Rothfuss XV: Move along, nothing to see here

Kyll.Ing.

4 minutes ago, john said:

I dunno when Rothfuss read Dresden Files but he’s been quoted loads of times saying it’s his favourite series. They put it on the books.

It does sound like a call out.

Yup.  This may just be a misremembering by Rothfuss or a homage.  He also sets up a joke with "alements" IIRC. 

if not an intentional homage, they may both simply draw upon traditional language regarding sorcery,  we see this language in 5 eliz. 1 c. 16, the 1563 witchcraft act, whereby it is made unlawful, inter alia:

by Witchecrafte Enchantement Charme or Sorcerie, to tell or declare in what Place any Treasure of Golde or Sylver shoulde or might bee founde or had in the Earthe or other secret Places, or where Goodes or Thinges lost or stollen should bee founde or becume, or shall use or practise anye Sorcerye Enchantement Charme or Witchcrafte, to thintent to provoke any person to unlaufull love, or to hurte or destroye any person in his or her Body, Member or Goodes; 

the two items in common, finding lost things and love potions (i.e., provoke to unlawful love--down my way, it is a rape to make someone intoxicated for the purpose of sexual assault), are made unlawful.

9 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

I just had to come by and say I love the thread title. :D

Thanks!

I know it's like ten pages in the future, which at the current speed should take at least half a year, but I already propose calling the next one "Books? What books?"

On 11/7/2019 at 5:26 AM, Spaßvogel said:

You'll have to remind everyone what you're talking about.  I think we've all forgotten most of these books by now.  I remember some ninjas and some skinny woman in the jungle who was the living embodiment of the Kama Sutra, but that's about it.

Can confirm. I have no idea at all about skinny women, jungles, or Kama Sutra in the books. 

On 11/10/2019 at 4:32 PM, Gaston de Foix said:

Also the Kama Sutra bears little resemblance to Rothfuss' fantasy sexposition. 

He did ape the naming conventions for the various acts.  Kvothe "recreated" with a ninja and sex goddess in the same book didn't he?  It's all a blur.  Pretty soon in my head the Adem will turn into the Faceless Men and Felurian will turn into Ayla from Clan of the Cave Bear.  Rothfuss will merely be, The Bear. 

Edit to add:  Wise Man's Fear and A Dance With Dragons were both published in 2011.  Fun fact!

1 hour ago, Spaßvogel said:

Edit to add:  Wise Man's Fear and A Dance With Dragons were both published in 2011.  Fun fact!

My lasting impression of A Dance with Dragons was how the font and spacing were abnormally large for an already huge book especially when contrasted with Wise Man's Fear which was much more sensible in that regard.

Yes, 2011 was a good year for those who depended on PR and GRRM for their fantasy fixes.  The good news is that in 2019 (and I assume in 2021) there is much more good fantasy out there than there was in 2011.  And the meandering pace of WMF (basically it's all a training montage) sort of reconciled me to the thought that not all that much would happen in the Doors of Stone in terms of fully resolving plot points. It will not be the equivalent to the Deathly Hallows.  

4 hours ago, Spaßvogel said:

As stated repeatedly in this thread - A Song of Ice and Fire was never advertised as a "finished story, no more waiting for years to get the next book" while Kingkiller Chronicles most definitely was. Fun fact!  ;) 

On 11/13/2019 at 7:19 AM, baxus said:

As stated repeatedly in this thread - A Song of Ice and Fire was never advertised as a "finished story, no more waiting for years to get the next book" while Kingkiller Chronicles most definitely was. Fun fact!  ;) 

Haha...that's an excellent point too.  I went to a WMF reading.  [Side Note:  I usually bring a video camera to readings, but Rothfuss stated that he'd prefer nobody record because he re-uses anecdotes and jokes.  I decided to keep rolling and eventually got what I can only call White-Knighted by people who at first made sure to block my view and finally started l alerting bookstore staff.  It was at that moment that I felt like my neighbors were informing on me to the KGB.  End digression]. 

Anyway, at this reading, Rothfuss said that the book had been written, and endlessly revised and still didn't quite feel right.  Then he decided to create the framing story of Kvothe telling his own story to the scribe.  He then said "So I had to do one more revision to this giant story, using the framing story as the way to break it into volumes.  The first two you have in your hands, and the third one is almost there."  Then he actually took a jab at GRRM and said something like "So you won't be waiting five years for A Dance With Kvothe"  and we all laughed...boy did we think that was funny...

1 hour ago, Spaßvogel said:

Then he actually took a jab at GRRM and said something like "So you won't be waiting five years for A Dance With Kvothe"  and we all laughed...boy did we think that was funny...

It's technically true. Say what you like about Rothfuss, but he doesn't do any of this "waiting five years" nonsense.

Archived