some now famous operations to bring them to Israel (Sudan and also the using many planes to airlift thousands of Ethiopian Jews in one day). 

Also just as an aside, unlike what that article said, ritual purification by immersion in water is a major part of rabbinic Judaism.

Just chiming in - late - to point out that those left behind aren't really all that much better off, AFAIK.

It's been - what, 15 years? Time flies! - since I was in Gondar, and we visited a Jewish village outside. Conditions were poor.

On that note, I seem to remember something about those still remaining being considered non-Jews by Israel, but I most certainly may be wrong on that account. 

Finally, a movie worth seeing that relates to this somewhat: Live and Become

9 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Just chiming in - late - to point out that those left behind aren't really all that much better off, AFAIK.

It's been - what, 15 years? Time flies! - since I was in Gondar, and we visited a Jewish village outside. Conditions were poor.

On that note, I seem to remember something about those still remaining being considered non-Jews by Israel, but I most certainly may be wrong on that account. 

Finally, a movie worth seeing that relates to this somewhat: Live and Become

As I understand it there have definitely been issues with racism in terms of the Ethiopian Jewish community and their status as Jews and their treatment in Israel. Israeli law though doesn't require one to be halachacally Jewish to immigrate, but to have one Jewish grandparent (so basically anyone who would have been killed by the Nazis). I did find this article so maybe since Bibi has been indicted and hopefully there will be a new PM soon we can hope things will change for the people mentioned in this article who waiting for aliyah, since it sounds like another racist policy from his government.

4 minutes ago, dornishpen said:

As I understand it there have definitely been issues with racism in terms of the Ethiopian Jewish community and their status as Jews and their treatment in Israel. Israeli law though doesn't require one to be halachacally Jewish to immigrate, but to have one Jewish grandparent (so basically anyone who would have been killed by the Nazis). I did find this article so maybe since Bibi has been indicted and hopefully there will be a new PM soon we can hope things will change for the people mentioned in this article who waiting for aliyah, since it sounds like another racist policy from his government.

Seems there has been movement on the issue in the 15 years since I was there. That's good, 

For the remaining few, though, this must be a horrible situation. Knowing that most of your tribe has emigrated, while you continue to live in poor conditions in a very poor country.. 

Agree completely on the "new PM"-thing.

Good speech. Wasn't sure where to put it, but because it's a global issue Int'l thread seemed most appropriate. I can't argue with really anything he says. Though I'm sure there could be some unpicking of the parts where he's talking about freedom of expression. But end of the day, every private entity gets to choose what information it associates with, and with whom it will associate. I am relatively confident that ISIS doesn't have a Facebook page or gets ad buys on Facebook micro-targeted to Muslim and Muslim-curious users. But I don't use FB so I'm not 100% sure.

10 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Good speech. Wasn't sure where to put it, but because it's a global issue Int'l thread seemed most appropriate. I can't argue with really anything he says. Though I'm sure there could be some unpicking of the parts where he's talking about freedom of expression. But end of the day, every private entity gets to choose what information it associates with, and with whom it will associate. I am relatively confident that ISIS doesn't have a Facebook page or gets ad buys on Facebook micro-targeted to Muslim and Muslim-curious users. But I don't use FB so I'm not 100% sure.

Considering FB as a platform was largely responsible for the spread a lot of the hate speech responsible for the support of the Rohingya genocide in Myanmar I don't think we should assume that, maybe not English language, but FB absolved itself of responsibility for genocidal speech about the Rohingya by saying they didn't have enough moderators who spoke Burmese.

Why can't Venezuela give themselves over to right-wing  autocrats like Bolivia wonders not at all Fachist enablers: https://fair.org/home/media-wonder-why-cant-venezuela-be-more-like-bolivia/

It's a tragedy when a country can't be chiefly exploited by foresight corporations, America, and extreme Christian-supremacist zealots. 

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

On 11/27/2019 at 12:10 PM, dornishpen said:

Considering FB as a platform was largely responsible for the spread a lot of the hate speech responsible for the support of the Rohingya genocide in Myanmar I don't think we should assume that, maybe not English language, but FB absolved itself of responsibility for genocidal speech about the Rohingya by saying they didn't have enough moderators who spoke Burmese.

Zuckenberg is a pos, I am proud that I have never used his shitty little platform and life goes on perfectly fine for me without FB.

Apparently, Prince Andrew wasn't the only royal to meet the late and disgraced Jeffrey Epstein. Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway is now apologizing for meeting with Epstein after his conviction for soliciting an underage prostitute, including one meeting at his house.

https://www.dn.no/utenriks/jeffrey-epstein/mette-marit/slottet/crown-princess-of-norway-apologizes-over-jeffrey-epstein-meetings-tells-norwegian-newspaper-dagens-naringsliv-she-should-have-investigated-his-past-more-thoroughly/2-1-716538

16 hours ago, Tywin Manderly said:

Apparently, Prince Andrew wasn't the only royal to meet the late and disgraced Jeffrey Epstein. Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway is now apologizing for meeting with Epstein after his conviction for soliciting an underage prostitute, including one meeting at his house.

https://www.dn.no/utenriks/jeffrey-epstein/mette-marit/slottet/crown-princess-of-norway-apologizes-over-jeffrey-epstein-meetings-tells-norwegian-newspaper-dagens-naringsliv-she-should-have-investigated-his-past-more-thoroughly/2-1-716538

Ah the Epstein scandal. Truly a story  that shows with great power, comes great predilections to sexually abuse helpless people. 

Kidding. 

But it is disgusting just how people  who are supposed to be respectable people  got involved with that monster Epstein. 

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Ah the Epstein scandal. Truly a story  that shows with great power, comes great predilections to sexually abuse helpless people. 

Kidding. 

But it is disgusting just how many man who are supposed to respectable men got involved with that monster Epstein. 

Crown Princess Mette-Marrit is a woman

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Crown Princess Mette-Marrit is a woman

Men, I accidentally used ”men” and ”man” when I meant to use ”people” . Fairly, stupid mistake on my part if I'm honest.   Weird how I missed it when I went back to edit the post. 

On 12/3/2019 at 8:52 AM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Kidding. 

But it is disgusting just how people  who are supposed to be respectable people  got involved with that monster Epstein. 

Really? Why? It seems to me that the low O2 concentration in the rarefied atmosphere the 0.1% occupies, and those who cloyingly hover around those egos, creates delusions that the normal rules and mores of society don't apply to them, and so they do whatever their desires dictate and none shall question their right. I don;t think the attitude that the people are there to serve their wants and interests has ever left people like this, and it infests the minds of the rich and powerful in meritocratic societies as well.

12 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Really? Why? It seems to me that the low O2 concentration in the rarefied atmosphere the 0.1% occupies, and those who cloyingly hover around those egos, creates delusions that the normal rules and mores of society don't apply to them, and so they do whatever their desires dictate and none shall question their right. I don;t think the attitude that the people are there to serve their wants and interests has ever left people like this, and it infests the minds of the rich and powerful in meritocratic societies as well.

This is a interesting and scarily, disturbing point.