Rothfuss XV: Move along, nothing to see here

Kyll.Ing.

inappropriate PM

more than likely the PM is unjustified otherwise?

Socrates is promoting the idea. 

i read the recitation in the latter part that imbricates the techne of the strategos with the techne of the rhapsode as a reductio ad absurdum that nullifies the proposition that the poet knows what the general knows.  this is the sort of hubris that socrates likes to challenge otherwise.

i get your position, though--socrates is also distinguishing the two arts/knowledges that the writer has confused.

10 minutes ago, sologdin said:

maybe some prequels about the villains back when they were virtuous, or an illustrated coffee table book about sex ninja technique.

Or more fanfic about one of his various dream girl characters having hawt sex with a female character from some other famous fantasy series. **crosses fingers for Denna/High Lord Elena**

10 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I'm missing this reference...what fan fiction did he write previously?

He wrote lesbian fanfic between Devi and Goldberry from The Lord of the Rings. Yes, really.

To be honest, I wonder if Rothfuss might be better off trying some stand alones set in his existing world (minus Kvothe). The world is a genuinely interesting one.

On 8/10/2019 at 4:51 PM, Gaston de Foix said:

I'm missing this reference...what fan fiction did he write previously?

For one of the “character v. Character” playoffs on a sci-fi website he had Devi beating Tom Bombadil by seducing Goldberry for some hot girl on girl action...

(I’m not kidding and I cannot find a link)

54 minutes ago, Brendan Moody said:

The Devi/Goldberry cage match is no longer online at its original home as far as I can tell, but the link below seems to be a full repost.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836768&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=39#post490921889

Thanks! And yikes. PR trying to appear bi-friendly but coming across as all male wish-fulfillment. 

Let me ask an uncomfortable question which has always festered with me. There is nothing wrong per se with writing that appeals to male or female wish-fulfillment.  And obviously such writing appears across genres and has genres devoted to it.  

When I think about what makes me uncomfortable about these much derided scenes in Wise Man's Fear and this piece, it's partly the preciousness of the writing, and the blatantly wish-fulfilling nature of it. But in addition, isn't it that he is breaking the unspoken compact of plausibility between writer and reader? It's almost like we are seeing PR not just nude, but naked.

Archived