Rothfuss XV: Move along, nothing to see here

Kyll.Ing.

On 8/8/2019 at 4:54 PM, Gaston de Foix said:

Thanks! Does anyone know, is the show a prequel because the team don't have the rights to the books? 

If memory serves, the development deal was for TV, movie, and video game rights. The TV is to be set in the world pre-KKC, and the movie(s?) is to follow the main series. 

But this is a vague memory of an incomplete understanding. 

On 8/12/2019 at 10:42 AM, Ninefingers said:

If memory serves, the development deal was for TV, movie, and video game rights. The TV is to be set in the world pre-KKC, and the movie(s?) is to follow the main series. 

But this is a vague memory of an incomplete understanding. 

Or an vague understanding of an incomplete memory (book series).

I have not read any of Rothfuss's books so normally would not post in this thread but for what it is worth, I saw him on a panel at Worldcon this weekend on (writing) death and killing characters and he said he has killed 5 people off in the book he is working on.  Also boy he seems like he thinks and thinks and thinks and thinks an awful lot about what he is writing...I mean I am sure most authors do but he seemed heavily burdened by the choices he makes and what he is putting out there in the world in a way the average author probably is not.  Having children and reading books to them also seems to have changed writing for him a lot.  He seems really burdened by what he puts in books and sends out into the world since having them.  No more killing off parents in stories for him apparently because of the impact this might have on his children!

22 minutes ago, lady narcissa said:

I have not read any of Rothfuss's books so normally would not post in this thread but for what it is worth, I saw him on a panel at Worldcon this weekend on (writing) death and killing characters and he said he has killed 5 people off in the book he is working on.  Also boy he seems like he thinks and thinks and thinks and thinks an awful lot about what he is writing...I mean I am sure most authors do but he seemed heavily burdened by the choices he makes and what he is putting out there in the world in a way the average author probably is not.  Having children and reading books to them also seems to have changed writing for him a lot.  He seems really burdened by what he puts in books and sends out into the world since having them.  No more killing off parents in stories for him apparently because of the impact this might have on his children!

I kind of agree with this sentiment.  And there is a risk in being too casual (see GOT, season 8).  But his avoiding parental death in his books will not prevent his kids from coming across the concept of orphanhood. 

8 minutes ago, sologdin said:

curious.  who are the five dead people in doors, then?

I’d put money on Wilem and Fela biting the dust with Simmon blaming Kvothe and Kvothe “losing Simmon’s good opinion forever.  It also wouldn’t shock me to see Kvothe killing Simmon (“Kaysera the poet killer was one name for Kvothe’s sword).

35 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’d put money on Wilem and Fela biting the dust with Simmon blaming Kvothe and Kvothe “losing Simmon’s good opinion forever.  It also wouldn’t shock me to see Kvothe killing Simmon (“Kaysera the poet killer was one name for Kvothe’s sword).

Whatever will be will be...

On 8/19/2019 at 4:20 PM, lady narcissa said:

LOL, the whole second half of WMF must be giving him the shakes at night!

• 4 weeks later...

This may be of interest to the posters on this thread:

https://deadline.com/2019/09/lin-manuel-mirandas-kingkiller-chronicle-not-moving-forward-showtime-project-is-being-shopped-lionsgate-1202735712/

Showtime has passed on proceeding with its television series prequel to TheKingkiller Chronicle, the bestselling Patrick Rothfuss book franchise produced by Lionsgate, with Lin-Manuel Miranda executive producing.

The project, which landed at Showtime in October 2017 in a competitive situation with multiple bidders, has been released back to Lionsgate TV, which has begun shopping the project, which has multiple produced scripts.

The proposed prequel series, written by John Rogers (Leverage, The Player), was to launch in conjunction with The Kingkiller Chronicle movie adaptation by Lionsgate.

.... The Kingkiller Chronicle is a collaborative franchise from Lionsgate that includes a TV series adaption, a major feature film being penned by Lindsey Beer and interactive games all being developed concurrently. Miranda has been attached to the franchise as creative producer since Lionsgate announced it in 2016....

20 hours ago, Myrddin said:

I wonder if the way GoT spun down post-source material has made some execs nervous.

Not that I know anything, Jon Snow!  but this croxxed me mynd as well.

However, there's also the enormous monster in the room of Lionsgate is now forever associated with Weinstein no matter who is forced out, to resign, to relinquish shares, etc.

• 1 month later...

I just finished Name of the Wind and will get to WMF at some point in the relatively near future.  Obviously, there's no reason to rush.  

I'm not about to read over the 15 other threads full of spoilers (two books that produced 15 threads... what is this?  A Bakker thing???) and I assume this has been discussed already, but figured I'd ask.

Early in the book there was the sign on Abenthy's wagon that almost seemed like it had to be a direct nod to Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden.  Out of curiosity, I hopped online and found something on Reddit with a bit of a discussion that made it sound like Rothfuss claimed he had never read Dresden prior to writing NotW.  The two lines seemed entirely too similar to accept that explanation though.  Did I miss something else along the way?

6 hours ago, Rhom said:

Early in the book there was the sign on Abenthy's wagon that almost seemed like it had to be a direct nod to Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden. 

You'll have to remind everyone what you're talking about.  I think we've all forgotten most of these books by now.  I remember some ninjas and some skinny woman in the jungle who was the living embodiment of the Kama Sutra, but that's about it.

10 hours ago, Spaßvogel said:

You'll have to remind everyone what you're talking about.  I think we've all forgotten most of these books by now.  I remember some ninjas and some skinny woman in the jungle who was the living embodiment of the Kama Sutra, but that's about it.

When Kvothe first meets Ben, the sign on his wagon says:

ABENTHY:ARCANIST EXTRAORDINARY

Scribe. Dowser. Chemist. Dentist.
Rare Goods. All Alements Tended.
Lost Items Found. Anything Mended.
No Horoscopes.  No Love Potions.  No Malefaction.

And of course, Harry Dresden's Yellow Page Ad reads:

Harry Dresden - Wizard

Lost Items Found. Paranormal Investigations.
Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
No Love Potions, Endless Purses, Parties, or Other Entertainment.

As I said, I looked it up and saw someone in a Reddit thread say that Rothfuss claimed he had never read Butcher prior to writing the books.  I can't read those to things and not call bullshit on that.  :lol: 

Archived